Going to Denver, CO tonight!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool Going to Denver, CO tonight!

Tonight my boyfriend, three of his sisters, and their kids, are heading out to Denver, Colorado to visit the rest of his family. I've never been out west, so the time zone thing should be an interesting experience. My biggest concern is the air quality, because they're a mile high, I hope I don't get dizzy or lightheaded.

Anyways, do any of you live near Denver? Been there before? I know it's last minute, but I could use some tips on what to see and do while we're there. We'll have access to a car some of the time. Other times we'll just hitch a ride with someone. So far I know I want to see Garden of the Gods, Red Rock, the Denver Zoo, 16th street mall, and the Botanic Gardens.

Anything else that's a must see?? All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Garden of the Gods is here in Colorado Springs, and quite stunning. I hope you enjoy it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

where are you going to be in Denver? The Estes Park Elk festival is going on now - its pretty spectacular. The Stanley Hotel is there - where they filmed the Shining. It will take you a little while to get used to the altitude - just don't overdo it - like trying to go hiking the first day here. Durango is awesome. Aspen is really neat the first time you see it - it is NOT for the frugal though!! If you go up Highway 285 from Denver you can see the aspen trees changing and I think they just got some snow up there so it will be crisp. The Rockies Stadium is pretty impressive as is the new Bronco Stadium. There is a great restaurant that looks over Denver called Baby Doe's - a little spendy - excellent food and you really need a window table - but the view is incredible- There is a lot to see here that doesn't cost anything - I typically don't like all of the organized attractions. Cave of the winds in the Springs is neat (by Garden of the Gods) and if you can get out that way (South) the worlds largest suspended bridge is down there - thats really cool and the deer will come up and eat out of your hand!! I'll keep thinking!! (I live about 30 minutes east of Denver in the country!)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know much about attractions in Denver, but I am sure you'll have a great time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh - all of the pumpkin Festivals are just starting up - they have huge mazes through corn fields - pretty fun stuff. Toby Keith will be here next week. The weather has been about 80 by day and 30 at night - plus it changes every 15 minutes so bring alot of variety. 80 here is hot cuz we are much closer to the sun - and you burn in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you want to see the springs, the sister to Baby Does in the Springs is the Sunbird (same company owns it) and it overlooks the Springs. In addition to the Cave of the Winds, there are Cliff Dwellings right in the same area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, thank you all for the great suggestions. How far is Colorado Springs from Denver?? My boyfriend's mother lives in Parker, so that's where we'll be staying. I'm keeping all of these suggestions in a list and I told my boyfriend I'd like to cross almost every one off by the time we head home. Lots to see and do. I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time!!

I thought it was chilly there though? Like in the mid 50s? I'm surprised to hear that it's 80. Knowing my luck it'll snow there tomorrow!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

at this moment the springs is 65.

it takes +/- 1hr to get to springs from denver depending on conditions/traffic. have fun!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you! That's not too far. I'm sure everyone will be up for the drive. I bet the scenery along the way is amazing!

And.... I heard through the grapevine that there is some amazing ice cream place that makes their own ice cream and candies out in the springs area. Maybe we'll track it down *drool*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Patsi's candies makes their own I believe. If you get through to the cave of the winds/cliff dwellings, you will be right next to Manitou. It is a metaphysical hippy kind of town, but if you haven't any intrest in that, they have some great foods and places of interest. Itty bitty place, don't speed through it, they are crakny about obeying speed limits. great touristy stores there too, lol. there is a glass blowers store there-manitou glass blowers- the make their stuff inhouse. and some days you catch it when they are doing their craft, it is neat to see

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Springs will be super easy to get to from Parker - you'll save a good 45minutes off highway time rather than coming from Denver. You 'll be pretty close to Park Meadows Mall too which is kind of neat as far as malls go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time, despite the family problems we encountered while there.

We were able to see and do quite a bit there. We went to the Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks, Rocky Mountain National Park, Castlewood Canyon State Park, the Denver Zoo, the botanic gardens, the butterfly pavillion, and bunches more.

Thanks again for your advice!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you had a good time - Colorado is a pretty place.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I had known when you were in the Garden of the Gods, we could have met! it's only a five minute ride from our house!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have fun and be safe! Enjoy yourself Colorado is beautiful this time of year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast