How often/how long do you vacation for?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How often/how long do you vacation for?

How many times a year do you go on vacation? How many days do you spend at a time? I never went on vacations as a kid, but now that I'm old enough to travel on my own if I want to, the idea of only traveling for a week every year doesn't seem like enough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went on lots of camping trips w/ my folks when I was a kid. Do you like the outdoors. Could you go w/ a group for the weekend and try it. Its pretty cheap.
    We havent gone on a real vacation in 6 yrs. now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby gets five weeks of vacation a year, but a lot of that is used up taking long weekends or a week now and then for big home improvement projects.

The most he's been able to take off at a time is two weeks. That's good for about 1,500 miles one way for us, if we don't stay in one place very long. We're excited because he may be able to get three weeks in a row next year, maybe. We've been most of the places we want to go within striking distance of a two-week trip, so would like to be able to visit some places we haven't been before, like an ocean.

The most we've been able to be gone was forty nights one year, split up on a bunch of trips. It was fun but it was tiring, too, because we'd get home and have to prep for the next trip right away. We put 9,000 trip miles on the truck that year, 1,000 miles of that just driving around inside Yellowstone.

We bought our camper with very specific needs in mind and we're on our fourth season with it, although we didn't get a chance to use it at all last year because we had an elderly dog that could no longer travel. But careful planning has paid off for us. Our camper meets our needs very well and we love going with it, even for a weekend.

I think the length of the trip depends on where you're going and what you want to see and do when you get there. If it's just going to be a lazy weekend to get a little break, then you can travel six miles down the road and accomplish the goal. If you want to see a particular sight or do a particular activity you can't do near home, then you can plan an itinerary for that. Trip planning is half the fun and trips are more fun if you have time to anticipate them.

You can cram a lot in a week. Our ideal one-week trip is about 500 miles one way, but we can do 800 or so comfortably depending on the destination. A week off work (five days) is actually nine days if you get the two weekends, too.

We're too old and lazy for tent camping these days, so we splurged on one of these:

Love that!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am a lucky person in that I work four 10 hour days and have 3 day weekends every weekend. I can do a shift trade with some one and get a 4 day weekend occasionally by working on one of my days off another weekend....

I get three full calendar weeks a year and use at least 2 to travel - the third week is usually spent working on a big house project like painting, landscaping, etc. I agree that it is not enough time. (my week vacation is actually 10- 11 days because I can take my days off before or after my calendar week with some planning. For example I have Thurs, Fri, Sat off now and my calendar week vacation of Sun - Sat matches up nicely for a 10 day. If I take the following Sunday too then I get 11 days.)

Unless I work comp time I only earn enough leave to get about 3 more individual days off during the year. I usually try to line them up with a weekend to make a 4 day off stretch.

I do try to do one "fun" weekend a month locally - this is something like a day trip or an overnight to the mountains (hot springs are my fave!) or at least a local museum visit. I also own a ski condo and use it in the winter (2 -3 weekends a month) and about 1 -2 weekends a month in the summer/fall. I find that for a weekend trip a drive of less that 3 hours is about all that I want to attempt, but there is a lot of stuff within that area that is fun to do...

When I retire I will travel at least 2 - 3 months a year and spend more time at my ski place (providing I can find space between renters - I was pretty full in Jan, Feb, March this year!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we do 3-6 days in FLA on the beach for easter - every year and love it...

4-7 days in summer on a beach in SC - fabulous!!!!

a few ski trips to NY - 1 - 2 nights maybe 4 - 7 times per winter (which is long lol as we live in ohio)

few wknd getaways w/ dh for much neeed time together - they can be anywhere in US for 2 - 4 days/nights

we still have a 13 yr old, so our longer trips are on the horizon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't out-of-town vacationed beyond a few days here and there in about 3 years. Prior to that, it was usually for a week or so. The longest was about a month straight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~5 weeks vacation and we take all but 3 or 4 days to head out with our camper. This year it will be 3-4 weekends, a week in the mountains, a week at the lake, and two weeks going to California.

Preparing for such trips is really hard for me, lots of planning and packing and making of itineraries. I love that I'm providing these experiences for the kids but in another sense, I'm excited for the days where I can put a couple bags of groceries in the camper along with a small duffle of my stuff and just go. I think it's more complicated with kids because they need more types of entertainment(toys, art, games, activities), more easily get on each other's nerves after hours in the car and a small camper together, and are more picky about food. And of course, I'm trying to make every trip as frugal as possible, which requires much planning ahead.

I have dreams for months' long trips when DH retires in 12 years. Would love to get in our class B(future purchase)and just drive up to Alaska, or out to PEI. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're the same. But my dad likes taking a 3-5 hours road trip to beaches so locally I'm well travel as a kid. I want to explore other cultures so I really want to travel outside the country. But my dad scolded me so hard when I booked a flight to Vietnam and didn't told him about it until only 4 days before my departure. He told me that even though I use my own money, it's not okay to just book a flight without getting their go signal.

Anyways, now that I am financially stable and old enough to travel, I travel overseas at least 3 times a year. At least a week for each travel, and so far, the most days I spent outside my country is 18 days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm making an effort to do more traveling in my fifties. In 2018 I took a short two night cruise from Los Angeles Port to Ensenada. It was free, thanks to a friend who invited me. He is the VP Entertainment with NCL. I only had to pay to park my car at the port, which was $36.00, I think. I also took Amtrak to San Diego and stayed one night in a fancy hotel, The Sofia. I loved the scenery on the train. A couple of weeks ago I drove from LA to San Mateo and visited my dad. I just stayed for two nights. I took a day trip to Healdsburg, which I loved. I also enjoy driving to the mountains close to where I live to go hiking.

Next year I have two cruises planned. It will be more expensive than the traveling this year, so I am saving for both trips. The first one is already paid in full. I will be cruising from Barcelona to Rome. It's a three night cruise, and I got a great deal through my friend who works for NCL. I also booked a Grand Mediterranean cruise for next November. It will be twelve nights. I will stay in Barcelona an extra night both times. I don't mind being super frugal the rest of the year in order to travel. Cruising is so luxurious, and I will have a balcony cabin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't travel much due to cost and work schedules. Next year, however, I plan on a trip to Hawaii. The key word is "plan." I plan on going to Kona with the family and renting a house. We'll do some activities and go explore a bit. Buy groceries at Costco and cook out. Get sushi and ice cream at night. That's about it but my idea of a nice time.