Anyone travel without a credit card? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just some updates in case anyone is interested....

I have already taken my trip and using my debit card wasn't as big of a hassle as I expected. Since the hotel and rental car were prepaid I was asked to provide a security hold, each was under $100 and they released from my debit card within 24hrs of my trips end. The rental car company also asked for proof of my return flight since I was using a debit card and not a credit card. That seemed odd to me, but wasn't a huge deal.

The biggest pain was getting places to give me itemized receipts. I thought that was a standard request but customer service people acted like I was asking them to donate a kidney or something. The upside is I'm more aware of how all of this works since I'll have to make this kind of trip 1-2 times a year for this job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. I don't have credit cards, either. One time when I stayed at a hotel in NYC, they asked for a deposit, and all I had was cash. I didn't want to give them all of my cash, so they worked with me. I think they put the deposit on my debit card. I was fortunate that I had extra money in the account. Earlier in my life I was living paycheck to paycheck...it would have been a real problem. That's when I was still using credit cards, though.

I've rented cars at Enterprise with a debit card. They needed a large deposit, but returned it very quickly. I wasn't able to rent at Avis. I recently put a freeze on my credit reports, and they turned me down. I ended up taking the bus.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah the car rental thing is odd. I've had no issues renting at Avis with my debit card, but Enterprise was a huge pain when I had to use them last month. If Avis isn't an option I may try Hertz or National and see how they are with debit cards.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm almost positive you need a credit card to book air travel. Renting a car with debit or cash can be a challenge at some companies. I think you can pay a cash deposit on car...I think it's difficult to travel even with just debit card as some of the small gas stations will charge $250 hold on a tank of gas purchased at the pumps. It can be really big problem when your funds are not available when you try to check into hotel. Cash payment for mid-level no frills hotels like Super 8 is very common. Lots of the hotel's car traveling customers are cash customers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

just thinking out loud, I understand the reasons behind not having credit cards anymore but if you have none, doesn't that affect your credit score? or do debit cards contribute to your credit score?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To answer Bernice ... Yes, not having any credit cards affects your credit score because you don't have established credit. In effect it is the same as having a credit card with $1000 limit and a $1000 balance - you don't have any available credit. We found the biggest issue with not having a mortgage. The credit reporting companies don't give us extra kudos for owning a house free and clear. Instead we get dinged (slightly) because no mortgage is recorded. In effect they are saying, "Watch out! They may owe more money than we know about."

I'm finding more and more companies are encouraging employees to travel with company debit cards instead of credit cards. Often a company will deposit a specific amount on the debit card for the trip - enough to cover the cost of the car and hotel and meals - and have the employee use the card for their expenses. This means the company won't incur surprise expenses and the employee doesn't incur interest charges if the re-imbursement doesn't come through before the bill is due. My husband has traveled under such a system and the place I work now (a university) offers this system to our travelers. Now a days airfare is paid directly from the company. Hotels and rental cars can be handled the same way. Because of the bad economy since 2008, a lot of employees don't have the option of having a credit card and some don't even have a bank account so no debit card either. Companies are adapting to these current economic conditions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ugh, I didn't know that not having a mortgage is a bad thing to credit score companies. You'd think it would be "oh, she's a good risk because she managed to pay that off". I'll have to watch and see if my score goes down. thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frankly, I don't care about my credit score. The last time I had to secure a loan we did point out that we had a very good credit score then I made them rate us based on other criteria ... debt-free, mortgage-free, savings / investments, etc. No problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Debit card only, has major CC logo, and run as credit, never learned the debit pin for it. we drive places, use for motel and reservations, no rental car, yet. Don't travel for work. No issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Scout706 View Post
    Debit card only, has major CC logo, and run as credit, never learned the debit pin for it. we drive places, use for motel and reservations, no rental car, yet. Don't travel for work. No issues.
    Same thing here, I never have a problem paying with my visa or mastercard branded debit cards for any travel things including airfare and car rentals (I use enterprise mostly). They do take a security deposit "hold" whether you use debit or credit at the car rental, just so you don't "steal or damage the car".

I also have bought airline gift cards (southwest) with cash at the local grocery store and paid with that for flights - mostly as a move to get fuel discount points at the gas station when they do 4x fuel points. I know that you can buy gift cards from most airlines and even have them shipped to someone else. I get offers a lot to get bonus miles for my own frequent flyer accounts from buying gift cards to give, especially around holiday time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am also a user of Debit card. Never had a Credit card and don't plan to have one. As I said in another thread, don't use money that you don't have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by teddysheers View Post
    As I said in another thread, don't use money that you don't have.
    Or have a credit card, and get paid to use it. Over the lifetime of my cash back credit card, I've made thousands, while never paying a cent in interest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12