Key West, FL

Thread: Key West, FL

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Key West, FL

Dh and I scrapped our plans for a big expensive vacation and instead for less than $1000 we're staying in Key West (never been) and that covers airfare, hotel for a week! We would have spent 3x this amount (HAWAII) but since our house isn't selling we decided we shouldn't spend that much so the money we have saved up for trip #1 will more than cover this trip. Anyone have any advice?? I so cannot wait!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do not drive! Driving in Key West is a nightmare, walk or cab or motor bike everywhere. Do not miss the sunset parties at the pier, a fun hour can be spent doing the conch train tour and they do a cute photo, there is now a hard rock cafe and last time I went there was a new planet hollywood. Key West aloe has nice products, try the "chocolate bar" frozen drink at Fat Tuesday on Duval St., if you go during a slow time the bartenders will let you try the different drinks, the orange slushy one is good too. Margaritaville has a great shop, but the food and drinks are pricy and overrated (it was always our first stop for a margarita and burger in the afternoon, there is usually music in the afternoon too) The Bull on Duval is good for afternoon drinks and a more laid back, accoustic atmosphere. The Hogs Breath is a big, fun bar at the end of duval, but it gets a little crazy for me, especially as it gets later. Late nights at Sloppy Joes are great, usually a good band and dancing, Rick's is right across the street and generally open a bit later, the upstairs outdoor bar is fun, when they close there is a pizza window right downstairs, not sure if the pizza is as good as I remember, or if the drinks always make it seem incredibly good! Stop and take a picture at the southernmost point and check out the Hemingway house (but if your allergic to cat don't go in). Don't bother going to the beach, most hotels have nice pools, snorkelling is great, I especially like the catamaran tours, just make sure you go when the water is calm, you go right out to the reefs and get tossed around in rough waters, also leave your jewelry in the hotel safe, I had a run in with a 10 ft barracuda on our last trip. Make sure you check out the galleries and shops, but don't buy too much, prices are terrible and much is designed for the cruise crowds. It's been a while since our last trip-I used to go fairly regularly 2-3 xs per year when I was young and single. ENJOY!!! I am so jealous!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do Margaritaville too. Key Lime Pie there is to die for The margaritas aren't bad either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are gonna have suck a great time! I remember me and dh going there probably around 12 years ago. One of the best trips we took. Enjoy yourselves!

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

JerseyGirl knows her Key West!! Sundowners Plaza for sunset is a must. Sloppy Joes has good food. Personally I would skip Hard Rock Cafe. The food isn't eatible-gave it 3 chances. Chat up the locals for more great suggestions. We go every year and always have a great time.

Have a fantastic vacation. Ft. Lauderdale is sunny and warm and nice breezes right now.

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

JerseyGirl knows her Key West!! Sundowners Plaza for sunset is a must. Sloppy Joes has good food. Personally I would skip Hard Rock Cafe. The food isn't eatible-gave it 3 chances. Chat up the locals for more great suggestions. We go every year and always have a great time.

Have a fantastic vacation. Ft. Lauderdale is sunny and warm and nice breezes right now.

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great advice everyone -- I'm reading everything off to dh to keep track.

What I like the most about Key West is you don't need to get a car rental. Can you rent bikes for the day or what? We were thinking about renting a car for a day or 2 maybe and driving up to the other keys but just a thought.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't miss Audubon'House. There is a great open air warf type resturant at the end of Front St. in the marina. Jimmy Buffet has his recording studio there, a very nondescript white cement building, but we ended up having lunch with Toby Keith because he was there recording in it. He came into the bar where we were sitting and eating and sat down next to us. According to the bartender it happens all the time. Folks come down to record and step over for lunch.

I've got a street map and a couple of books on cheap things to do there. Send me a mailing address and I'll send them to you.
    There are also some really good used books stores off Duval street I always come home with a few new treasures.
    Take the time to walk throught the Key West Cemetary you'll find some intresting head stones.
    Watch out for the days that the cruise ships come in as the places floods with folks and its a mad house. Good day to explore an upper key.
    Try some of the off the beaten path places to eat you'll get great food and a cheap price. Chicken and yellow rice with black beans is a biggy. Very filling.
    If you leave without being at a sunset party you've wasted a trip. We went everynight, no two the same. Take a guided tour either the Conch Train or the Trolley the first day to get a good overview of everything.
    Most of all enjoy yourself.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

and we all want to see pictures when you get back