Disney World, No Kids

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Disney World, No Kids

I know there's another Disney World thread right below here, but my situation is a tad different, so I didn't want to hijack it.

My wife and I are planning on going to Disney World in mid-December this year. Most of the tips that I find seem to assume that you have relatively young children coming along. We don't have any kids, and this will kind of be the "honeymoon we never had." What all should we do differently? Is it still more beneficial to stay on-site at one of the Disney resorts? Should we just stick with Disney World, or try and spend a day or two doing other things, like in downtown Orlando (or would that just cause more hassle)?

Thanks for any help you can give - she's never been to Disney, and I've only been once as a young kid, so didn't do any planning, just the enjoyment part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Disney is so much fun whether you have kids or not. You would be amazed at the number of people there without children, and even a large number of singles go alone. There are certain activites just for adults like the Segway Tours at EPCOT and Disney does have a restaurant or two that do not allow children under the age of 10.

I would recommend going to www.wdwinfo.com. There are forums there that are full of great advice. They have a section for advice for single adults going, adult couples with no children going, large families, ect.....They have so many great members with the best advice.

We rarely go to downtown Orlando, but do got to Downtown Disney. At night Downtown Disney becomes an over 21 place for adults only - club scene type thing.

I would say that if you are going in December check and make sure you are not going the week that the Pop Warner Football kids are there(this is normally the first week of December). Not many people enjoy going that week, even families with kids of their own say this is the worst time to be there. Most of the kids are running around with supervision and can get a bit wild. Definetely do not stay at a value resort if you are gong this week, that is where all of the PW kids stay a the noise is horrible. Pay the extra and stay at a moderate resort.

Yes, the advatanges to staying on-site are worth it IMHO. We won't go unless we stay on-site - it's just not the same.

Have fun!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi there--we didn't do Disney last summer but my husband and I went to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure (part of U.S., next door park). The week pass is cheaper than a day at the Disney park and the rides are much more adult (faster, scarier, etc). We thought the parks were well themed and very clean. You may want to check out if you want to stop by for a day or two if you have time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH and I went a few years ago and likewise, we don't have children. We stayed off site and drove to the parks which wasn't too bad. Having the extended passes so you can go to anypark anyday is great.

Photos:
    They have photographers take photos of you then you can look at them at the end of your stay to see if you want to buy any of them. Purchase was not mandatory. But it only took a few minutes and the backdrops were things like Cinderella's Castle or the Tree in the Animal park. I wish we had more taken but we thought we were charged for each shot... that isn't the case.

EATING:
    Epcot has a lot of international themed restaurants.... put your reservations in EARLY. If you are staying on site, the hotel may be able to do this for you. I also believe there is a romantic dinner in Cinderella's Castle as well so if you want a honeymoon dinner that might be the place to go.

RIDES:
    Take a look at the website and if there is a map, you can decide what you want to do when. Lots of the big rides have long lines but you can "book" a time and return later for something you like. Lots of the big draw rides had waits of 2+hrs when we were there.

The fireworks displays are beyond wonderful, it was the highlight of our evenings.

COSTS:
    It is pricey. Take water with you if you don't mind carrying it. We refilled our bottles every chance we had. They have McD. in the park but also have fruit stands as well. If you can eat at non-peak times that would be nicer. And if you can take lunch with you that would be easier and more frugal, but you get to carry it in your backpack.

All in all, we had a great time there without kids and I would enjoy going again (with or without kids).

Have a great "honeymoon."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do Disney almost every year without kids and have a ball.

Disney.com has tons of info and their tickets are a bit cheaper if you order them ahead of time.

We've stayed both on site and off and like off site better. It's cheaper and then you can eat dinner wherever you would like. We were just there in January and stayed at the Holiday Inn East Maingate for $65 a night and it was a newly renovated hotel with a McDonald's in the parking lot. Of course we had to rent a car, but we would have done that anyway.

The different country restaurants in Epcot are great. Our favorite is in France. It was outstanding.

Mid-December is a good time to go. Not tons of people and everything is decorated for Christmas. One highlight is the Candlelight Processional in Epcot. Don't miss it. I think it runs every night in December.

Another good website is MouseSavers.com. You can get all kinds of good info from them.

Have a great time!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We stayed at Lake Buena Vista resort village and spa-it was part of a "package deal" at Expedia ended up being 89. a night for a two bedroom condo with it's own kitchen, hot tub, wide sreen tv, washer and dryer-it was great-only two miles from disney and beautiful. Disney without kids is fun, fun, fun-and as relaxing as you'ld like it to be. If you stay off site-you can go out to eat anywhere which saves a bundle.

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...v/htid=1350864

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd also recommend Birnbaum's "Guide to Disney without children." I read it before we went and it really helped this first-timer!

I hope you have a fabulous time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi! We are going at the end of this month, just Dh and I. We do not have kids (yet)_and are going to celebrate me turning 30 and our three year anniversary.

I went a bunch as a child because my grandma lived near Orlando but dh has never been.

It's ESPN weekend while we are there, which we didn't plan for but dh thinks is pretty cool.

We are staying onsite are really looking forward to it.

I hope you have a good time. If you go to disney.com you can get maps of the parks with your names on them and marked with the attractions you are interested in going on and they are free, even the shipping. (at least they did last fall, I haven't checked since I got them)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My BF and I are going over Spring Break for 5 days, staying in the Carribean resort and not leaving Disney World at all while we're there. We chose NOT to pay extra for the tickets that let you go to more than one park in one day because the travel between say Epcot and the Magic Kingdom just takes away too much time that could be enjoyed IN a park. So we're just devoting a full day to any given park and then we'll go out to Pleasure Island and downtown Disney after the park of that day closes.

Disney is incredibly fun as an adult if you have any imaginative spirit. I love it there. Also, from what I've seen of Orlando it's not that worth exploring...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I went, it wasn't so bad - visiting Orlando. I agree, its kind of a boring city that has its old parts however it seemed to be a relatively new city if you know what I mean. It wasnt as developed as I thought. Everything was 1/2 hr away down by DisneyWorld. It was nice to eat at ethnic restaurants that didnt gauge you b/c you're in the touristy area. Gotta love dim sum for $15 - 2 ppl. I think there's also a garden of some sort...I didnt have the guidebook when we decided to go last minute to Orlando to explore but we kind of got bored with the whole Disney thing - I think it was b/c my father couldnt go on the rides b/c of his age. That influenced our trip a lot.

As for Disney as adults, I have it in the budget to go early next year however I think it may get bumped and if it does - its going to go straight to Dec 2009. I'd love to hear about your experiences about it. I loved the tips from the other villagers who've gone as 'adults only'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My husband and I have been to Disney World three times
    without children and had a ball. There is so much to see
    and do. The variety is is awesome.

The one thing we will do differently is stay on the property
    the next time we go. There were a lot of night time events
    we missed by not staying there. We stayed in Kissimee
    and was shuffled to DW and US by the hotels buses.

We also did Universal Studios while we were there all three
    times. Lots of versatility there also. I would suggest so a
    search on Google.com for both places to find the things that
    interest you and your wife.

Between DW and US for 8 days we were exhausted trying
    to see everything. Do your homework and you'll have a
    ball.

Disney World, not just for the young kids,
    but for us big kids too.