Frugal Village Forums banner

valentines day 2011

7K views 46 replies 37 participants last post by  August29th 
#1 ·
what are you going to get your SO?
and what are you receiving?

and for the single people on here, are you buying yourself anything nice?

#2 ·
i bought my gf a bear and a card. its a long distance relationship so i doubt i'll get anything in return but i love sending here stuff.

#3 ·
I have no idea what I'll be receiving...

...but I'll probably get my boyfriend a box of candy. I'm also planning on giving him a framed photo of him, me and my son all together that was taken not long ago. He's not my son's biological father, but he's been in his life since before he was born. They're crazy about each other, lol.

#5 ·
probably nothing but cards this year - my b-day is 6 days before so he sometimes buys me a V-day/ B-day gift combined if there is something i have been wanting but i really cant think of anything .

#6 ·
i love hearing peoples stories. keep them coming

#7 ·
We dont do anything. Never have. Its Christmas then his bday is in January and mine is in March so we just kind of ignore Valentines Day. I do buy the kids a little trinket though. We celebrate the anniversary of our first date though in August with a nice dinner.

#12 ·
I really don't like valentines day, my grandfather passed away on that day when I was in highschool.
My mom passed away on Valentines day too so I totally understand how you feel.

Not sure whats going to happen on V day this year with me. I've been seeing a guy I work with on and off for almost a year and its mostly been off, just recently started to be on again. So I'm guessing nothing but will be pleasantly surprised if I get anything. Likewise, I haven't decided if I'm going to get him anything or not, if I do, it will just be a card.

#14 ·
I love to give presents even if I don’t receive anything. It can be bought or done by myself or combined. Even if we agree not to get each other anything, I know he’ll buy me something (at least a card). So I do the same)):flowers:
Usually I like to buy unique presents. This year I’ve bought one of the best valentines day gifts for him online. He likes travelling so I’ve found a nice Message in a Bottle. It looks amazingly!

#15 ·
We don't buy each other gifts but we do have a quirky tradition I love: we go out for ice cream at the one DQ that's open year round, and we eat our soft-serve in the car like it's mid-july even though it's freezing outside! I love love love our V-day tradition!

#16 ·
Since it falls on a Monday this year, he will be working. I will make him a card and give it to him that day. Diva gets a small box of chocolates.

The Saturday before, OldMan and I will go to Sonics (finally got one near us!) and get shakes, sit in the car, listen to the radio and act like teenagers :hubba:

#17 ·
I usually make him a card, he usually buys me one and we have a nice dinner together at home and make googly eyes at each other from across the table. If anything changed this usual scenario I'd be shocked, lol. Go ahead, shock me with some flowers or a plant & see if I can take it. :D

#18 ·
That's the spirit V!

I'm not sure yet exactly what will go down here. Some years we celebrate it and some years we just say Happy Valentine's Day and go on with our day as our anniversary is just a couple of weeks away.

School is closed here this year. Not sure why. So I am thinking of maybe just doing a special breakfast with the kids (shape the pancakes like hearts or dye the oatmeal red or carve we love you in the butter ect.). We'll do the whole set the table and take our time thing.

I may write the kids and hubby personal letters letting them know how special they are to me as well and mail them or put them by thier plates at dinner. After dinner hubby and I will probably retreat to our room.

#19 ·
I have personal issues with the holiday but I give my daughters a little something each year and I enjoy that our town, Loveland, decorates. They have these wooden hearts that people can pay to have personalized and then they are posted all over the city. Its fun to read them.

#20 ·
I usually make a "red" breakfast. Last year it was cinnamon rolls. This year, I think I'll make red pancakes and then use my metal cookie cutters to make them heart shape.

I also got them all (kids and DH) a small heart shape box of chocolates. It's like 99cents a box.

#21 ·
We don't do anything. My birthday is the 1st and DH's is the 2nd so too close to valentine's day. :)

#22 ·
I don't know what DH will be giving me, but for him I will be giving a pair of boxer shorts that I made from valentine's material....and I'll buy a few bags of m&m's....pick out all of the green ones for DH (private joke).lol
Last year, I took fabric paint & painted hearts on his underwear & put handprints on the seat of another pair for a joke.

#25 ·
I am in a new relationship, so I'm not sure what to expect. I was trying to think of something small and meaningful to give to my bf...in the past I usually have received and given smallish-types gifts. Maybe a card and candy, something along those lines. I like the boxer shorts idea, but I would probably buy ones with some hearts or something like that on it.

#27 ·
Valentine's Day is a 2-in-1 for us...It's also our Anniversary. :heartsm:
I'm clueless what to get him this year...
We usually go out and eat every year on our anniversary, but that's getting old. And the wait time is outrageous. I may get something special at the grocery store to cook...Maybe let DD stay at a friend's house so he and I can have a special night just for us....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.