Pre-Wedding Parties/Gatherings
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Pre-Wedding Parties/Gatherings

Bachelor/Bachelorette parties, Stag & Doe, Jack & Jill, Bridal Shower, Groom Shower and all other types of parties held before the actual wedding for either the bride, groom or both.

Do you prefer to have them traditionally - one for the bride, one for the groom or co-ed? Are these types of events more for the parents of the couple getting married? Who pays/organizes?

Just wondered how many out there thought of these types of events as an excuse to party hard before the person gets married, a money making/gift receiving event OR do you consider this a time to invite friends who may or may not be invited to the wedding as a way to include them w/o really including them? Do you do something simple or go all out and have an extravagant affair?

I have been to a last minute very casual type that was a BBQ in the park for friends and family, one held in a legion hall ie drunk fest, a bar hopping drunk fest, a very formal shee-shee-pooh-pooh hoity toity dinner, an active event ie rock climbing/paintball and one that was a gourmet cooking class. There are so many options out there!

Oh and would love to hear stories of those that you have attended....everything ranging from fun to wonderfully exquisite to horrific.

[and yes I know all of this depends on the person/couple and the budget etc - just wanted to see what everyone thinks about these types of events]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never understood the appeal of all this extra hoopla....
    So, I'm not the best person to ask. The one's I've seen in recent years were an out of control gift grab..... :-(

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The first time I heard about a "Jack & Jill" I was horrified. A co-worker was selling tickets to the event, "so the bride and groom can raise enough money to pay for the wedding." I thought it was sooo incredibly tacky.

Our circle of friends and family is very small, so neither DH or I had a party, or a shower beforehand. But we also married at a later age than most couples and already had individual households.

After our very brief rehearsal we went out to a casual dinner with friends (no family) where everyone bought their own meal and we just kicked back for a while.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been to lingerie showers, traditional bridal showers, engagement parties, rehearsal dinners for 4-170+ ranging from pizza to full sit down dinners with open bar for six hours!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been to several, some where co-ed and some where traditional. I have not been to a "Jack and Jill" and honestly have never heard of one before. The most memorable one was the party bus, basically its a coach bus that has a full stocked bar and drives you to different clubs, bars, parties..ect. We had a blast on the bus, it was decked out with the feather boas, hats, etc. Also, I like that they provided non-alcoholic and spirits (sparkling cider, juice, soda, wine, and cocktails). I also enjoyed one that was out of the country in JA.. so much fun.. Appletom Rum is awesome.

I am not a fan of the very stuffy ones with tea sandwhiches, sunday hats, formal attire. That one was the worst. Very formal from the food to the dress.. not my thing.

Now that my bachelorette party is up next.. I have to admit that I'm pretty stocked about it. They are taking me to a strip tease, pole dancing workshop. Many of my girl friends that cant make the trip to Mexico are attending so this should be fun. And there is a second one thats taking place in Cancun. I can only imagine what the girls have planned in Cancun :-).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jmarie - congrats! When is your wedding date set for?

Jack & Jill/Stag & Doe/Buck & Doe is co-ed party usually held in a bar or legion hall, somewhere with booze and then the bride & groom have prizes and draws and play games. Its supposedly to make money for your upcoming wedding but the money spent to rent the space to host one...ick! I guess its only effective if you're having a HUGE wedding?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh okay.. thanks for explaining that to me. We would not have been successful if we had a Jack and Jill..lol. We are paying for our parents to come to our wedding in Mexico. Our date is June 26, 2010.. its less than 2 mos. away. Even though we are already married, Im soo excited to be marrying my best friend all over again. We had a courthouse wedding June 26, 2009 with just the two of us. Nothing special or fancy other than my ring set, they are family heirlooms from 1910.

When is your day?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a few parties, but still pretty low key. In the south, it's not uncommon for some society types of have tons of parties.

Miscellaneous Shower: Hosted by my aunt in a church activity center. Wedding theme deco, gifts off of registry

Pampered Chef Party: My mom's BFF has a friend who sells PC and wanted her to host a party for the longest so she did it in honor of me. I got all the benefits of being a hostess without all the hassle and guests could buy me gifts.

"Fun Party": This is what we call a lingerie/adult item party. Again, a friend had a friend who sells this stuff and she hosted the party. Again, people got me stuff ( I really could have lived without this stuff). After we went for Mexican and Margaritas and then out for a Martini. So, I guess this was my Bacherlorette party.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great points being made here...love hearing the different ideas & views....keep em coming!

Jmarie - no date set as of yet....life's still dishing us too many lemons to plan a wedding however having said that...getting married isn't out of the question its the wedding we need to save for.