Medical Tourism

Thread: Medical Tourism

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Medical Tourism

Hi Everyone!

Wanted to know if you or anyone you know has travelled outside of the US for medical care. I'm particularly interested in travelling outside of the US for medical procedures concerning kidneys. Right now i'm just gather information in case I need it. Any info anyone can give me would help

Thanks
    Kim

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a highly educated but uninsured friend in his 50's that lives in Chicago. Of course there are world class hospitals right there, but he travels to southeast Asia, usually Thailand, for any serious or expensive medical treatment. That's for dental work, skin cancer removal, and a knee repair.

He says that he gets competent work at a great rate and stays in resort areas to recuperate.

Depending on what you want done, travelling abroad for health care could be cost effective. The downside is you are far from your home and don't have the same rights as you have where you live. The standard of care can be better than many places. If I were looking, I'd probably concentrate on really major cities, and find the best medical facilities in those cities.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

T'rose,

any idea how your friend found out about this hospital? Do you know how he was assigned a doctor and if/how he researched this doctor?
    Thanks for the help.

Kim

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He said he used the internet and message boards to find a good hospital or practioner in the general areas he wanted to travel. He didn't make any appointments until he was actually incountry, though. He's done it several times I gather, and talks it up to anyone who is interested. Unfortunately, he and I are no longer in touch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally I don't think I would travel overseas for health care reasons. I have heard of people having operations that are blotched and when they return to Australia are in a worse boat due to travelling for the operation e.g. private health care won't cover them if they need further treatment so if it was me, I'd stay here and brave the waiting list so I was covered frm start to finish.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you referring to a kidney transplant or some other sort of kidney treatment?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm pretty much looking into possible stint implant or blockage removal. The research at some of the foreign hospitals mainly deal with kidney transplant or dialysis. There's no mention of other types of kidney related procedures. Was just wondering if anyone out there may have travelled to a foreing hospital for blockage removal or had a stint implanted.

I know it's not really funny but everytime I mention that I'm having a problem with my kidney the first thing people say is "OH MAN! YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT DO YOU?!" I find it amusing that people automatically jump to the worst case scenario. But then usually when you hear about a kidney prodecure it's transplant or dialysis so I guess that explains people reactions.
    Last edited by BetterLateThanNever; 12-08-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by BetterLateThanNever View Post
    I know it's not really funny but everytime I mention that I'm having a problem with my kidney the first thing people say is "OH MAN! YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT DO YOU?!" I find it amusing that people automatically jump to the worst case scenario. But then usually when you hear about a kidney prodecure it's transplant or dialysis so I guess that explains people reactions.
    I understand, and I agree that mostly what you hear about is dialysis/transplant. I asked because my (late) husband had kidney failure so I'm familiar with all that stuff, and also because medical tourism for kidney transplants is a controversial topic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sari

Why are travelling overseas for kidney transplant so controversial?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Because it can be argued it takes advantage of poor people in these countries. You know, "hey we'll pay you ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for your kidney, you don't need it!" Kidney transplants do have some risk to the donor, and often there's very little (if any) follow up or aftercare for the donor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thought it might be something like that. Thanks!~