Hello again & wedding ideas!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hello again & wedding ideas!!

Hello all!
    Hope everybody had a great Christmas. I got so busy, I haven't been around in a while, so, Hey there!!

Now to the point! lol We are getting married in May 2010 in our backyard and need some frugal, crafty, unusual ideas for the wedding and reception. This will be a totally 'nontraditional' wedding- we're dressing in costume and asking our guest to do the same. I think it will be so much fun and very memorable. We're hoping to spend $3,000 or less on everything. The biggest sticking point is the food. Right now, our guest list is at a little more than 100 people. We've considered grilling hamburgers and hotdogs and asking everyone to bring a dish. The problem with that is we will have a lot of people from out of town or out of state and it would be difficult for them to transport food. We've also considered buying whole deli-style ham, turkey, roast beef, etc., slicing it and providing stuff for sub-sandwiches. And heavy hors d' oeuvres have been discussed.

So, frugal people, any thoughts, ideas? And anybody with decorating tips, etc.. please gimme a clue! Aaaaaa!

*ehem*

thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What kind of costume are you dressing in?

My BIL got married in August. They cooked a lot of the food before hand. They also had the HS wrestling team help serve the food (brother of the bride was a coach) for a donation to the school. I think the mother of the bride is a red hatter and some of the other red hatters helped to cook the food that day. (don't know if a donation was also given). Maybe if you know a group (boy scouts, etc) who wouldn't mind helping out for a free meal and a small donation, that might be a way to get your food done. Then you could make the food in advance and just have to reheat it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Where we live, lots of our friends have the large roaster's (large , stand alone cookers). So for my son's wedding we did sliced ham, and sliced turkey in the roasters, potato casserole (with sour cream, cream cheese, cheddar cheese - can be made ahead) in the crockpot, green beans in the crockpot, rolls, and I made 26 cheesecakes as they wanted that instead of the traditional cake -- we set out bowls of cherry, strawberry and blueberry pie fillings for toppings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As far as decorations go, for table center pieces, you could have potted plants and maybe wrap the plastic pots (the cheap ones that plants come in) in tulle or cheap but nice fabric that matches your color or theme. Then when the wedding is over, you have plants to plant in your own yard (you can have your own wedding garden that you can watch grow over the years) or give them away to special people at the wedding!

Instead of traditional BBQ food, you could do BBQ pulled pork or chicken or both. It's super easy to prepare ahead of time and I'm sure you could rent or borrow large roasters to heat them up on the day of the wedding!

Good luck and congrats!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

alot of bbq places will cook and drop off food in chafing dishes for a fraction of the cost of on site stuff.
    i like the potted plant centerpieces and you can buy paper lanterns and string them up if its outdoors in may you dont really need lights in them.

Registered User writtenonmybody's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What we did for our wedding....

Had it at night. Wedding was at 8 pm.

Made Jar candles and put them in the trees, Perfect and beautiful decor. Everyone loved it.

Lined a tent and other areas of the outdoors in white xmas tree lights.

Since we had a night wedding we didn't have to provide a full meal. We did provide fruit, crackers/cheese, wedding cake, veggies with dip and other random snacks.

The tables did have a few candles on them.

We got help from everyone. A friend took photographs, a friend became ordained to marry us, a friend had DJ equip. and did the music for us, my mother and aunt took a cake making class and made the wedding cake (which is really hard work and I would suggest ordering a cake or doing cheesecake or cupcakes). A friend help us set up a tent, and we borrowed a couple party tents from others. A friend of the family helped me do my hair and make up. A family member who makes invites and cards made all our invites and thank you's. They were beautiful and the cost was cheap. She also gave them as a gift to us for our wedding.

We did provide food to those who helped out in the wedding, were in the wedding, and special guests. We had the rehearsal in the afternoon before getting ready after we had something to eat. Everyone brought something for that. Potluck rehearsal dinner before the wedding. It was very nice.

If I think of anything else we did to cut costs I'll let you know. We pretty much did the whole thing with the help of others.

Honestly, I don't regret a thing about our wedding. It was exactly what we wanted and because we cut costs so low we were able to have everyone we wanted there. We had over 240 people at our wedding and yard reception. Wedding under tree lit candles and a full harvest moon. Everyone loved it. It was beautiful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Whenever we're going to have a big crowd we watch for the Easter sales and buy briskets on sale. We marinate them in Claude's Brisket sauce and cook them overnight either in a Nesco cooker or in the oven at 250 f. The next day you just cut the fat off, slice and throw it into ziplocks with a little of the juices to keep it moist. Throw that into the freezer (up to a couple of months ahead---making sure to squeeze all of the air out that you can). Then we make a huge batch or 2 of pinto beans, these can be made ahead and frozen as well. You could just buy the potato salad from a deli or Sam's club or something.......Order or make a wedding cake or just make brownies or something. Have your guests bring their own drinks, use the jar candles and Xmas lights to decorate with (now is a great time to buy lites!).....there ya go, cheap, easy and mmmm mmm good! (I wouldn't do favors or anything myself) Oh, buy some disposable cameras to sit out on the tables with a note attached to please take some pics during the event and then to drop in the basket by the door, thank you. I might ask one friend to take some digi pics too. Have fun planning, but mostly just have fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 2 cents... for what it's worth...

Since you have plenty of time, you can find lots of stuff throughout the year for your reception decorations. Look online for all kinds of ideas. My DH & I got married on New Years Eve at the courthouse with just an attendant for each of us. Our reception is this weekend. We are calling it a 'friends & family get-together' rather than a reception. We have both been married before so we didn't really want or need gifts. We are making the buffet food ourselves. We were originally going to only furnish the meat (ham & roast beef) and soft drinks and have everyone bring a dish. But as we got knee deep in the planning, we decided to just go ahead & fix the whole meal ourselves. We are expecting 50-60 people. We are not fixing anything out of the ordinary. No fancy dishes. I found several websites that you can go to, to get recipes for cooking for a crowd.

As far as reception decorations, we are using a blue & white snowflake theme. I was able to get Christmas lights to hang from the ceiling on the 1/2 price after-Christmas sales. And some other decorations that are not strickly 'Christmas' colors, but still with a winter theme. I got some pine cones and wide ribbon to swirl down the center of the tables, with some snowflake confetti in different shades of blue.

I don't know what theme you are going with for your wedding and reception, but you can look around to see what is available. Even Dollar stores have some really cute things to use. I got some 6" octagon shaped mirrors to put votive cups on the tables, for $1 a piece. I would suggest that you just look around this coming year for ideas. There are lots of frugal things you can find to use and no one woill be the wiser.

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dau got married in our yard in June, 07. We took a pallet, spread a quilt on top and she & hubby stood on that for the vows. We had chairs, but ask everyone to bring chairs, some just stood. I had baskets of flowers, Walmart 4.99, sitting on logs. A friends husband took pictures. Wedding music? they had kazoos --everyone played the wedding march on a kazoo--found @ a dollar store. A Pastor friend did the vows. I had a tent & in it I had a decorated card table with the guest book & a terra cotta pot filled with mints & tootsie rolls. I had tablecloths hanging on the clothesline for decoration. She only had 1 attendant, so the only flowers we had was the brides & attendant. We did rent a hall & a catered meal served...and we sure don't want to go into that expense. I made the wedding cake and the sheet cakes were ordered from a warehouse club. She used my wedding cake topper. We used my tablecloths, 50's, on the tables and terra cotta pots of flowers on the tables as decorations. Each place setting had a small terra cotta pot with a seed packet in it. We wrote "Love is growing" their names & date on the pot. Wow..I've written too much... good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Google growlies for groups for large serving recipes and ideas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As far as decorations go, for our reception (after-show party, as I'm calling it 8) ) we're not really doing anything. We're not having banners or balloons, just a nice barbecue in the back garden. I've been taking advantage of offers on burgers, chicken and sausages for ages, and putting them in the freezer whenever I find an offer. Same goes for nibbles - if I find something on offer, I'll put it away in a cupboard. We don't get married until August, and I've been doing this for quite a while. I did mention to some of my friends that if they wanted to help with decorations, to buy a bunch of flowers - they can then be put around the garden to make it look pretty.

I'll be making my own cake, which will be simply decorated and displayed. There'll be a fruitcake on the bottom, a chocolate cake in the middle, and a plate of cookies on the top. That way, there'll be something for everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Kitchenbunny View Post
    I'll be making my own cake, which will be simply decorated and displayed. There'll be a fruitcake on the bottom, a chocolate cake in the middle, and a plate of cookies on the top. That way, there'll be something for everyone.
    Great cake idea! You get to be creative and have the cake that you want, without spending a fortune. I love the cookies on top idea too!

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thought about the disposable cameras if you decide to use them, make sure you tell the guest to be sure to take pictures of the bride and groom. I once heard a story about a couple who sat these out on every table and paid a fortune for developing only to discover that there was not a single picture of the bride and groom, just the people partying at the reception. It would be sad to have a wedding album without pictures of the bride and groom.

Providing alcohol is a real money drainer, think instead of a fountain filled with an alcoholic punch or drink of some sort. cranberry juice and vodka with slices of lime floating would very pretty and economical. Vodka often is on sale and could be purchased a few bottles at a time, same with cranberry juice. Fountains can be rented, or it can be served in a punch bowl.

The wedding cake can be another $ drainer, consider a wedding cake made from cupcakes.

http://www.big-wedding-tiny-budget.c...ing-cakes.html

DJ's or bands can be quite pricey, however a a tuneless wedding reception can seem very blah. Consider investing in a portable stereo that holds several cds and changes automatically. It would not be enjoyable to babysit the stereo and there's bound to be silences. Better to keep the music flowing for several hours and enjoy your reception without cd interuptions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rather than a portable stereo you could just borrow a couple ipods and put the music you like on them .. a 1GB holds over 200 songs!! Also we had disposable cameras at our wedding & the part I enjoyed most about that was having pictures of my guests (we had a photographer as well) .. they also got pictures of us that were quite candid - it's a good idea. We just did one per table so the expense wasnt that great. You could also cook up a couple large turkeys and slice and serve that cold with potluck style dishes and buns etc. Congrats