Frugal Valentine's Day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Frugal Valentine's Day

So, what are all of you doing for Valentine's Day?

We hand-made our cards. I'm trying to instill in the children that they can show love without spending a lot of money, and what they created was so much better than a card from the store. We also made heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast, and we're making linzer heart cookies as a treat. DH bought me a long-stemmed red rose, and I bought him a bar of his favorite dark chocolate. We surprised the kids with a new game to play together, which they have been playing all morning.

It has been a lovely day so far, and inexpensive as holidays go. I'm so glad that we resisted the urge to spend extravagantly. How about you?

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't really "do" Valentine's Day, other than a nice family dinner at home.

Dinner will be t-bone steaks for DH and I, chicken nuggets for DD. Otherwise, everything else is from regular pantry ingredients: ranch potatoes, corn, tossed salad, chocolate chip cookies, and maybe a chocolate cake if I can get it made in time. (Recipes are in my cooking blog if anyone wants them-- under Menu Plan Monday.)

DD (age 3) and I will decorate with some paper hearts that she's colored.

That's about it-- no cards or gifts here. Just a nice family night together, which is pretty rare-- it will be the first night we've all been home for dinner in about two weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't really do Valentine's Day either. We gave the kids $20 cash each, a novelty sports pillow each, some bath fizzies for DD, baseballs for DS and some candy. We don't do anything expensive, just a little something extra since kids really get a kick out of "holidays" like this. My parents and grandparents sent the kids some money and cards. DH and I do not do anything for each other either. It is just another day to us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I just found out last night that DH is going to be home tonight. DD#2 is going out with her boyfriend. I don't know what DD#1 and her DH are up to.

I'm thinking I'll make homemade chicken alfredo, with apple crisp for dessert. We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day, but I might go buy DH a card...or slip into my studio and see if I can clear a space to make one. I'm thinking I might turn up some famous love quotes...

I let him buy his favourite chocolate the other day. We found it on sale. So that really wouldn't be cool to do again. Besides, I don't have the car to go get it.

I made some cupcakes with pink icing today. They disappeared fast. I saved two for DH for when he gets home from work.

We'll probably spend time playing board games tonight.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am making my fiance one of his favorite casseroles tonight, I bought a bottle of sparkling juice (cheaper than wine) to go with it, and I bought him a small box of his favorite chocolates for dessert. I wanted to wait to give him the candy tonight when he can share with me I left him a reeses peanut butter cup (heart shaped) for a treat this morning before he left for graduate classes. We hardly ever go out on valentine's day because of the long wait to eat at a restaurant. This year we are having a blizzard, so I would rather stay inside where it's warm and safe. I can't wait until he gets home!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We don't really do Valentine's Day. I bought a box of Russell Stover caramel assortment (they're the only kind we like) for us to share tonight, and I helped Julia make a valentine for dh. The kids are disappointed because they missed their parties at school today due to weather, but I think they'll probably reschedule for tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing big here either. I have class tonight (a test so I can't ditch). I got the boys a very small box of chocolate and hubby a small box of Hershey Kisses & and a card. That's about it for us. The weather turned cold so I made a pot of chili for dinner, not very romantic unless you count the red tomatoes in it. My boys' school doesn't have Valentines parties. One of the classes has a card exchange, but that's it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Valentine's day is way more important to DH than me...if it was up to me we probably wouldn't do anything! In lieu of exchanging gifts I'm making DH one of his favorite meals (meatloaf) and made fudge brownies for dessert. I told him instead of a store bought gift all I wanted was a back rub!

Wow, I'm surprised at all of the kids getting gifts for V-day...I never thought about that! When I was a kid all we did was exchange valentines with our classmates, but nothing from mom or dad. Lucky kids!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same here....... we don't really do anything big.

I shopped at Dollarama..... hubby a card and 2 Snickers chocolate bars, Alyssa a chocolate heart and other little chocolates and Luke a chocolate heart and bag of cinnamon hearts. $7 total

DH usually gets me a single red rose and a nice card and he bought Valentine cupcakes for the kids. I could have made them cheaper, but hey.......... he spent his own "blow" money so that's his business

DD went to Dollarama too (I'm teaching her well, LOL) as she just gave us each a roll of Mentos.

That works! DH is on afternoon shift so nothing fancy for dinner tonight

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH works tonight so no fancy dinner or anything It'll just be the kids and I. Dh got me a beautiful spider plant (with his allowance) and I'm getting him a golfing certificate from a local discounter (also with my allowance...I've been saving). It's $30 but includes eighteen holes, a bucket a balls, a cart, and lunch. Since he's been working so hard I thought it was okay to splurge a little. He really deserves it We got dd a movie she's been wanting for a long time. Ds just got to stay home and have fun with his sick mommy, lol. Normally we just make cards and we don't do gifts. I guess normally we're more frugal. I don't really consider this being unfrugal considering all of it came from our "blow" money and not our budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The homemade Valentine's cards sounds like a good idea - I bought DD's cards and sweethearts for her school party this year but next year we might make out own.

The only thing we're really doing for V-day is going out to eat. We usually get the kids something but since money's tight right now we skipped that this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, no roses here because they are overpriced and die.
    No cards either because really, we don't care much about V-Day.
    Didn't get our 1/2 off couples massage today because they called 20 minutes before our appointment, after we had trekked downtown and said they were closing after all due to weather getting worse again.
    Boyfriend's making dinner tonight and we're drinking champagne I got at a discount from my friend's winery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got DH $10.00 worth of shrimp from Shoprite (his favorite) that I'll cook for him when he gets home.

DD18 and DD15 got $10 Wawa gc's and DD5 got dollar store dvd's that DH picked up for her.

We got an ice storm today, I got sent home early so nothing else going on here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are some great ideas here, simple and straight to the point. If I was able bodied, Id have invited bf over for dinner and cook it for him too!

But we've been together since Friday evening and he just left my place late last night. To me thats the best gift a girl can get - QT with her man. He works shifts and all 3 of them too so its hard for us to co-ordinate QT together. Even weekends arent gauranteed. Usually we see each other for a day and half at most. So this was like a dream vacation for us!

Plus hes been here nursing me and not letting me get outta bed and making sure I have everything I need and want. Too bad Im not one of those that 'want a freshly baked cake' LOL He knows Im not that mean.

I'll prob just make him some baked goods this weekend when Im better balanced on my feet. Wont see him until Sunday evening anyhow. Now what to make?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a big day to me.
    My Fiance and DS are the most important people in my life. I splurge on them
    Got Fiance a box of candy and a big jar of roasted peanuts and a card
    Got DS a big box of candy and a package of beef jerky and a card
    Got DS's girlfriend a big box of candy
    Now I'm fixing them a traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast