Is there one area you absolutely.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Middle East for me too! No desire what-so-ever!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Middle east ( israel excluded) and China or southeast asia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually, a friend of mine just returned from Vietnam and said it was the experience of a lifetime. Another member of my bird club just returned from a trip to the Amazon, and the Galapagos Islands. She also had a wonderful trip that she will never forget.

I wouldn't go anywhere where civil unrest was a major problem, because that is just asking for trouble. You can check for problem areas with Department of State. They have a list of countries at any given time where it is not recommended Americans travel. I would imagine there might be some beautiful places in the Middle East that I would love to visit, but obviously right now would be a really stupid time for me to plan my travel!!

Personally, the only place I can think of that I absolutely hated and never want to revisit is southern Georgia! Anyplace else in the world would be fair game.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

New Orleans, went there in July in the heat of summer and totally hated it. The food was good, but that was about it. This was before Katrina, and the city then was dirty and smelly. I won't go back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A co-worker of mine had to travel to New Orleans for about two weeks for work (before the hurricane), and he had the same opinion. He was really disappointed, as he was housed in the "French Quarter" and was expecting to be impressed. Had the same problem with Greece, though, so maybe it's just him!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been a member of this village for some time now, although I have never written before. (I think I introduced myself, not sure)
    This subject is very interesting and I just have to write what I think.

I live in Finland which must be one of the safest places in this planet. I understand that in the current situation in the world it is much safer to travel as a Finn than it is an an American or as a Briton.

I love to travel and I have enjoyed every place I have ever visited. I know that middle east is a scary place right now, but some of those other places some of you mentioned, I just donĀ“t undestand. Like China, how can someone think that China is not interesting enough to visit? Well, I think I have to accept this. We are not alike and everyone has the right to their own opinions.

And Africa, like Englislady, I have also been to Tunisia. I just loved the experience. It was so different and my children learnt so much (history, geography, biology, religion, politics....) We visited interesting places. The weather was fine, people were friendly, hotel was great and the beaches were good. We only had difficulties with food and that was because of the Ramadan.

I think that any place can be dangerous for a tourist if you are not careful. And, there are criminals in our own countries as well and they are not always foreigners. (Yes, in Finland too )

iida

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, if this thread did nothing else but brought you out of hiding, it was worth it. :-)

I totally agree that the world is far too interesting a place for me to just unilaterally say I would never visit any portion of it. That is why I chose southern Georgia - been there and done that numerous times, in numerous seasons - enough to know that for me, there is NO good time to return! Bugs in the spring, thunderstorms in the summer, hurricanes in fall and winter.

But when someone mentions that they wouldn't visit the entire continent of Asia, I can't help but think how many wonderful sights they will miss. I would LOVE to have the time and money to be a globe trotter!
    DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Iven no desire to EVER go on a cruise. Blah!
    Never the middle east, asia, or africa, or france.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm, right now I'd say the Middle East, but I do hope to go to Egypt in my lifetime. Columbia because I don't want to be kidnapped and marched through the jungles, and Haiti.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Africa
    I love the Middle East- Ok, well just Israel!!!! I'd go back with no hesitation!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since I am absolutely terrified of planes, trains and boats - if I cannot get there by car I have no desire to go. I really do not feel any need to leave the continental 48. Actually, other than a very select few states I don't have a want to visit much of the US either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can totally relate with you Neeley! I thought it would be easier to say where I would travel. Because I am terrified to be in planes or boats I am limited to where I can travel. I don't mind a 1-2 hour train trip, but that's about it. I am okay in the car too! I have managed to visit a few different states and Canada. I have loved every place that I have been: Canada, Maine, NYC, North Carolina, Florida and all the places inbetween. I wouldn't mind traveling a bit further into the US. In fact, my only travel desire (at the moment) is to someday do a cross country road trip with my fiance! I am hoping in three or four years we can take that trip during the summer (I need to start saving)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by homesteadmamma View Post
    Refuse to travel to. I have no desire to ever travel to the middle east.
    There are some parts that are ok to visit. In November I went to Egypt. It was so safe! Money from tourism accounts for 45% of their annual revenue. So they started the tourist police. They are EVERYWHERE. You cannot turn/look in any direction without seeing one. Our tour guide told everyone we're English because if the police find out we're American, they have real police follow us. Before going into any monument, our bags go through x-reay machines and we go through metal detectors. I know sometimes extra security is a pain- but I thought the seeing the sites were worth it. DH went to Oman and he said he loved it. It's really modern with shopping malls and a very western view.

I just wanted to share me and DH's experiences in the middle east. But I can understand not wanting to-the first night in Egypt, I was a little jumpy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Katybird View Post
    I would love to travel to the Holy lands but I would be terrified right now to travel into those areas.
    The church on base here is planning to go to the Holy Lands as a church group. Even with a group of U.S. military, they're able to do this. They just had to do some research. Some safety precautions like not going during religious holidays and going to areas that are touristy (more security in touristy areas).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess I should answer the question. I guess there are only a few places I wouldn't travel to. Probably Iraq, Iran, some parts of Africa. Pretty much any place that's on the U.S. gov'ts cannot travel to places. I'm still waiting for Cuba to be ok'd-I keep seeing good deals for Cuba in the English travel agent offices!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast