Planning for Warmer Weather Vacays?!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Planning for Warmer Weather Vacays?!

With the cold weather lingering, around here we are not safe until mid-end of April. I have been ogling things to do durning the warmer months.

We camp, quite a bit. We do not have the funds for fancy vacations. We are considering leaving our camper at a campground 20 minutes from us for the season. There’s no pool at this campground but there is an amazing stream for fishing and swimming, and atv trails. Our dgss’ have a 4 wheeler and side by side. The campground also has weekly events and daily activities.

I have also been looking at things to do that are close by. I hope to post some pics of our activities on this thread and hope others will share their warm weather fun too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

our friends do that have a trailer by a lake for the summer to go for the weekends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My youngest son is getting married July 21st, so no summer vacations for me~!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just talking on another forum about a gathering in Illinois next fall, among some of our internet camping friends from Ohio and Missouri. So far it's just three couples, but that's enough for a nice get-together. That's about 900 miles, so not real far.

We're also looking at a rally with another group of online friends from southern California. The dates for that one are TBD at this point, but the location would be Utah for a tour of the national parks there. We have wanted to see Utah for years but even though Husby got 5 weeks vacation every year, he couldn't take more than two consecutive weeks and we just couldn't safely make the trip fit that timeline. It would be great to see the sights and connect with some of our CA friends, too. Big bonus!

We also have plans for an overnighter about 120 miles from here. Usually that's a day trip for us, but it's near a town we're considering moving to when we get tired of living on the lake. It would be nice not to have to rush through our spring stock-up shopping by staying overnight, and give us more time to look over more details of the town.

We want to do another trip like that in June, to a different potential relocation town about 200 miles away. There's a bog there too, and we haven't been able to be there for the bog walk for a few years and would like to go do that again, too.

We're still talking about whether or not to go out to the Black Hills again this year, or wait. We used to go twice a year because it was a nice, short trip that fit well into a two-week vacation. It's only about a 900-mile drive, mostly interstate, so it's an easy drive.

I don't know if we'll get to do all this stuff, but it's all on the table for now. A lot depends on how much stuff we get done on our home improvement projects, too. Before any serious camping happens, we will need to do some local overnighters to get our dogs trained. They are currently not good campers in that they overreact to everything. First step will be driving them into town frequently and walking them where there are people and other dogs. On the plus side, they're fairly good travelers, so at least there's that going for us. They'll get the hang of the campground thing with practice.

For warm weather fun at home, we have our HydroBikes. It's a great way to get out on the lake and get some exercise. Hope to do more grilling, smoking, and Dutch oven cooking at home this year, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have some lovey trips planned. I hope they all come to fruition.

You mentioned your Dutch Oven, I love ours. We have 2 for camping. My husband needs to re-season our large one. He will have it ready to go before our first trip, I am sure.

The weather here in South West PA has been beautiful the past week. Makes us think about camping even more. I know my grandsons’ are ready. I hope to post lots of pics of our vacation fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't wait to see pics! I love seeing other people's trips.

What type of camper do you have? We love our Aliner Expedition.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Precarrious View Post
    Sounds like you have some lovey trips planned. I hope they all come to fruition.

You mentioned your Dutch Oven, I love ours. We have 2 for camping. My husband needs to re-season our large one. He will have it ready to go before our first trip, I am sure.

The weather here in South West PA has been beautiful the past week. Makes us think about camping even more. I know my grandsons’ are ready. I hope to post lots of pics of our vacation fun!
    Oh, I heard a lot about those Dutch ovens and planning to buy one for my next family camping trip. I'm also thinking now that I'm going to need a proper stove. Would any of these fit my needs? I'm afraid that a simple alcohol stove won't be powerful enough, but I'm tempted to get a gas one. What should I do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know your camping style well enough to advise about a stove.

We carry a Coleman grill/stove though we don't use it much. I like it a lot, just don't cook much due to extensive prep work before leaving home. My stove has a single burner on one side and a grill plate on the other. The grill plate can be swapped for a griddle, which is handy. This stove burns propane.

It's not clear if you are planning to use your new Dutch oven on the stove. While that's possible, generally they're used with coals below them and on the lid. Almost anything that can be baked in a home oven can be baked in a DO.

I reread my thread from last spring. We did make our 2 short trips, but didn't get out west. Didn't put the dock in the lake, so didn't use the HydroBikes. Didn't get the dogs trained. We did, however get a ton of work done around the old homestead, so that's something.