Cruises
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruises

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cruises

We are going on a cruise in May for our Honeymoon. I never been on one before. We are people who like to always be doing something so we were not so sure about the cruising, but it was the cheapest way to get to see all the ports that we wanted to go to. How has your cruising experience been? We are going on Royal Caribbean.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We enjoy crusies and use a 2 fold plan for ports. First we call or go online and find out what excurisions are going to be offered and how much they are. Usually there are at least 2 or 3 that we find worth our wild to take. Usually these are to ruins or sights far away from the docks. Since the travel is included in the excurisions we take the tour offered by the boat. That way we're picked up at the boat and dropped back off at the boat. If we are traveling to a country where we don't speak the langage we take a tour thats offered because the guides speak english. We also go to the libaray and get travelbooks on the places were gonna visit. By doing this we knew what time the guard changed at the governor's palace in Nassua and didn't miss it. We also learned about a fort within walking distance of the dock. When we went to Kingston we knew about a little bar with local musicians and had a great afternoon there.
    If you find a tour you want to take book it as early as you can. Before boarding if possible as many good ones fill up fast.
    If your thinking about doing a ruin tour be sure to wear tennis shoes, take a hat or umbrella and sunscreen and bottled water. We both carry a backpack with several bottles of water, insect spray, a small pop up umbrella,binoculars and disposable camera. Leave your jewlery at home. Don't take anything your not afraid to lose. I always wear a mans white cotton shirt over my tank top its great if the bus is cold and for keeping the bugs off.
    Remember anything can happen so roll with the punches. Look at it as an adventure. One of our tours was interupped by a broken bus axle. In Belize going to Al-Tuhan turned out to be a blessing. We got off the bus while waitng for a replacement bus found a privately owned nursery at a home on the side of the road and Dh had a blast being the guys first customer. Don't be afraid to try something new. I had my first taste of Agave before it becomes Tequila because I was brave enought to try it when they sucked it up in a tube on a tour. We've had lizard in Belize and great fish eleswhere because we weren't afraid.

Where are you off to?

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks fo the tips. I am sure we will ove it, it's just new to us. We are usually roadtrip people. We like to just take off with no destination in mind.

We are flying into Barcelona and then boarding the ship for a 7 day cruise to France and Italy. The one thing I like about this cruise is only 1 day at sea, so we won't have a whole lot of downtime on the boat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been on 4 and LOVE cruising. Which islands are you going to and maybe I can suggest some fun things to do.

Don't worry about being bored, there is so much to do on board that you will never be able to do it all. Another good thing about cruising is you can just relax all day or be busy all day. Which ever suits you best. Oh and remember, if you don't like what you order for dinner you can just ask for something else and there are always seconds and thirds available. A GREAT place to find out everything you ever wanted to know about cruising I'd suggest checking out the message boards on CruiseCritic.com

Congrats on the upcoming wedding and I'm jealous because I want to go on another cruise but I have to pay down some serious debt before I can afford another one.

Happy Cruising!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have a wonderful cruise and a fabulous honeymoon.

The upside:
    I have enjoyed every cruise I've been on (except the motionsickness part). It still wouldn't stop me from taking another cruise. You will feel like you are in a hotel, everything is a brief walk away, the foods are usually great if not awesome. Shore excursions can be on the pricey side but sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry. Travel in small port and island communities can be harrowing.

The downside:
    Travel insurance is a must. You might think it isn't worth the cost, but I've had group leaders get ill and the insurance paid for their full week onboard (ie extended their cruise) and paid for the Dr and meds. Another couple (not in our group),did not have insurance, the woman had lower abdominal pain and spent the week in a hospital in Grenada. Not only did they not have the vacation of a life time they were saving up four years for, it turned out she had an ectopic pregnance and had emergency surgery to save her life... cha-ching.

My favorite cruises are the Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (both incidents occured on this cruise). They are on sailing vessels, not liners, and to my disbelief and dismay, the company is going belly up due to mismanagement of finances.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I loved it, but found that I get seasick whenever I am inside (something to do with not seeing the horizon). A fellow passenger introduced me to patches that you stick behind your ear - they are VERY helpful. I'd suggest asking the doctor for some to take with you in case you need them (and don't use them if you don't need them, because they are still artificial chemicals to your body).

Congrats and have fun!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DS and new DIL just returned from a 15 day med cruise for their honeymoon. They loved it. One word of caution give yourself extra time for having to be back. They missed their connection coming home from Rome to New York and had to spend 8 hours waiting for a new flight that had room. Cut them close on going back to work.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oooooo...I'm very excited for you.

First time cruiser and on Royal Carribean.
    You are going to have a wonderful time.
    You will not be bored.
    And if you're like most you will become
    addicted.

Any questions ask away. We cruise yearly.

Cruiseaholic here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A GREAT place to find out everything you ever wanted to know about cruising I'd suggest checking out the message boards on CruiseCritic.com
    Great advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have cruise advice, but I LOVE Barcelona, it is one of my favorite cities and I hope you have time to spend there before the cruise starts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never been on a cruise before but just wanted to tell you have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by momofslg View Post
    A GREAT place to find out everything you ever wanted to know about cruising I'd suggest checking out the message boards on CruiseCritic.com

Happy Cruising!

Thanks for the heads up on the site. I will go and check it out. I use tripadvisor for everything travel, but I dont think they list cruises. I will have to check them out also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey Stella, congrats on the upcoming wedding. You are soooo gonna love cruisin'. It's a great value for your dollar. We've been on 5 and are about to on another in 2 weeks.
    My tips;
    Get some seasick bands or motion sick bands at Academy (maybe Walmart but I know Academy carries them for sure, they are in the back with the luggage at our's, if not ask for them), they are very helpful if you need them and MUCH cheaper than buying them on the ship (the same goes for anything you might need on the trip, Pepto, aspirin, Bonine (my pers. choice for motion sickness), band aids, take a 1st aid kit with all that stuff, you'll save boucoup if you need any of them). Hopefully you won't need the bands but if you do you're prepared.

Don't buy the cheap gold they sell by the inch, it's crap. Don't buy any t-shirts till the last night, (on the ship, which are not very good quality by the way) they'll have a special that night. Same goes for the junk jewelry they sell, they usually have a special the last night at sea.

If you want to use spa services (facials, massages) book them on port days if there is a port you may not be too interested in seeing everything at. They run specials for those days. But to really save money, do any and all of that sort of thing before you get on the ship...it's overpriced usually.

If you fall in love with cruising (how could you not?!) and you think you might wanna go on another soon, you can book a 'next cruise' onboard and get so many dollars of onboard credit to spend on that next cruise. You don't have to book a specific cruise just put some money down and it's there for you to use forever, you won't lose it as long as you use it a some point in the future.

Don't pay for coffee, you can get it for free. The speciality restaraunts are worth the money but the food in the dining room is very, very good. If you don't want to dress up for dinner, go by and see what's on the menu in the dining room that night. You can order as room service, no extra charge (except a tip for the server who delivers it ).

It's always nice to know that the cabin stewards and wait staff all work for room and board and tips. That's why they strongly suggest the tip amount. These folks work 7 days a week. The minute you get off the ship they are preparing for the next group of eager beavers to board.

Most importantly, have fun! Do what you want to on the cruise. Go to the shows, eat in the dining room though b/c they are really great . Oh and don't feel pressured to buy all the pics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to add that we usually go Royal Caribbean too. It's a great line. Bon Voyage!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just got back from a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas , sorry but we didnt ike it at all , not because of the boat which was wonderful . It probably didnt help that we werent well , i was getting over the flu , dh went down with it on the first day lol .
    Im sure we are in the minority not liking it , its hard to say what we didnt like , but I am sure if it didnt go out to sea it would have been better lol

Found it too confining and definitley noticed the movement of the boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast