what are your traditions for Valentines day?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default what are your traditions for Valentines day?

well since it is Valentine's day I bake him his favorite cookies (oatmeal, cranberry, and white chocolate chip) and give him a naughty burlesque style lap dance...lol

when the kids were little I baked them cookies also....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Very funny OM!

Well.. when I have someone special in my life, I would like to do a dinner together. out.
    I don't like to exchange gifts because it seems rather silly. Recovering from christmas and all. A card exchange, maybe some chocolates. but that's it.

No dancing from me. lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nothing here..just another day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's usually a home-made greetings' card - as twee or as lovey-dovey as I can make it. Or else a very funny, almost tasteless one. Depends on my mood.

I see Valentine's Day is a Thursday, this year. We could be at work.

Most years, we're away on our winter break for the week of Valentine's Day, but not this year (shortage of cash).
    Hm - that's made me feel a bit sorry for ourselves. So I am thinking I/we'd better make the effort to do something just a little bit special, this year, to make up for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have two traditions:

We have a 5 course fancy pants meal which I pick up at a local caterer. It's win win, dont't need to cook, don't need to fight the crowds at the restaurant and it's less expensive than going out. We usually do this on the Friday evening the week of.

On the day of, we go to the one Dairy Queen that is open year round and have a blizzard, in the car, with the heat blastung because it is so cold out.

No gifts/cards; just fun times together!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No traditions. But a good time to use a gc for a nice steak house that is burning a hole in my wallet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nothin.....i personally think if you need one day to say and show you love someone...sheesehhhh.jmho....i was a server for manymany many yrs...i hated working valentines and sweetest day...it was always mostly people who dont go out often and dont know proper etiquette and do not tip....never a fave day of mine even now that in have not served in many many yrs...

dh does get a special something for dd...last year it was a heart necklacefrom tiffanys that we had engraved and she loves it!!!!this year it will maybe another charm for her pandora bracelet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We go out for fondue, either the week before or the week after.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After years of infertility treatments and 4 failed IVF cycles I was at my wits end. With 5 frozen embryos I told my doc that it was over I wanted to do a frozen cycle and throw them all in and then I'm DONE! He tried to talk to me and decided it was best to do what I wanted and we'd "discuss" it after. So it fell on Valentine's Day 2001 that I'd have my embryos tx. On the way to the hospital DH gave me a beautiful ruby necklace. Only 4 survived the thaw so we had them tx. I started bleeding so heavily a week before my HCG that I couldn't even sit on the furniture in our house it was bad. I lined my mattress with garbage bags. The doc told me it was too soon to tell, but that worst case I was miscarrying (again); best case I was preg with multiples and only losing part. We went in for the 6 wk. ultrasound and there was one VERY strong heartbeat. I bled heavily for the 1st 8 weeks - they believe I miscarried the rest of a multiple pregnancy due to such heavy bleeding and high HCG. We had a son 10/29/01. We tried for a few more years for a sibling, but everything failed. So to make a long story short Valentine's Day is VERY special at our house. We buy DS a gift and tell him "Happy Birthday/Transfer Day" we either do take out or make a special meal and celebrate with a cake. The following weekend we go to the restaurant of his choice to celebrate as we don't like the Valentine's crowd. I always buy our parents a gift because without their support we wouldn't be parents.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't make a big deal of it. Some years we've gone out, some years I've cooked something special. I'll get DH a piece of sugar free valentines candy, he'll leave me a card he made on his computer.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by judembc View Post
    After years of infertility treatments and 4 failed IVF cycles I was at my wits end. With 5 frozen embryos I told my doc that it was over I wanted to do a frozen cycle and throw them all in and then I'm DONE! He tried to talk to me and decided it was best to do what I wanted and we'd "discuss" it after. So it fell on Valentine's Day 2001 that I'd have my embryos tx. On the way to the hospital DH gave me a beautiful ruby necklace. Only 4 survived the thaw so we had them tx. I started bleeding so heavily a week before my HCG that I couldn't even sit on the furniture in our house it was bad. I lined my mattress with garbage bags. The doc told me it was too soon to tell, but that worst case I was miscarrying (again); best case I was preg with multiples and only losing part. We went in for the 6 wk. ultrasound and there was one VERY strong heartbeat. I bled heavily for the 1st 8 weeks - they believe I miscarried the rest of a multiple pregnancy due to such heavy bleeding and high HCG. We had a son 10/29/01. We tried for a few more years for a sibling, but everything failed. So to make a long story short Valentine's Day is VERY special at our house. We buy DS a gift and tell him "Happy Birthday/Transfer Day" we either do take out or make a special meal and celebrate with a cake. The following weekend we go to the restaurant of his choice to celebrate as we don't like the Valentine's crowd. I always buy our parents a gift because without their support we wouldn't be parents.

Bless your heart..That is truly a love story..hugs.... and God Bless u all

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

for some reason when we got married dh thought I collected gorillas so on valentines day he gets me a stuffed gorilla. Each year they got bigger and I finally told him he had to quit we were running out of room. They've gotten smaller but he won't stop getting me one. I fix him a special dinner of hot wings. We have done this every year. I love traditions!
    Terry

Jan grocery /275.00

YTD grocery

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Well.. when I have someone special in my life, I would like to do a dinner together. out.
    Um hello? Your DD and granddaughter? I know its not 'special' you referred to but they're special too!

We don't have a set ritual but we both feel that we don't need an over-marketed money making holiday to tell each other that we care & love each other. But its still fun to do something small. He might give me a lil treat or I'll bake him something to take to work to share with his team with a Valentine's theme. Otherwise its just another day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll get a little something for my dd... otherwise just another day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wunsagin View Post
    for some reason when we got married dh thought I collected gorillas so on valentines day he gets me a stuffed gorilla. Each year they got bigger and I finally told him he had to quit we were running out of room. They've gotten smaller but he won't stop getting me one. I fix him a special dinner of hot wings. We have done this every year. I love traditions!
    My wife came home one Valentine's Day weekend with a stuffed gorilla she won in a crane game. It's hands were sewn together, so I stuck it on the handle to our coat closet. It's been there since then, 6 years now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast