Valentine's Day on a Rice-and-Beans Budget
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Valentine's Day on a Rice-and-Beans Budget

Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and you may be on a rice-and-beans budget. So how do you celebrate this day of love without forking over a wad of your hard-earned cash? Check out our memorable, fun and inexpensive ideas.

Take A Hike
    Get those hearts pumping by doing some physical activity. Hit the trails at a nearby park. Bring along water bottles, snacks and a camera to make your hike more enjoyable. Remember to stop and document your Valentine’s hike by taking pictures.

Breakfast In Bed
    Surprise your sweetie with a scrumptious breakfast in bed. Most breakfasts can be made with basic ingredients found in your home. Do a little research the day before to find a recipe that your loved one will enjoy.

Community Concerts
    Instead of paying a steep price for a professional concert, save some cash by going to a locally sponsored show. Many towns have community bands that do concerts throughout the year. Check out local theaters, schools and civic groups for a free concert.

Take A Class
    The library offers various free classes. Check out the schedule, and sign up for one that sounds interesting. Consider one that neither of you would normally attend—you might just find a new hobby!

Write A Love Letter
    Put your love into words. If you find that writing a letter is too daunting, create a list of things you love about your sweetheart. Or, make a timeline of your relationship, noting all the special, significant things that have happened to the two of you.
    Get more creative date ideas.

Perhaps the best Valentine’s gift to give your sweetie is the sense of financial security.

Whether your marriage is flourishing or struggling, FPU can help you make it even better! Learn more now.

http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home/

Last edited by Trishagirl; 02-05-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Light some candles and either listen to music or read poetry together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bake dh a cherry pie, it's his favorite and doesn't cost alot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i told dh-DO NOT go to the drugstore and buy me a $5 card (like he does every year...at the last second of course)... when you are at work..send me a nice heartfelt e-mail (IN YOUR OWN WORDS) and tell me all about the extreme adoration you have for me..haha...( i even suggested i could write it and he could forward it back to me...)lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

you could make a cake in a heart shape

you could have a nice meal

some ideas

Cornish Hens
    Lamb Chops
    Sirloin Steak

Mushroom Rice Pilaf

Cheesecake
    Heart cookies
    chocalate fondue

cranberry sprinze

just some ideas

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my parents intend to buy eachother candy the day after. february 15th is the new offical valentines day in this house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well dh has to work that night and will be sleeping most of the day since he works 7pm-7am friday night too. But I think I will make a nice dinner and I plan on making a heart shaped cookie cake and decorating it w/ homemade frosting. Should be yummy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A bag of little tea candles are usually pretty cheap. We use tin foil to make little "holders" for them (reflects the light good).

We get one lb. of ground beef and use whatever "filler" we have on hand...and have "heart-shaped" meatloaf. Mashed potatoes and gravy are an inexpensive side. And then frozen veggies, too. It's our "traditional" Valentine's day meal and anniversary meal. hehehe

We use coupons to get a little bit of candy for a 'sweet treat'.

Another thing we started doing years ago is... We have a special box of cards (bday, anniversary, V-day). There are about 3 of each kind (his for me and mine for him). Each holiday we pull out the box, chose a card for the given holiday, and write an additional inscription and date it. That way we don't spend a ton of $ on cards, we keep the ones we have gotten over the years, and it's easy to look back over the years of messages. Also, it's not a whole bunch to store (we live in a small space). My aunt got us started on this (she and my uncle have done this for decades) and it works beautifully!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Valentines day is such a special day to let those you love know how much they are loved....and it doesn't have to be a spending gift to touch the heart.

Leave you DH a note on the bathroom mirror in lipstick.

Make his favorite meal.

Make him a coupon for a back rub, or what ever makes him happy.

Write him a love letter telling him what he means to you.

Set up a date at home. Put on some music and surprise him when he comes home from work.

Make an old fashion Valentines card, some old lace, or doilies, some colored paper and you have a pretty old fashion card.

Buy a large candy bar and make a wrapper for it. Add a little saying to it and it makes a cute gift for adults or kids.

Cut out red hearts, tell your loved one on each of these hearts something special about them that you love.

It can be really fun without costing a dime.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We make a special dinner-and we found a way to both feel treated! I make his favorite dish for dinner(my special fettucine), and HE does the dessert(tiramisu yummmmm)- we just make it on valentine's , and it's our special tradition. Plus, it's cheap!! We also give each other a card over dinner, but we have a strict agreement not to blow money on silly stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thesightofoneself View Post
    my parents intend to buy eachother candy the day after. february 15th is the new offical valentines day in this house.
    great idea. I may get Dave some chocolates tomorrow. He told me not to get him anything, and I didn't, but if I see some good chocolate for cheap tomorrow I just might.

I buy the kids these tiny little boxes of chocolates each year. They used to be only 99 cents but went up in price to $1.19. They have cute little pictures on the front, and even though they only have 4 or 5 pieces of chocolate, they LOVE them.

We're not doing that much to celebrate. I made a recipe for "love fluff" (cool whip, cherries, pineapple, etc) and orange cream rolls with pink glaze. I am going to make chocolate chip cookie pops in a heart shape, but I'm not sure if that will be today or tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that's a great idea. i'm thinking that might be our new tradition....sooo much cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2BeFrugal View Post
    A bag of little tea candles are usually pretty cheap. We use tin foil to make little "holders" for them (reflects the light good).

We get one lb. of ground beef and use whatever "filler" we have on hand...and have "heart-shaped" meatloaf. Mashed potatoes and gravy are an inexpensive side. And then frozen veggies, too. It's our "traditional" Valentine's day meal and anniversary meal. hehehe

We use coupons to get a little bit of candy for a 'sweet treat'.

Another thing we started doing years ago is... We have a special box of cards (bday, anniversary, V-day). There are about 3 of each kind (his for me and mine for him). Each holiday we pull out the box, chose a card for the given holiday, and write an additional inscription and date it. That way we don't spend a ton of $ on cards, we keep the ones we have gotten over the years, and it's easy to look back over the years of messages. Also, it's not a whole bunch to store (we live in a small space). My aunt got us started on this (she and my uncle have done this for decades) and it works beautifully!

Happy Valentine's Day!
    my mom did that. she bought a big box of assorted cards at an auction for cheap & they def came in handy! sweet idea about the meatloaf

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's what we plan on doing.

I was at the store earlier this am and I could not BELIEVE the number of people coming out with the bouquets of flowers . . .like they will be just as pretty tomorrow!