going on vacation with the kids any advice???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default going on vacation with the kids any advice???

we will be going on vacation starting july 3rd. we will be gone for 6 days. we will be traveling with the kids by car. any advice or suggestions you can give me for our trip? thanks ladies......i just love all your advice!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1. give up the expectation of the 'perfect family vacation'. You'll be sorely disappointed.

2. work on your patience, prudence....lol.

3. take snacks, drinks, games that can be played in the car.

4. watch for little things to stop and see along your way....it'll make the car crazies leave you alone a little longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, this may not be practical at all, but we leave űber early in the AM- I'm talking 3 or 4 AM. This way, our DD stays asleep for most of the drive, we don't get stuck in traffic (which would make the car ride longer and less tolerable) and we save money on gas because we are on the road less and also not using the A/C as much.

Are you mainly looking for tips on the actual travel portion, or the vacation overall? Are you travelling by car?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

kimberlina........we are traveling by car!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, then, like Lisa said, definitely take snack and drinks. Also, make sure you PLAN for bathroom stops, so people aren't frustrated when you don't get there in the time alotted without bathroom breaks figured in. Try to maybe get some yard sale toys or books this weekend that will keep the kids busy in the car for cheap and that they don't get to see/play with until then. Maybe print out free activities that they can play in the car: http://www.momsminivan.com/

If you like to teach during everyday life, try to learn about the things you will be driving past and then be the "tour guide" for your kids as you pass these things. Even seemingly mundane things can have really interesting histories. I mean, driving by an inc cream factory can trigger a whole conversation about how ice cream is made, the science behind it, what fun flavors the kids would make if they ran the plant.... Ask the kids what is different about places they are passing by and what is similar as compared to their home town.

Or you could always opt to try to borrow a portable DVD player. We had one given to us, and mostly we don't use it, but when we get really desperate, we put in Angelina Ballerina or Krypto the Superdog.

Consider giving everyone in the family a turn to "play DJ" where they each get to pick the music/station for the next ? minutes. Another great idea, and one I use CONSTANTLY, is to borrow books on tape or CD at the library to listen to in the car. If you pick something that they can all get into (I'm sure there are a few good books out there that a three year old can understand and have it still be interesting enough for your oldest) that can keep everyone occupied for hours. I ALWAYS have a book on tape/cd out from the library. Right now, I actually have 4- two for me, and two learn-to-read ones for my two year old that have a book that goes with them.

Lastly, make sure they are all dressed comfortably and that you have some small blankets in the car in case come are too cold when others are too hot.

Have fun!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hubby always worked night shift so he is up anyway during the night. Once we left at 10 pm and he drove all night and we arrived at our destination around 5 am, stopping mostly for me to use the bathroom. Also we didnt have a portable DVD player so I bought an power adapter for the car (around 25.00) and brought a 13" tv/vcr combo. Worked out great. They took turns picking the movie. Snacks, pillows, blankets, cards, hand held video games. When staying at hotel or motel we try to find one that has continental or full breakfast, fill up on that, bring snacks and make sandwiches for during the day and get take out for dinner or make something lite, Saves a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used to give each of our children a roll of quarters....it was their's to spend at the destination (usually Disneyland) but only if we didn't take some of them back during the journey....if they argued they had to pay up....after a few quarters gone they caught on really quick and the traveling was virtually argument free. Happy traveling!!!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use the travel and learn method also. Lots of family talk about everything under the sun. We also travel with books and tapes. DD says she travels with nerds! But she can hold up her end of the converstaion at 12. The standing joke is we are preparing her for those White House Dinners when she'll have to sit a table with strangers and make good converstaion. lol
    We also find the local NPR radio station and talk about the daily news. This always leads to many different fields. I always make sure to ask her what she thinks about things and give her plenty of time and intrest for her reply. Its one thing to ask what they think its another to allow them to form and explain an opinon. The hours will fly by. We did the same with DS when he traveled with us. And we travel alot because of our business. Bathroom stops
    and leg stops are always important. We have found many a flea market or roadside stand to visit.

Laurie in Bradenton
    P.S. DH always jokes that we're really the Mason Family traveling undercover!!!