Has anyone ever packed 5 days worth of stuff in JUST a carry on bag?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Has anyone ever packed 5 days worth of stuff in JUST a carry on bag?

If you did, what did you pack? Since checked bags cost anywhere from 25 to 35 $ I want to travel to Boston with only a carry on...and my purse...what should I take? This is my list:

3 pairs light weight pants
    3 light weight tops
    3 each of quich drying socks, panties, and bras so I can do a bit of laundry in the sink.
    1 coat
    2 pairs PJs

Tolietries:

shampoo + conditioner sheets
    laundry soap sheets
    body wash sheets
    travel sized toothbrush and paste
    2 oz lotion(that works double duty on face and body)
    shaver(is this allowed)
    solid perfume
    solid deodorant
    lip balm
    dirty laundry bag

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That seems very reasonable. shaver is allowed. as long as it's a disposable kind. Not the kind that has a loose razor with it.

It's a bit chilly in Boston right now - mid to high 60's was the highest it's been so far. Don't know when you're coming here but if in May - it will be warmer still highs in the 70's. If in June - highs on the 80's.

Most hotels have laundry service - but I've worn my clothes several days in a row without an issue. Maybe tops and defnitely the underwear will need to be washed if sweaty.

Can I buy you a cup of coffee when you come visit? what is your purpose to come to Boston?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FN I will pm you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you staying at a hotel? They will provide shampoo and soap and that type of thing, most likely.

Do you need four pairs of pants? (I assume you'll be wearing one outfit.) For a five day trip, we would take one pair and wear a pair. Dark colors are your friend!

Wear your coat so you don't have to put it in a bag. Better yet, dress in layers so you don't need a coat at all.

Can you rinse out undies in shampoo and save packing detergents and all that? You would need very little for small items in the sink. I'm of the belief that soap is soap and there's not a lot of difference between various types. Don't forget a hairbrush and any meds you might need. I heard meds need to be in original containers.

Can you wear one set of jammies for the whole trip? Or take one pair of jammy pants and two shirts? Or no pants and sleep in undies? Short sleeve jammies take less space than long sleeve, ditto for short vs. long pants.

Folded socks take less room than turning them inside each other in a bundle.

Use plastic bags for dirty laundry. They take no space and weigh nothing, and if they get icky, you can just toss them.

We also have to pack light for our vacations. I can easily pack for a two-week trip in a medium size duffel, planning on doing laundry halfway through. We're camping, so it's less of a big deal if our jeans are a little messy than if we were attending business meetings or something where we had to care what we looked like, of course. For an eight day trip, we usually pack one shirt per day, one pair underwear per day plus one, one pair jeans per four days, one pair socks per day plus one. We have sweatshirts on board, so no need to pack them, but we usually wear a jacket. The sweatshirts are because it's not unusual for us to forget jackets, and being cold while camping is miserable.

Have a great trip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you roll your clothes, you can fit a lot more in your suitcase. I went to NE last Oct. and had no problems with 4 days of clothes in a carryon. That included several pairs of shoes and a coat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm...maybe I can make do with 2 pairs of dark Capri pants that modal fabric I think is light weight...forgot the hair brush and hair clips so thank you...may be I should just use the hotel items so I wouldn't really need to pack shampoo,conditioner,bar soap or lotion...I wear those seamless undies...that are easy to wash and dry in under 4 hours...I'm feeling pretty confident about only taking a carry on lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to AZ for 10 days with a carry on. My sister was a flight attendant and she has taught me how to pack a bag.
    Janine I am only an hour out of Boston!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you should roll it and it will fit just fine. have a great trip...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sm When I travel I pack my oldest undies with me and just toss them.... I also roll everything I usually pack 2 pairs of dark denim with stretch... I top per day and wear a pair of tennis shoes and wear your jacket..I hate hotel products thing they suck..I like to take baby wash and use it for everything.... have fun.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I always travel with just a carry on bag. I hate having to keep track of a large bag, and pay the extra costs. I echo the advice given here; it's what I would do.

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love the tips here...you all are some excellent packers! Will you be able to wear the same shoes every day? I have to alternate, or I end up in major pain, and having to pack extra shoes always makes things more challenging. I've always been pleased with the hotel soaps/shampoos we've come across and usually end up using those rather than my own!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure what you're packing complies with both of these sites. I suggest both b/c you are going through a Canadian screening to get to your destination and a US one to return home.

What to pack - Canadian Air Transport Security Authority

Traveler Information | Transportation Security Administration

If I am recalling correctly, you're traveling in the fall? I'd suggest bringing 1 jean & 1 capri IF the weather is still warm enough. Also don't forget to bring pieces that can be gussied/dolled up with accessories and a change of shoes should you decide to go out at night.

When I travel, my fall/winter coat consists of a 3 in 1 jacket (fleece + shell that can be worn as separates or together to be warmer) I usually wear my fleece as my main 'hoody' and carry the shell with me.

Also items to consider that I didn't see you mention:
    * a scarf (not the knit type to go with the winter toque but more like a pashmina/thin material type scarf that you could use as a shawl if needed)
    * 3-in-1 shampoo/body wash/bubble bath product - if they work for you and you like the scent. DH & I like/use this one when we travel b/c its effective yet gentle enough. Belcam - Belcam Bath Therapy Kid I think they're sold at Loblaw's/Superstore and WalMart?

Tip: If you're a small purse type carrier, use your purse in your carry on as a tote. Of course, anything you put inside should be placed into a plastic bag/ziploc first to protect the interior of your purse. Then use a larger purse/tote bag as your 'purse' to carry on as well to house your items - passport, wallet, phone, snacks, water purchased after you've cleared security, entertainment - camera, ipod, phone etc This way one bag can go overhead and one can be at your feet for easy access. I have never felt comfortable putting my purse overhead as anyone can go up there to 'get their stuff'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

5 days? No problem! Your list seems reasonable enough.

I cannot stomach most hotel toiletries so I have a wee travel kit with a set of refillable bottles that I use (it's small enough that it can fit in my purse). However, I don't stress if I've missed something. I've never had difficulty locating a nearby drugstore, even when traipsing all over Europe. I prefer skirts and dresses instead of pants. I find them more comfortable and versatile. Plus, tights or leggings can be easily hand washed in the sink, line dried and ready to wear the next morning. Add a few lightweight tops and cardigans for layering and I'm good to go. I also don't leave the house without a fabulous, generously sized, flowy scarf that goes well with everything I've packed (Target and TJ Maxx have a great selection of inexpensive options). My scarves have served a zillion purposes while traveling.

12 Reasons to always pack a scarf

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh thank you everyone...I thought of wearing a maxi dress with small sleeves and capri leggings underneath for the travel days so that is one outfit to be worn two days...the capris I can wear with a light weight tunic(like to keep my bum and tummy covered with hip length tops) and then just a couple tank tops to be worn under my coat with one more pair of dark pants...kind of liking this as a challenge...think a person could do 7 days in Maui with a carryon? Hmmm wonder if I could.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by forHISglory View Post
    I always travel with just a carry on bag. .
    Me too. IMHO.......the amt. of clothes is too much for just 5 days...........rethink, readjust, repack.

All of my trips have only been a carry on..............including 3 mos. (with possibility of 6---which it was) in Costa Rica.

Only time I had to check a bag is coming home from New Zealand...........they told me the carry on was too heavy..........would hurt someone if it fell out of the overhead.......... (I had to buy SNOW BOOTS while there.......that was the xtra weight!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast