holy cow gas prices are crazy - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$2.81 here today in PA. I gotta fill up later, I'll post what it cost me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ran to pick up gas for the mower and checked, the price of diesel went up 20 cents from last week, this is REALLY irritating because diesel is the cheapest fuel to produce and used to be about 1/2 the price of regular, now it's right at the same price as regular.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was pleasantly surprised the price dropped 2 cents a gallon to $2.79 since this morning. I filled up cause I was almost on empty and it cost me $35.00. Not too bad considering a full tank lasts me 2 weeks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cheap gas place is $3.10 (my car runs poorly on their gas :-( I filled up at $3.21....BP (most expensive around here) is at $3.21

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are 3.79 litres in a gallon. Here in Australia unleaded standard is presently $1.44 a litre which equates to $5.46 Australian a gallon, or if you like, the current conversion rate (Friday 21 July) is .753 Oz dollars in every US dollar which equates to $4.11 a gallon US.

I think the days of the 6 litre SUV are well and truly behind us. Although European countries are relatively more expensive than the US, remember that most Europeans don't drive - they catch public transport. They have far superior infrastructure and public transportation systems than the US or Australia. They are also far more progressive in terms of green power generation, mainly wind power.

Australia compares favourably to the size of the US (geographically) yet we only have 14 million taxpayers to fund roads.(from a population of 20 million, 6 million are retired or too young). Our fuel costs comprise 45% State government tax, 40% Federal government tax, 3% to the petroleum company, and about 1-2% to the poor old vendor (service station). This is a very worrying state of affairs for such a tiny populated country of which 2/3rds is desert or marginal land. The distances country people have to travel to just get to a doctor in Australia are mindboggling. 500 mile round trips for country people are the norm.

World fuel prices have been kept artifically low for a very long time, especially in the US, and I think we will look back at the prices we are paying now and think "those were the days....."

There will be massive societal, geographic and social changes right across the world due to the fuel crisis - I think we have had it too good for too long and a sanity check in the current madness of total consumerism is a good thing. But that doesn't help the people that join this forum, most of whom are really struggling already.

Solution? Well I don't have one, but I think the refocusing back to stronger community values and away from a less individualistic approach to life will really help, particularly for people living in country areas. I think people in urban areas are in for a tough time.

One good thing out of all this is that there will be more people helping each other and communally pooling resources and bartering and less people trying to go it alone. The world has been a very lonely place for a lot of people since the Industrial Revolution and the role and value of old people in the Western world has been derided or ignored for far too long. Hope for the future lies in looking back to the past...and seeing how our forebears coped without oil and petroleum in their everyday life.

Thanks for reading

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here in Nova Scotia, they recently regulated gas prices, changing it every two weeks. It started out at 115.8/lt. but now it is up to 116.2/lt.

Here's an article about it if anyone is interested: http://money.canoe.ca/News/GasCrisis...562468-cp.html There's been a lot of squabbling over weither it is good for the province or not.

Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was $2.91 on Friday here in Central Florida. I have an SUV, so I am even more conscious about unnecessary trips. Luckily, I live 2 miles round trip from work. When I have to go out, I try to do as much as I can in one trip.

My biggest savings is when I go see my daughter in South Florida. I posted in another thread that I now take the train instead of driving the distance. Saves me around in gas and tolls. ($120 vs $46 for the round trip train ride).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here in England it is now at $7.27 USD (£3.81)a gallon.I only wish we had prices like yours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ouch Phobe. It is $3.05 here and it really hurts. On the bright side, I just moved so if things keep going up I can walk to the grocery store now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

I live 20 miles from town so I have had to be frugal all summer with my trips but my little one heads back to school in the morning and I could not find any carpoolers for school. I wished we lived in town because I would walk or ride my bike.

Tori

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123