Frugal Romantic Valentine's Meal??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile Frugal Romantic Valentine's Meal??

I always have prepared a really nice dinner for hubby on Valentine's Day. It's my love-gift to him. We eat at home, and I usually went all out: perhaps a shrimp cocktail, a steak, au gratin potatoes, steamed fresh green beans, a nice green salad with various kinds of greens, sliced fresh fruit with cheese assortment, a decadent dessert......... You get the idea.

Here's the problem this year. I am on a super tight food budget (trying to save for plane tickets for us), and a meal like the above just isn't happening this year. But I still want to give him a memorable romantic meal; it's my tradition.

So......... do you have any ideas for a fantastic home made meal for two people that would look and taste absolutely glamorous, and cost under $10? Do you cook a love-meal for your spouse? Your ideas will help!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been thinking the same thing. Lucky for me (I guess) my husband wouldn't know 'romantic' or 'glamorous' if he tripped over it .

He loves homemade pasta. It's dirt cheap, but labor intensive. So maybe some homemade spaghetti with meat sauce, and a warm loaf of Italian bread. Maybe for dessert I'll make a big brownie sundae or a banana split, with whipped cream and a cherry on top... one big dessert with 2 spoons.

Can you check the sale ads and see if their is a good cut of meat on sale this week? That might give you a few ideas .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If money's that tight I would just cook him whatever his favorite "regular" meal is and just eat by candlight. Use your nice dishes, gussy yourself up for him. Maybe have a box of chocolates by his plate for dessert.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't have a meal idea. I am working and will be bring home a heart-shaped pizza. But I heard this on the radio. Do a naked-noodle night. LOL. I could n't eat naked but maybe give it a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I stumbled upon a super cheap valentine meal by accident, but it's been great for us!

The first year we dated, we were dirt poor. We couldn't afford to go out, so I made spagetti, garlic bread and heart sugar cookies, with red frosting. Basically, I chose the spagetti because it was red & cheap!

Anyway, we have had this meal every valentine's day since, in the last 10 years! So, you could always start a new tradition and just make all the food red (there are actually a lot of red foods when you start thinking about it)!

Last year, I made reservations, got a sitter and we had intended to go out and DH was hurt. So we ended up cancelling our reservations, going to the grocery store, getting pasta & sauce and going home and making our traditional dinner, I thought that was cute!

Also, according to him, the best gift I ever gave him was the year I covered the front door in "love" notes. I cut about 100 hearts out of pink, red & purple construction paper. On each heart, I took a marker and wrote something, I loved about him (when I ran out of things, I cut out pictures of significant events and put them in the hearts). He said it was the best gift anyone had ever given him. And I was proud...cuz it didn't cost me anything but time (ok, well and construction paper)!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

Believe me, naked noodle night wouldn't be comfortable for me! And I don't like my noodles naked, either............ But I do like the pasta idea. Hubby likes ham; maybe I can do something with pasta and ham. And I already do the candlelight, best dishes, etc. I thought I would try to make some hand dipped chocolates. I already have some marachino (sp?) cherries left from Christmas. You are getting my brain rolling......THANKS! Now I wonder if I can keep the cost under $5????
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My only other suggestion would be to check out the day old meat bin at the supermarket. You know how they will mark down meats? Perhaps you could get a nice cut of meat for a great price and dress it up for him ... ?

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about a cornish game hen and some wild rice? You could add a veggie and maybe some chocolate pudding......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just give him good sex. He won't even care what he ate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
    I love it, nuthin' like brutal honesty!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try something like a pasta carbonara with the ham. Cut up some fruit, apples, bananas, heat up some chocolate and "serve" each other desert.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One year I made a heart shaped pizza followed by a heart shaped chocolate chip cookie.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember a few months ago, one of the men who posts on FV and seemed like a good cook posted his recipe for Linguine and clam sauce. It wasn't too expensive and sounded good. You might want to try a search for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
    LOL! That is soo true!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've done a special dinner for Valentine's Day every year for my family. This year we, too, are cutting back.

My plan is to simply take a look at my pantry and make a menu that utilizes what I have on hand.

So far, I'm starting with a Wheat Berry Salad. I've not decided on meat... I have pork loin, chicken and salmon in the freezer.

I have a lot of chocolate on hand, leftover from Christmas baking, so I'll make a chocolate dessert.

Today, I'm baking sugar cookies for valentines for friends and family members.

If you have much in your pantry, I'd start by looking there and build on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast