Advice wanted on how to prepare for a fun/frugal camping/fishing trip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Advice wanted on how to prepare for a fun/frugal camping/fishing trip

This year hubby and I will be spending our days off fishing and camping in an attempt to be more frugal on our vacation time. We havn't really done this before, but we both loved fishing in our youth and we went camping before. I would appreciate any advice from others who do this on how to prepare to make it enjoyable and keep it frugal. By the way we will be tenting it for now, but we do have our eyes out for a very cheap used camper or tow trailor that we can fix up ourselves. Thanks in advance for your comments/advice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The most expensive part is collecting the gear to start with. I'd suggest watching garage sales/yard sales, the newspaper, thrift stores, etc. My area is a very popular fishing destination and retirement area so it's very easy to pick up nice gear at estate sales and the like.

Not knowing how you're currently equipped, I'm not sure how to advise you any further.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here a list of equipment I have already:
    -tent
    -enamal cookware (can go over fire)
    -hatchets
    -coolers
    thats about it.
    Here's what I'm getting this week:
    -sleeping bags (on sale)
    -fishing rod (from used sporting goods store)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We camp in a 6' pick up camper on the back of a Ranger truck. Will it be primitive camping? or will you have electric?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep everything as simple as possible. I find that the less I have to prep or lug around the happier I am.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make a bathroom bag for each of ya. Keep in ziplock or something stronger. Keep together and use all summer.
    Make a first aid kit. Take it always.
    Mosquito spray!! Sunscreen!!!!
    Cheap flashlights for run to BR @ night.
    Umbrella.. rain gear.
    Duct tape!! don't forget it.
    Matches in ziploc or waterproof container.
    Water--how are you transporting? gotta have water
    Tarp for under your tent
    we take chinese checkers, cards, to play
    plastic tablecloth for picnic table
    blow up bed for sure!! why sleep on the hard ground?
    spray your tent with waterproof!
    depends on how long you're going to be gone..take frozen meat in ziploc, cheese & fruitt makes a great lunch, go to library & read about campfire cooking..
    will you need a clothesline for swimming stuff or throw over your vehicle?
    always make a trail mix--nuts, m&m's, raisins,,whatever you prefer
    Remember, I don't know where you live--but please do not transport WOOD...save our trees. We have the ash borer here. Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am having great luck gathering gear -- Freecycle!

Before you pay out for stuff, even used... see what freecycle can do for you!

Have fun, we're planning our first camping trip too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we did a lot of this I bought a rubbermaid tub to pack my stuff in. This way I could keep my matches, flashlights, etc together and pack them quickly.

I'd definitely suggest watching for items such as lanterns, cook stoves, and other equipment in your paper, yard sales, etc.

My most expensive camping trips are when I don't plan a menu very well and end up buying things we don't normally have just because I'm camping. If I have the money to do this.. it's fun. But, it's certainly not necessary, so I'd suggest menu planning... make a back up plan in case you don't catch any fish, too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default camp cooking

Aside from gathering basic camping gear, I would check the web or library for some good camp cooking ideas. My family of 6 camps at least once every summer and have a blast, but there have been times when I've spent way too much money on food! Lately I've planned better and saved. Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We camp alot, sometimes in a tent and sometimes in our camper. For me a fun camping trip is one where I am comfortable. I don't want to be cold, wet, hungry, etc. Make a master camping list and keep it on your computer. As you think of things you need/want to take, add it to your list. When you come back from your first trip, add all the things you wish you had taken with you to that list.

Think in terms of comfort. You will want a tarp for under the tent and maybe a large one to go over top of it too. If it rains the more protection you have the better. Take sleeping bags, but some extra blankets too. You favorite pillows are a must too!

Matches, ziplocs, trash bags, cooking pans with lids, a large kettle for heating water, some type of tub for washing dishes, newspapers and kindling to start the fire, plates, cups, bowls, eating utensils, coolers, clothesline with pins, a hatchet, bugspray, sunscreen, first aid kit, any medication you take on a regular basis, foil, bathing supplies, towels, sheets, pads or tampons if you might need them.

Will cell phones work where you will be camping? Is there a pay phone? Take change with you! Some campgrounds have showers but you have to put quarters in them to get them to work! Some of our state parks do this and I think it costs 2.00 in quarters for a 6 minute shower.

If you will have electric I like to take my electric griddle and toaster. I cook bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes on the griddle at the picnic table. Make sure to take a good outdoor extension cord with you.

Take some comfort foods with you. Things that you like to eat like candy, chips, etc. And take plenty of food! Better to bring home the extra than not have enough!

Definitely plan a menu before you go! Add every ingredient you will need to make each dish right down to the salt!

And the most important thing to take with you is a sense of humor! Just know that most likely something is going to go wrong, especially the first time or two that you go out. You are going to forget something important or get a sunburn or it will rain the entire time. Laugh it off and give it another try! It gets better the more you go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You will need a good cooler, check the labels for how long they will keep the food cold. It's best to keep all food locked to not attract wildlife. (we were tormented by a huge raccoon last time). Extra dry clothes and shoes packed in large ziplock bags are always useful. I always bring reading material.