So do you wait until you're debt free to vacation?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default So do you wait until you're debt free to vacation?

I'm just wondering what everyone else does. Obviously, we took a vacation last year (and not the most frugal) and we weren't debt free and actually took on some debt. What a mistake that was and we realize that now. The thing is, my dh wants to take another vacation this fall. It was my idea, but then I thought it through and obviously, it's not a "need" and we could do without it. When I brought this up to dh, he said no matter what our standing is in life, we deserve a break from it all and he still wants to go. The estimated cost including everything is $1600 at the most. We could afford it without creating any more debt if we used his bonus money. I'm just so confused. Of course I don't want to live like a pauper forever (compared to our "high" life that's how it feels lately) and I want to eliminate the debt we have, I just have this niggling feeling like we should be more responsible. In all of my calculations, even if we used all of that money towards debt, it only cuts off a month or two. I understand the logistics with interest and stuff. On the other hand, if I don't allot that money for the vacation he wants, he'll find another way to spend it and it won't all go towards debt anyway. It's just so odd that I felt destitute last month and pinched every penny and now that we have a small cushion of relief, I could feasibly plan this. The guilt of my past actions is really weighing me down right now. It's also very stressful to think about our life and our finances day in and day out and a week away from everything would, of course, be wonderful. I'm just wondering what everyone else does.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why not go camping? You can have loads of fun and can find bunches of ways to save money.

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't really have all that much debt right now --- but when we do go on vacation we save for it. No extra debt for it. Is there a way you could budget and save for the trip? Fall seems a long way off I'm sure you could do it. Besides dhs HATE to be told no don't they?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We take a trip each year debt or no debt. I don't consider every trip a vacation (like when we visit the in-laws out of state). I have a schedule set up where we set aside a specific $ amount out of certain paychecks throughout the year and we use that for our trips and do not add to debt that way. We're going on a real vacation soon and we have enough set aside, even with high gas prices, to pay for everything okay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We haven't put all enjoyment on the delayed gratification plan. BUT we don't create debt to go on vacations, etc. . We're still not completely debt free but I'm not missing the chance to use some free airline vouchers to visit our son in D.C. this summer. The tickets there were free but the hotel will cost us at least $500 and eats will be that much (they live in a tiny one bedroom apt., no sofa bed, etc.). So it won't be necessarily cheap to visit them but darn it we're going anyway. You have to allow some fun, you don't have to spend like the Jones's doing it though. Do what you can afford, don't feel guilty about it. That's my theory.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went on a family cruise in 2003 to Alaska. We had saved for 2 years for this great adventure! What fun! It was so worth it!.

So, needless to say we haven't gone on a big vacation since. What we have been doing is all the things within a days driving distance of our home. Free days at the Zoo, Art Museums, Community Events and going to the many parks in the area. We also go on day hikes.

In the fall we have plans to Cruise Alaska again. We've already saved the money and are now just selling clutter items to make some extra money for side trips while on the cruise.

We also bought the best cruise insurance - just in case.....

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bet that cruise to Alaska was wonderful -- it sounds breathe-taking!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the responses. I was so afraid I might get flamed given how up and down things are when we're trying to be frugal. We won't have to acquire any new debt for the vacation and my cost includes transportation, hotel, entertainment, food, and everything for eight days. My dh has a painting job coming up as well as a bonus in July that would pay for the whole thing in full and hopefully leave extra for some debt. We're very committed to paying off our debt. My dh absolutely hates his job and I can't disagree that he needs a week away every now and then. We do take small excursions around here, but with gas prices soaring, we'll probably limit those this summer We invested in a zoo membership. It was only $60 for a family membership for the whole year and we can visit several other zoos within driving distance for free as well. We also have a lot of free beaches for swimming so we're not going to get a pool pass (I have mixed feelings about our public pool, lol). We do a lot of picnicing and we are only a ten minute walk from the reservation park so we do a lot up there too. I would love to go camping myself. It was what we did for vacations when I was a kid. Unfortunately, my dd is a little sissy girl, lol, and my dh is not the camping type. I keep thinking maybe someday they'll both surprise me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi,
    I'm not sure what your specific plans are, but have you considered traveling "off season" to wherever you end up going? That is what we do to save a little $$$ on vacation, and we get to avoid the big crowds as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First of all, I would not deprive yourselves of a vacation. Everyone needs to get away from the daily ups and downs of living and it is just what the mind and body needs to recharge and start facing everyday life again.

Now on the camping thing, why not have a family sit down and talk to your hubby and dd? YOU are part of the family too and your choice of vacation is important too. If you want to go camping, how about a compromise? Go where they want to go and the next time they have to go where you want to?

Just my opinion, but now is the time to start teaching your dd about other people's feelings and how to be considerate of others ideas and thinking. I know as the mom you want to give her everything possible, but this would also be a great learning experience for her and camping is fun! Just like trying out a new veggie, you don't know if you will like it unless you TRY it!