Bring unwrapped gift to bridal shower???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bring unwrapped gift to bridal shower???

Got invite to a very good friends bridal shower in few weeks. She is Italian and has HUGE family and friend circle. I know her guest list so far to wedding is at 350+. But on the invite it says bring unwrapped gift to bridal shower for time constraints. I NEVER ever brought an unwrapped gift anywhere.

Would it be wrong if I wrapped it? I dont even know what "it" is but I really want her to have a few gifts to open. Or should I follow the rules and bring unwrapped.

Oh and 3 of my other friends have called to ask me same thing. So its not just me who thinks this is odd.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Weird.... But yea, I'd leave it unwrapped like the invite says......weird though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find it kind of weird, but extremely rude. If there are that bad of time restraints than maybe they should have invited fewer guests.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd just drop the gift in a pretty bag; then all the bride-to-be has to do is lift it out. HTH!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i think that 350 people for a bridal shower is (unusual) (inappropriate) (too big) (rude) (gift grab) pick one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its 350 people for wedding, i am not sure how many for the bridal shower. im guessing at least half of that!? I had 25 people at my shower and 50 people at wedding so who knows?!?!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is kind of odd! If you really feel the need, and since you said you'd more than likely be getting more than one gift...then give her 1 unwrapped gift at the shower and save the rest for another time.

Maybe you and some of the friends who have called, can set up a luncheon with the bride and do some gifts then! Any bride will love to celebrate more than once!

I've been to showers with time constraints before, and one shower did gifts after the shower. Those of us close friends & family, all stayed to help the hostess clean up and then we watched her unwrap gifts. I think that was a classier way of handling it...and no one complained about not seeing her open the gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What happened to manners? Gift giving, weddings and other celebrations have gotten out of control and I think it's just getting tackier & tackier.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're not obligated to bring a gift at all. I think I would feel uncomfortable bringing an unwrapped gift. I'd at least have to put a pretty bow on it. And as for 'time constraints', is this a party with friends, or a gift grab?

On second thought, I'd be tempted to take a great big package of KY. See how they feel about that being unwrapped for all to see. https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...lies/hubba.gif
    Last edited by Contrary Housewife; 10-10-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: additions

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was also going to suggest a gift bag.

It kind of sounds like a "drop of the loot" party

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think perhaps they wanted everyone to have the chance to enjoy each other's company instead of spending an hour or more watching the bride-to-be open packages. I would probably put the gift in a basket with a bow or just wrap a bow around the unwrapped gift. If you take it wrapped then she may feel the need to take the time to open it in your presence and that may take away from other festivities planned for the party. I have never heard of this approach but I have been to showers where gifts were not opened in the presence of the guests and it was nice, I HATE oohing and ahhing over bath towels and measuring cups and would much rather have some finger foods and punch while visiting with mutual friends. And, yes, some people have large guest list because they want the gifts but others genuinely don't want to leave anyone out or hurt anyone's feelings so I generally try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    You're not obligated to bring a gift at all. I think I would feel uncomfortable bringing an unwrapped gift. I'd at least have to put a pretty bow on it. And as for 'time constraints', is this a party with friends, or a gift grab?

On second thought, I'd be tempted to take a great big package of KY. See how they feel about that being unwrapped for all to see. [media]https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/images/smilies/hubba.gif[/media]
    I agree that you are not obligated to bring a gift. I love the KY suggestion!!!

I think that this request is rude.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is a tad rude. How about thinking first and say you're trying to be green or some other reason not to wrap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I saw the heading I though what a great green ideal. All of the wrapping is such a waste. I like bags that can be reused. When I saw the reason was time I think that is rude and sounds like a shower that is looking for the gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I say put it in a bag...or a basket...so its kinda open but not really. I cant imagine just handing someone an unopened gift!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast