Wedding in our Future!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wedding in our Future!!

Hi all hope this will be the place to post this to get the most ideas and responses! My son has gotten himself engaged and the wedding is in a year or so, don't have a date yet. We do know that the kids are very smart and very frugal themselves, so we would like to do a wedding for around 4000.00 tops. We are realizing that most everything will have to be done by us or friends to accomadate about 150 people. They want simple, but nice..So i ask of all of you, any any any ideas on food, favors,deocorations will be very appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations to your son and his new bride-to-be! My dd is also getting married this October. We've been planning since then and are still working on it, but we're getting there! My biggest tip wil be to shop, shop, shop around. And then shop around some more. My second will be for you to prepare for some sticker shock - weddings are expensive The prices people charge when they hear wedding is absolutely ridiculous!

For instance, dd set up two separate cake tastings at two reputable bakery's in the large city she will be getting married in. I told her to check a third one in the smaller town about 35 miles away. The two in the large city are both $950-1000 each for a 100 person cake with two sheet cakes to feed another hundred. The third bakery in the smaller town is charging us $413 for a 200 person cake. Needless to say she got our business!

You will find this with just about everything you will need: DJ's, photographer, flowers, it's just crazy.

So prepare to shop and shop some more. And have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got engaged myself and we are planning a wedding for what I hoped would be under $5,000 (no real budget set yet). The best options we've found so far are places that naturally include the most. By that I mean that for our reception we've looked at a neat local restaurant that already has the location, all the food service, bartender, pastry chef, and the space is so cool we'll hardly have to decorate. They don't charge a rental fee or any such thing, we really just pay for the food & drinks because they treat it like we're having a party of 80 come in for dinner.

Of course we are also pretty much skipping a ceremony location and only having a wedding for 80 tops, yet even a $5K wedding seems tight. And we haven't even looked at photographers yet!

We're lucky in the sense that there are many things we don't care to include (flowers, videographer, a wedding party), but for those who want it all, serious considerations have to be made about what's going to fit.

I'm finding that it seems easier to cut where guests won't be affected, like the dress or decoration. Find bargain ways to get a dress or decorate with your own stuff rather than paying expensive amounts for someone else to provide the decorations and the guests won't know, but cutting on food may become apparent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

P.S. Congrats!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

a couple of things is you could make your own food or buy from a wholesale club. Keep decorations simple maybe a nice candle. Flowers try the floral department at your favorite grocery store. Could they get married at somebody's home? Also if you were to make your own food there is a website that has recipes and ideas on how to feed over 100 people (i can't remember the website so google it) I hope this helps Keep us posted I love weddings!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wedding in our Future

Thanks all for all the tips! It is kinda overwhelming..it really makes me think that I sould start a business for budget minded weddings!! Of course some peopl;es ideas of budget and mine don't aways match!! Keep those tips coming...I have started a notebook, since it is so hardto keep up with what we have found been told etc...Thanks again i"ll keep you posted..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First off congrats! I got married and had my reception all for under $3000 so I know it can be done.

I made my own decorations, centerpieces and candy spoons for all reception guests. I also got the DJ for $250 for the entire night, the bar and food at the reception for $850 for 100 people (we had our reception at a fire hall). My costs even included the church, invitations, stamps, etc... I actually had comments that our reception was one of the best any of them had attended.

Things dont have to cost a fortune for it to be a special day. My wedding dress I purchased for $60 from a seamstress

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations! I'm getting married this October but it's going to be a JOP wedding for me. At first I wanted to do a wedding and found several ideas to keep it low cost. One idea was to have the wedding on a none prime day such as during the week instead of a weekend. Don't have a formal dinner but rather a buffet line. Don't have an open bar but rather if you want to serve alcohol keep a cooler of beer or something.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know... Congratulations again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalMomof3 View Post
    ... I actually had comments that our reception was one of the best any of them had attended.
    Ya know, I've heard this more from those who have thrown "frugal" weddings than standard weddings and I venture to say that by putting so much thought into our budgets and DIY we've naturally put a lot of thought into the details of our wedding!

My fiance and I just got back from the big hotels in our town and looking at their wedding packages and they're SO pre-packaged and laid out so that for the $7,000 estimated cost for our wedding of 80 people (yeah right!), my wedding would look like everyone else's. I firmly believe our reception there wouldn't get nearly the compliments that it would at the mountain lodge where we'd have to do most things ourselves and for much less money. And would our families and friends be any less happy there? NO.

So...yay for you! And all of us who are that much more involved in our weddings!