Wedding Reception/Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wedding Reception/Food

My oldest DD is getting married in May. There are 250+ people on her guest list. I'm thinking about half will actually attend the wedding. We have been looking for a caterer (that we can afford). My DD21 keeps saying that we should do the food ourselves. I can not begin to imagine doing food for that many people. I'm stressed as is it and I think I would be a total wreck the day of the wedding. Etiquette-wise, she is getting married in the late evening and we should serve a sit down dinner. When discussing foods with the caterers, it is so confusing to me because they have soooooo many choices. Can someone help me with some ideas? Is it too much for us to try to accomplish this major task by ourselves (I do have family that would help)? And what would be the most frugal foods to serve? Her finace's Aunt is making the wedding cake and groom's cake... so we don't have to worry about that part. That is her gift to them. We just need to figure out all the rest. Thanks for any help/advice!

I left out a bit of information. We are having the wedding at our home... outside...

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

congrats on the wedding! My ds is getting married july 2nd. They are having about 100 guests.

What is the theme/feel of the wedding? Where are they having it? We have tossed around all these things ourselves, in the beginnning my ex who is a chef was going to do the food, but since he is a chef not a caterer it was going to be too stressful as he was doing it on his own not through the restaraunt he would have had to rent a lot of serving things ect and since he is the father of the groom wanted to play that role instead of chef. He will be doing some stuff for the rehersal dinner thought and is helping with the cost of a caterer.

Some venues won't allow anyone other than a caterer to do the food so you will have to check and see if that is even doable.

There are BBQ places, chicken places and deli's that do things that are more rustic than fancy and some just drop off the food and you are responsible for serving.

If you do it your self how will the food be served? Who will serve it? Depending on how fancy you will have to rent chafers and everything there are a lot of details down to salt and pepper shakers.

You don't have very long that is for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh's cousin got married last fall. The family did the wedding food. They had huge roasters of chicken, meatballs, mashed potatoes and all the things that usually go with it. It was pulled off very well. The bride had asked if anyone would be willing to help and lots of us pitched in. It was a nice gift to be able to help!

They did hire someone to keep the roasters, platters etc full and clear the plates etc. They served 150 people without a hitch!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

jas... It is an outdoor wedding at our home. One of my concerns was the fact if the food needed to be kept warm... I don't have things for that. So there again we are renting. I just keep thinking... caterer... I do want to be able to enjoy the wedding and not be stressed over the food... But I don't want to go broke doing it.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emily_hope View Post
    jas... It is an outdoor wedding at our home. One of my concerns was the fact if the food needed to be kept warm... I don't have things for that. So there again we are renting. I just keep thinking... caterer... I do want to be able to enjoy the wedding and not be stressed over the food... But I don't want to go broke doing it.
    I hear you there! Since it is at home it will/would be fine I think to have it a little less fancy. Have you checked the prices for renting the chaffers? I think here they were renting for about 20.00 each. Depending on how many items you are serving. You can go to Sams or what ever store of that type you have near and they also sell them. You can use disposable pans that hold the food and can buy the sterno there too.

I had a lot of idea for ds's wedding, but the bride had other ideas and well between my ex and her side it was thier choice. I always seem to sound cheap to them. Oh, well money does not grow on any trees in my yard. Ds was okay with anything. Just want a good party and fun. Not much into the details.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From a food safety standpoint, I would not want to be responsible for feeding that many people without professional help. 50 maybe, but more than that, no way!

Can you get away with beverages/appetizers? A BBQ?

Good luck!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Up here we have a grocery chain that has a florist in it. And if you buy the flowers for your wedding there, you get a discount on the food through the kitchen area. Any chance you have something similar there?

That's a lot of people to cook for and a lot of stress when you are supposed to be enjoying your daughter's day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree McD! I know with the food being done by the family for dh's cousin it was not done buy the bride, groom or their parents. they took part in the planning but that was it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dd is getting married a year from May... I have a client who used to own a restaurant in town. She is going to run the kitchen for my dd's reception. Prior to the wedding, we will be preparing the food. Many of my friends are offering to help. We also expect the guest list to be around 250-350. If I were to pay a caterer for that many people and be upset with the food or service....it would make me sick. I would rather have some control of what we are doing. I am already checking into prices and figuring out dishes to be served. Keep me in your loop..I'd like to hear how your dd's wedding turns out...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

when my brother got married a few years ago they actually had a pot luck BUT they also hired a caterer to do the serving, cleaning and really being in charge of all aspects of the food, except cooking it. And whether you do the cooking or not you're going to have to rent plates, stem ware and flatware, unless its a very casual wedding and you're doing paper products.

I want to say there was at least 100 people there. It was an outside wedding but there was a barn on the property. The food was in the barn and they rented a tent/tables etc for everyone to sit and eat.

Believe me at first I thought the potluck idea was horrible but in the end I have to say it was one of the nicest weddings I have ever been to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have thought about a BBQ. And we thought maybe just appetizers, beverages and a dessert bar. People tell me that we need a sit down dinner with it being after 5:00...?

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have thought about a BBQ. And we thought maybe just appetizers, beverages and a dessert bar. People tell me that we need a sit down dinner with it being after 5:00...?
    No problem, provide chairs and they can sit down and eat what ever is served. They can still sit down and eat if it is buffet and is BBQ.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Appetizers and dessert sound like a good idea, because frankly it sounds like you can't afford to feed 250 people a sit down dinner. And there's no reason you should go into debt doing that either. A wedding celebration should be what you can afford, not what you think your guests are expecting.

Call it a cocktail reception. Have a couple of mixed drinks (virgin if necessary) a champagne toast, and a selection of nibbles, plus the cake.

I think 5pm is early enough that people can get dinner afterward.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly? I wouldn't listen to people. Not everyone can afford $50,000+ for a sit-down meal. If people are that hard up for a free dinner, they should go to a soup kitchen.

The focus of a wedding should be on celebrating 2 people joining their lives, not on what is or isn't served. As long as you're completely clear in the invitation as to what they should expect, there shouldn't be an issue.

However, if you feel that you need to stick to what Emily Post says, would the couple consider adjusting the time of the wedding to suit the budget, having it at a time that doesn't "require" a sit-down dinner? Is cutting the guest list an option?

This is exactly why I eloped!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Appetizers and dessert sound like a good idea, because frankly it sounds like you can't afford to feed 250 people a sit down dinner. And there's no reason you should go into debt doing that either. A wedding celebration should be what you can afford, not what you think your guests are expecting.

Call it a cocktail reception. Have a couple of mixed drinks (virgin if necessary) a champagne toast, and a selection of nibbles, plus the cake.

I think 5pm is early enough that people can get dinner afterward.
    I agree with this 100%. the trend lately is to do what you want, not what the guests expect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast