Grand canyon, anyone been??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Grand canyon, anyone been??

Were thanking about taking a road trip to the grand canyon in december. I was wondering if anyone has been there, any tips, ideas on places to stay to save ect....(oh and eateries too)

Blessings, Tina

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went to the Grand Canyon this fall. I suggest if you want to save some money that you do not stay inside on the rim. The prices there are really high. You can stay just outside the park for less. Do some homework and then go to priceline and see if you can bid on a hotel room. I saw many people bringing in food from this area (subway/Wendy's??) and having a picnic while they were at the park. We stopped at a deli and brought in some sandwiches and found picnic tables to eat at. This will be a very cold time of the year there so that may not be an option. I had a foreign exchange student who lived in my house from France. She has been a interpreter down there for the past few years during the summer. She said that the hotel that she works at pretty much closes down during the winter. Make sure you check all this out before you go. If you can....make plans to see Mesa Verde. It is only a half day trip from the canyon and REALLY REALLY worth it!!!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We were on the North Rim, which is a lot less crowded, but it's closed in the winter.

Apparently you can stay in Williams and take the train (in summer at least), but we looked for a room in Williams when we were driving back from Vegas and found it fairly expensive. Flagstaff was only a short drive down the road and a lot cheaper. I don't know if that is too far from the canyon for you to stay.

Montezuma's Castle NM, between Flagstaff & Phoenix was the most incredible thing I've ever seen.

If you don't have a National Park pass, it's probably something to look at. We got our money's worth 3 times over in the 2 weeks we were in Arizona, plus I think that it was good for a year (but we weren't in the States again to use it). I don't know if they've changed it, that was a couple years ago.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've always wanted to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been and it is a wonder to behold. However, it has been quite awhile since our family went, so I would not be able to give advice on hotels or eats. Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been there, too, but not since I was a teenager. It was really a lot of fun. You will love it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like some of the others, I have been but it was a long time ago..in the early 80's. I am so sure it has changed alot. But I do remember we packed our own food. It was to expensive to eat out with 6 of us. We also camped with tents, but I would say that it would be a little chilly for that. Be sure and check out any Good Sam RV parks. Some one them have little cabins to rent and usually they aren't to expensive...Have fun and enjoy the beauty that only God could have created....Blessings...Kathy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my family went we just stopped through for the day. The best time to go - regardless of temp (just bundle up!) is sunrise. All I could say was WOWZAS! We all SHUT UP - no fighting, no whining LOL and once sun was up we drove around to another spot and took pics. Its beautiful and Id love to go back someday. Bring plenty of film/batteries etc b/c you'll love taking pics there even if you're not a pic taking kinda person.