Homemade Wedding Invitations
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Homemade Wedding Invitations

I had to pop into Michael's Craft Store today to pick up something and I happened to pass a huge display of homemade wedding invitation kits. I was flabbergasted at the selection of them, how cute some were, how butt ugly some were (to me at least) and then the price ranges!!

Just wondering how many brides out there made their own wedding invites and if they used these pre-assembled kits where you had to just place into your printer or did you make your own invites from scratch? What are the pros/cons of doing it yourself and how easy was it? Did you go big and 3D or just something simple?

Any tips, suggestions or recommendations for DIY wedding invites?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made my own invites (DH helped) 11 years ago. I think it's a lot more accepted now than it was. Back then there were no kits for it, not like all the DIY stuff you can print off now. And I was told that printing them at home was considered tacky. I didn't care. I really didn't like the sterile, cookie cutter engraved ones everybody gets.

It was a bit of work, the hardest part getting all the right papers and the envelopes together. I used an art paper with flower petals pressed in it, and DH printed the invitation on vellum, and we overlaid that on the flowered paper. I got a pack of wildflower postcards to use for the RSVP, and had to trim them with scrapbook scissors so they'd fit in the envelopes we got from a stationary store. I still have half a ream of buff copy paper we printed the directions on. The envelope also included a pamphlet on the historic chapel we used.

I would say it took us two weeks to gather all the materials and do the printing. DH also computer printed the address labels. I can't remember what it cost.

The most important thing is, if you print them yourself, to get a good readable font. And don't fall in love with it until you make some test runs. My first choice font was unreadable in the scale we used, as was the 2nd choice.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ordered Mine from 123 Print 87 dollars after shipping for some really cute ones for 250 !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My daughter and I made hers. She took her time and they came out wonderful. She and SIL paid for half of the wedding and we paid for the other half. So this was an expense that was much cheaper that the ones we looked at. She was able to put her personal touch on them. We used card stock, vellum and ribbon. It was a fun project. She's really tallented in that aspect. She now makes wonderful one of a kind birthday invitations for her boys. Good luck Libby! Enjoy the planning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - your invitations sound wonderful - hope you saved some for scrapbooking or framing!! What a work from the heart!

Jantana - what a special time to make them with your DD!!

Love hearing these stories - wish I had thought of it when we were doing ours!!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We just had a kit from staples and printed them on the computer. My friend who got married 2 weeks before us did the same thing, exact same paper. That was before all this fancy scrapbooking stuff was popular, there must be a ton of stuff to choose from now. I'm not crafty or creative, so I never would have been able to just come up with something from scratch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even using your supplies and going to a copy shop (if you don't have a great printer) could save money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We was married about 12 years ago. We made our own from scratch. We did it to save cost since we paid for our wedding ourselves and we was only 18. I loved them. We got our paper at the dollar stores...got four packs they had wedding bells in the background, made a template on the computer and printed them. We made RSVP cards too. It was fun. Prewedding bonding since DH helped.
    Jenny

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we looked at many options and decided to go with this: A friend of a friend is a graphic artist, She did the desing of the invite and the reply card. We wanted to be green and use little paper.
    The invite and rsvp were both post cards put in one enveloppe and people sent only the pre-stamped postcard back.
    Design aside, it came up to about 1,50$ per set.
    Plus they were so original and unique.
    Since we had so many to send, it did come out less expensive that way then doing it ourselves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used paperdirect.com, and then had them printed at a shop. I don't remember the price, but our entire wedding was under $3500, so they had to have been pretty cheap. They weren't anything special, but they got the point across.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made my invitations myself, with FDH help on the text styles.

I bought some plain ivory card inserts and envelopes from ebay along with some gold heart stickers and other wedding themed stickers.

I went online to get the right wording for the invites and put them into word ( i really should put a picture up) did a couple of test prints to make sure they looked ok. Oncei got the final print I did a count and printed the amount i wanted off and using the gold stickers i got i put a double heart in one corner and a ribbon effect corner peice in the opposite corner and on the back i put wedding invitation (also in gold)

I also did the same for RSVP cards, reception invites and save the date cards all using the same style.

They look pretty good and in total only cost me about 30 for all the materials i needed, took some time putting them together but it was worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used a Gartner kit from Michael's that had a layer of homemade paper with yellow and orange botanicals (leaves, etc) pressed into it with a layer of vellum over the top, secured with a ribbon. I personalized the kit by replacing the ivory ribbon with red to make the colors more "autumnal," and printed the RSVP cards as postcards instead of as cards requiring an envelope. I used clip art of a tree with orange leaves on one side with our names and the wedding date, and typed up the back side to look like a postcard (I looked in a wedding invitation catalog to figure out what it should look like). The envelope seals were "T" initial stickers I found at Dollar Tree. I did a lot of practice with fonts and paper cut to size to make sure everything looked right before I ran the vellum through. I now have the one I saved framed and hanging in our master bedroom.

I attached a pic so you can see how they turned out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MyMelody - thanks for posting the pic - your invites look awesome!! I'd frame them too.

I just finished designing our invites - bought card stock and am ready to print them out and pop them in the mail. Everyone knows when the date is - we wanted to give a heads up so people could plan their expenses and arrange for care of their children and pets etc. The invitations that are going to follow will make it official