Ohio/Penn State anyone?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Ohio/Penn State anyone?

K girls....I need some advice on what there is to see in OHIO and PENN STATE.

My plans for this upcoming weekend is a mini family vacation and we're driving to Windsor, Ontario (Canada) and then going to take a ferry over to Pelee Island and from there to Sandusky, OH. We're not sure where to go, what to see in that vicinity before we head over to Penn State.

Just trying to surf for ideas on what to see in either state. Any idears?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OHHHHHHHHHH go to Cedar Point! It's in Sandusky, one of the BEST amusement parks with the most roller coasters, the best!

Amish country is about 1 1/2 hours south of Sandusky, heck let me know, I'll give you a behind the scenes Amish tour, introducing you to our friends

Cleveland has the Rocknroll hall of fame also!

Have fun!
    kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cedar Point is definitely a must go to. It is on Lake Erie and really neat!! Cleveland also, has a zoo, which is supposed to be nice. Put-N-Bay is really nice and there are ferries to take you to the islands. For adults there are winery's too. Also, there is Geneva on the Lake, it is also, on Lake Erie and has older and some newer rides etc. It is really nice too. Enjoy the BUckeye state.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think we've narrowed it down. My dad's not big on museums, art galleries etc nor any amusement parks So it looks like a city tour of both Sandusky, OH and Pittsburgh, PA and some shopping. Plus he's not able to walk as far/much as he used to so we need a very laid back trip. Im sure we'll find something along the way - the travel stops usually have flyers etc. Plus if its superhot with the heat index we'll be looking to stay inside somewhere. Must pack bathing suit though for a quick stint in the hotel pool!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Pittsburgh- I live in the suburbs north of Pittsburgh! Is there anything special that you were thinking of doing while you are in the city? The big to do this year is going to the Pittsburgh Zoo, they have a new polar bear exhibit (we have not gone to see it yet- we will be going there in the fall when it is a bit cooler- the animals are more active). You have to check out Pittsburgh from the Duquense Incline and check out the view from Mount Washington (gorgeous view of the city). If there is anything that you need help with or questions about Pittsburgh I can try to help you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just wanted to add a few more ideas for you to do while in Pittsburgh- you can go on the Gateway Clipper- it is a nice steam boat ride that takes you on the rivers and gives nice views of the city. If you are coming to Pittsburgh via interstate 79 there is a nice outlet store at Grove City Outlets (there is quite a bit of walking involved however). I also wanted to let you know that at the Pittsburgh Zoo I believe that they have wheelchairs available in case you dad is tired. There is a lot of nice malls in the area- so you will be able to find somethings really nice (Pa does not tax clothes- which is a nice added bonus!). Feel free to pm me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were near Penn State 2 years ago and we went to this place called Penn Cave. You take this boat ride in this big cave and it is really cool. Outside of Penn Cave is a nature preserve with all these wild animals and you ride thru it on a bus and that was cool too. If you go to Pittsburg, go to the Golden Corral to eat. That is the most awesome buffet I have ever seen. It dosen't look like much from the front but after you get in, WOW.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Shortys Returned!

HAHAHAHA I KNEW I shouldve checked the village from the hotel computer at the business centre!!! Look at the tips I just missed But they have been noted for next time - Pittsburgh is only a 5 hour drive I believe. I may consider going there in the fall with the bf if time and the budget allows.

We discovered Pelee Island, Ontario - was very hot and sunny! TOO hot. Beautiful scenery and I got to see the lighthouse - I love those things!

Upon leaving Pelee, we took the ferry to Sandusky - and I must say WOW about Cedar Point - the rollar coasters - from what we saw on the ferry - had my jaw on the floor. I tried to take pics as we passed it. Will post them later for sure!

We just made our own tour of downtown Sandusky, OH and then headed over to Cleveland, OH. Saw Tower City (used to be an old train station I think) Its beautiful inside and out. I love how the city keeps the facades of the old buildings but the insides are so modern! We also drove by the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame but due to our time of arrival - not enough to go through it Next time for sure! However my sister wanted to go and visit this large outdoor mall - kinda high end: Legacy Village. SOOO not frugal but nice to visit.

In Pittsburgh, PA again we made our own city tour using the brochures from the visitor centre as a guidline on what there is to do in the city. I LOVE THIS CITY!! Its beautiful with its many bridges, and I couldnt believe that downtown was on an island. I saw the many stadiums they have for their sports teams either. We did go up the Duqense Incline but not the Mt Washington one. I think next visit, I'll try that one instead. The view was gorgeous - just as the skies opened up LOL We were forced to take cover indoors aka SHOPPING!! We went to Century III mall. We also stopped at Prime Outlets in Grove City and loved it. We made my dad sit inside each store vs outside b/c it was just too humid this weekend. We also made a quick stop and tour of Erie, PA which is beautiful and did a bit of our last minute shopping there.

PQB57 - Sadly Im very familiar with the Golden Corral we discovered this buffet chain eons ago and each time we need to stop for the night my sis would look it up or even google it ahead of vacation and planned our hotels within the same city. YES she loves it that much. I do admit, its a great buffet but when you're on the road eating out non stop - nothing really is spectacular anymore right? But its always on our 'must stop and visit' lists for each roadtrip

All in all - I enjoyed this rush trip but due to the weather we were unable to tour around as much as we'd liked and hoped but there's always next time right? Pittsburgh isnt really all that far.....and Erie, PA is where Im going to go shopping next time I need something and make it a wknd trip!

I'll post pictures later somewhere, somehow Sorry this was so long, just had to try to get the details in!

PS: I think the best bargain I found was Febreeze at Big Lots after reading y'all talking about it non stop I finally got to visit that store and must admit I have a keen liking for it now! 2L refill of Febreeze Allergen was $5. A regular small bottle is about $6 here in Canada and its not even close to 2L. I guess you could say I cleaned the shelf out - there were 3 bottles left so I let my sister have one and I took the last two!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so glad that you had a great time! BTW- you did get to check out the views from Mt. Washington- that little overhang is what we consider Mt. Washington- isn't it beautiful! I am glad that someone else thinks Pittsburgh is just as beautiful as we think!!

If you do come in the fall time- definately check out the zoo- the animals are more active and the humidity is not as bad (the humidity is the ick factor to this area!). We usually only go to the zoo in the fall in mid-spring just for that reason!

I am glad that you found Grove City on your own! Sometimes you can get really great deals from there (my Gap obsessed daughter really enjoys when we go there!). Next time you come to the area (if you use I-79 again)- I believe that the next few exits going south can take you to McConnels Mills- if you enjoy pretty nature at it's best- you should take a good 1.5-2 hour stop there- it is absolutely beautiful- especially in the fall!

Great deal finding at Big Lots- I love that store- especially around Christmas time- you can get great toys for really cheap!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So glad you had fun and have to tell you that hubby was responsible for all the doors and hardware on the facelift on tower city His mom was a personal assistant for YEARS to Sam Miller who runs the whole huge Ratner family enterprises. I've heard TONS of cool stories about the behind the scenes places in the Tower, oh, and gotta laugh, packrat hubby got ALL the super old paperwork that was stored in the back rooms from when it was a RR station, he traded most of it but we still have LOTS of signed pieces, documents and letters etc regarding the origional construction!

Hope you have more time on the next visit and get to see the inside of the rock hall.

Oh, and as a kid I used to go to Peelee for a week in the summer, actually stayed with a family that LIVED THERE! What wonderful memories you've brought back for me, thank you

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

if u ever come to the dayton or xenia area and are interested in walking through parks then i do recommend charleston falls http://www.miamicountyparks.com/Char...on%20Falls.htm john bryant park which connects to a couple of other parks called glen helen http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/750/default.aspx and clifton gorge http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/882/default.aspx and near john bryant and glen helen is a old mill called clifton mill that has great food http://www.cliftonmill.com or for food go to young jersey dairy http://www.youngsdairy.com/ we have gone to these places since we moved here. lol, with young jersey and taking merrick there he didnt get near the goats but tried to free the pigs from thier pen. if ur into planes then u should go to wright patterson air force museum http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/ for amusement parks i do recommend going to cedar point like every1 else has said and kings island near cincinatti. for a neat museum i recommend cosi http://www.cosi.org/home/ gone there when i was in daycare for yrs. i soo want to take merrick there sometime soon. thats all i can think of for stuff to do around where i live and kinda not around where i live.