Has anyone ever packed 5 days worth of stuff in JUST a carry on bag? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just got back from a 5 day road trip.

I always travel with a single carryon size bag, even before they started charging for luggage. My theory is that if I can't carry ALL my luggage and run through the airport with it, I packed too much.

For 5 days I would take 3 shirts (including the one I was wearing) and a long sleeve shirt, and another shirt I could wear over that or a sweater. 5 pair of socks and undies, 1 nightgown. I wear the single pair of jeans, but if I wanted a skirt or pair of light slacks it would fit.

My toiletries bag is about 8x10x3 and holds everything I might need. Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, antacid, Tylenol, diarreah medicine, cotton swabs, hand wipes, mouthwash, antibacterial ointment, feminine articles, nail clipper, nail file, sewing kit, comb, hair clips, nail brush.... It is constantly packed and ready to roll, and it fits inside my carryon suitcase.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thing to point out is that you need to make sure you have room for souveniers or you need to plan to purchase small ones.

I packed for a 10 day trip in a carry-on and a large purse. I washed clothes in the middle of the trip and made sure that things mixed and matched.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good points everyone! I was going to add - and FF beat me to it- that is you have five days worth - that can be multiplied into any number of days.

Yes, your trip to Maui will require much less than to Boston! Life is very casual here. The only challenge will be in transporting whatever you buy here!

I am planning a trip to Boston. I. The fall and would love to see those of you who live in the area!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One thing that I planned for this last four day trip to Oahu was a haircut as soon as I arrived= no need to wash hair during the whole time. Yes I am fortunate that the hair salon I'd owned by my DSIL; she does great work and I have natural curls!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I was going to Hawaii I would pack nothing but sun dresses, a bathing suit, flip flops, and a toothbrush...well hygiene stuff...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Things I bring back from my trips are small...or thin...like books and magnets.

I think sundresses and bathings suits would be perfect for Maui...our condo has laundry on site...so maybe 4 dresses, 4 undies, flip flops(2 incase one breaks),2 swimsuits, and a hat...

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would pack at least one nice outfit for a trip to Hawaii. Maybe just a light top to go over the sundress and a real pair of shoes, in case we went to a nice restaurant.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good call CH!! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This topic really intrigues me. DH and I are going to Las Vegas in July for a week, then I am continuing on to SLC for a conference for four more days. I was looking at a rolling bag that DH had purchased for college. My goal is to use that for my vacation needs as a carryon. I know that I will be getting a lot of material at the conference, so will ask DH to bring an extra suitcase with him (We are starting from different islands and he gets free luggage).

Think I will figure it out, pack it up and then use it for a week and see how it goes. And I shall be using all the tips from this thread!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Excellent thread. Something I have wondered about, if it's possible to travel with just a carry on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lots of traveling light info on the web.

Here are the packing posts from The Vivienne Files.

And here's an intriguing idea from the 'lady travel light' blog.
    Last edited by Early Bird; 05-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for the links - especially love the Vivienne Files.. She shows a cascading front jacket from DKNY which I love - in fact I just picked up a pattern for it and am planning on making it for my trip. I found a long patterned skirt at Kohl's last wheel - love it too. I have the perfect top for it, plus it can be worn as a dress. Need to choose some jewelry too. Love how this is all coming together!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This thread got me all excited about packing light, so I've been doing a lot of internet reading on the subject this weekend.

One common theme seems to be washability. There are lots of clothes that are made for easy travel. Here are some examples:

Vikki Vi
    Chico's Travelers
    TravelSmith

So, a while ago I started thrifting 'travel clothes.' Last night, I put together a possible vacation wardrobe, using pictures of similar items: Polyvore for Travel Light Vacation.

The shoes, earrings, rainjacket, and skort (which I still need) were bought at retail; everything else is thrifted.

But I really need to tighten up the tummy before I can wear that chico's traveler's print skirt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

very pretty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12