What Type Of Wedding Did You Have?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What Type Of Wedding Did You Have?

Dh and I got married at a justice of the peace and we did not buy new clothes, we wore jeans. We also have never had wedding rings, my parents never had wedding rings either. We did not want to go into any debt to marry. Everyone makes different choices regarding their wedding, this was ours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh and I did the JP thing also.We do have rings. I am not comfortable being the center of attention o this was the way to go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had an outdoor wedding with the mayor presiding over us. It poured so we ended up marrying on the balcony where we held the reception. I negotiated $200 for the whole day for the beautiful building in the park. They ended up giving it to us for two days so we could clean up. We stockpiled beverages for weeks before the wedding and a friend who owned a restaurant gave us a good deal on the food for the wedding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a quick and cheap wedding. We were married in Laughlin NV. We were living in 29 Palms CA as hubby at the time was in the Marine Corps. We married on the 7th of Feb. and he left for Okinowa on the 14th (he was gone a year!). I got a new dress, not a wedding dress just a nice dress, and hubby wore his dress blues. It was a nice, simple, inexpensive wedding. We did have rings, again inexpensive...we have since gotten new ones. We have been married for 12 years now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a church wedding & reception. Nothing extravagant, only about 40 of our closest family & friends. We saved up for a year to pay for it, it was less than $5000 for everything. Including my dress (dh wore his dress blues), not bad

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had the BIG church wedding, candlelight ceremony, etc. I had the dress of my dreams (and the groom of my dreams ). I had 5 bridesmaids & 1 Jr. bridesmaid. Philip had 5 groomsmen and 1 ring bearer. We probably had 300 guests. We had a reception but not a sit down dinner. Total cost: less than $3000. I saved on flowers (didn't have them, had ivy/ferns instead), food (did some ourselves, had a church member help), my dress (off the rack $200), the bridesmaids dresses ($99 ea. from JC Penney). Didn't skimp on the cake or the photographer.

Maybe not for everyone, but definitely for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

30 years ago we had a beautifully frugal wedding.

My parents had a restaurant in a small community. We used a flier and word of mouth to invite anyone and everyone in the community. 285 people came to our wedding along with lots of family from all over the country.

We were married in April just as the flowers were starting to bloom. The ladies of the church gathered these and made wonderful flower arrangements for us. I borrowed a gorgeous wedding gown from a friends sister. The cake was a present from a decorator that was also a friend and the ladies of the church added sheet cakes and other snacks. Photos were taken by a friend who was an amateur photographer. Now a professional.

It was a wonderful day. No one was asked to do any of these things. They volunteered! And, the cost total was....$200.00! 1976 money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our wedding was at a culinary school. Students cooked, set up and waited tables. They were graded after the reception
    So we did have the sitdown dinner reception, just cheaper than at a regular function hall.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a very simple wedding-75 guests, church ceremony, and I catered the food. We had the reception at my inlaws.
    One of the best weddings I've ever attended was a clambake on the beach-it was so much fun and not very expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, our wedding is our family legend, it'll be passed on for generations

Hubby and I lived together and bought a farm before we were married, we started tentatively planning a wedding, we were going to announce it to the family at a picnic, just before hubby spoke up his brother announced HE was getting married, we didn't say a word, I was not putting the family through two weddings in a year. So we put it off.

For the next year we discussed it and decided to just go to the JP and get it done, hubby was on his way home to start vacation and on the way home I answered the phone, hubbies boss, the guy that was supposed to cover hubbies vacation's father died, no vacation that year, no wedding.

SOOOO the next year, again, hubbie is on his way home to start vacation and phone rings, hubbies Grandma died, I'm beginning to feel we're NOT supposed to get married!

We decided we'd still get married, but after the funeral. Well Grandma was Catholic and no funeral that Monday, it was all Saints day. So funeral on Tues, it was a good old fashioned Polish Catholic funeral, complete with Grandmas whole bowling team! We quietly told his mom that after the funeral we were heading to a local small town where they're old minister was now working and tying the knot. Ends up that brother also had a big announcement to make, first grand baby was on the way!

K, imagine being in the basement of a funeral home having cold cuts and coffee and all the sudden mom LOUDLY announces our WEDDING and the GRAND BABY!!! Yikes! The applause probably made the poor guy in the casket upstairs sit up! LOLOL.

So we left the funeral home and headed out, got to the town early so went to Wendys and had biggie fries and biggie iced teas, then off to the church.

It was WONDERFUL!! Just hubby, myself and Reverend Jeff in the sanctuary, Rev. Jeff was so thrilled to preside that he kept stopping and looking at us and saying "I'm so HAPPY to be doing this!" "I'm so THRILLED for YOU"!!

We still celebrate with biggie fries and biggie iced teas 12 years later!

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love hearing how innovative everyone has been. I especially like the culinary school and do it yourself catering. I recently read of a bride who had her bridesmaids take classes at the local crafts store so they could learn to cake decorate, do the flower arranging and make centerpieces for the wedding.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Frugalfarm wife I loved your story. The wait was worth it.
    We had a small church wedding. Nothing fancy. My dh, MIL and my self cooked the food the night before, we decorated the the reception area in the church. Our children were our bridesmaids, matron of honor and bestman and groomsmen. They also gave us away along with our parents. It was very beautiful to us. Our granddaughters were flower girls. Cost was under $1000. Close friends and church members was about 75 people.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours was simple and fun. The ceremony was on a Friday evening at church (we were 18 and 20) with our closest family members and friends, in addition to lots of aunts, uncles, and young cousins by the dozen etc. I made my dress and wore flowers in my hair, we bought simple gold bands and had a reception at my parents' home. I would guess the whole wedding cost around $300. (This was in 1970.) We started frugally and have lived that way from the beginning!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got married at the courthouse on Valentine's Day 2000 had 15 people with us, there was a reporter there and had a write up in the paper about getting married on Valentine's day. Went to my MIL where she did a huge feast and we got a small wedding cake-my mom's present to us. 8 months later we went on a honeymoon to Niagara Falls (we saved and paid for in cash), and renewed our vows, just th 2 of us, on top of Bridal Veil Falls, and spent 2 weeks hiking, wine tasting and doing all the touristy kinds of things you can do in Niagara Falls. Our room was upgraded and discounted because we got married by someone at the hotel we stayed at. Our rings we got a deal on as we used to work with the girl who sold us the rings. My dress (for the 2nd ceremony) was discounted to $90.
    Last edited by LadybugDreams; 05-03-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Such wonderful stories!!

We had a church wedding and reception. We had 250 guests. It was a wonderful wedding with lots of friends and family.......we celebrate 21 years on the 18th of this month!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast