I was just wondering about wedding showers
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I was just wondering about wedding showers

Can you describe to me what one is like (a typical one) in your area?

For us it's like this:

We have about 15-20 hostesses, sometimes we have the shower at a hostesses home and sometimes it's a church in a fellowship hall or at the community building. We have a nice center piece and serve (depending on the time of day of the shower) either cake and punch or breakfast breads and punch (for a brunch shower) and fruits/fruit dip or cookies and punch. The bride to be sits and opens her gifts with about 50-100 guests about oohhing and aawwing. The hostesses chip in about $20-25 ea. and get her a nice gift (like a nice set of cookware or the serving pieces to her dishes, etc.). It will usually last about 2 hours. We have a corsage for the bride to be and take a pic and have it put in the paper. In our area it's taboo for family members to give the shower or be hostesses on it. I know that differs from region to region as does most of it.

So tell me what a shower is like in your neck of the woods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, nothing that elaborate here! Families can absolutley put on a shower. Showers tend to be held in a home and are put on by 1 or 2 hostesses. I'd look for no more than 15-20 guest (that's plenty for a living room). There are usually snacks like a veggie tray, maybe some pigs in a blanket, beverages (perhaps alcoholic as well), etc. Everyone brings their own gift for the bride to be; usually something practical from the registry (measuring cups, etc), or it is a "themed" shower like a lingerie shower, or a kitchen shower. The bows are saved and put on a paper plate to be made into the rehersal bouquet. A wedding shower would not make the newspaper. A few games might be played for fun. It's pretty casual.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Shower

Where I am from (NE Ohio) it's tradition for the Maid/Matron of Honor to throw the shower. My cousin was my Maid of Honor and 2 of my younger cousins were flower girls. My 2 Aunts (the girls mothers) threw the shower. It was at my Aunt's Home outdoors. We had a full meal catered (chicken marsalla rice pilaf and green beans) then my aunts and mom made desserts. Instead of a sheet cake we did pies and cookies. There were about 50 people there and while I opened gifts the ladies ate. Also, usually the bride is surrounded by her maids and she introduces them and the Mom and MIL to everyone. Another tradition is that the groom comes to the shower towards the end of the event for all the ladies to ooh and aww over him. Mine came and brought me a dozen roses!!! Sometimes the brides father and FIL will come also.

I have also been to 2 couples bridal showers. There is the usual gift opening but instead of all kitchen type stuff the guys will get tools and that type of thing. These kind of showers are way more like parties than traditional showers. Usually in the evening and with alcohol. One I went to was a Mexian Fiesta Theme and they served Sangria and Corona.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Around here, the shower is given either by the sisters of the bride or by the maid of honor. The taboo part around here is in the mother of the bride giving the shower-- that's just not done. Sometimes the shower takes place at the mother's house, but, it's technically "given" by the sisters or bridesmaids.

It's usually held in either someone's home or in a church hall. There are typically 20-40 guests, and the bride opens her gifts in front of them. Usually a few games are played either in between the opening of gifts or before the gift opening begins. (Typical games: quizzes about the bride/groom, the who has the most items from a list in their purse game, etc.) The winner of the game gets a small prize-- like a kitchen whisk, or a small bottle of lotion. (At some showers the winner turns around and gives that prize to the bride, and at others, the bride and the game winner both receive an identical prize for each game.)

A lot of times the shower invitation specifies something to bring along with your gift-- like two of your favorite recipes, or, a recipe attached to a "staple" pantry item to help stock the new couple's pantry (ie: a spaghetti recipe taped to a box of spaghetti).

Sometimes the showers have a theme, and guests are asked to bring a gift with that theme. For my shower they did an around-the-clock theme, and everyone was assigned a time of day, and their gift was supposed to match that time of day. People got creative with making their gifts match their time (a glass serving pitcher for middle-of-the-night drinks, etc).

Food-wise, it's usually lunch time. The last shower I went to had punch, finger sandwiches, and various cold appetizers (dips, veggies, etc). I've also been to several that just served cake and punch.

I've never seen a shower in the paper around here, either-- it's just a casual event.
    Last edited by AmyMCGS; 05-26-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my experience, around here (upstate NY) it is typically the bridesmaids (whether family or not) who host the shower. It is noted, however, that they are the bridesmaids and that is why they are hostessing- othewise family is taboo here, too. Obviously, then, the number of hostesses depends on the size of the wedding party. As for guests, typically all the women who will later be invited to the wedding (the nearby ones, anyway) are invited to the shower.

It can be in a home, at a restaurant, or at a church hall. (Mine was at a restaurant, and it was wonderful!)

The menu can be anything from just hors doeuvres with beverages to a whole meal. There is always cake.

Sometimes there are games, but usually just small ones that aren't too terribly time consuming or ridiculous, although I know a lot of people do play silly games. In my family, we did very little in the way of games because most people we know do not enjoy them.

Mostly, the poor guests sit and watch while someone takes forever to open gifts. (Cynical, aren't I? LOL) We try to do this whole process as quickly as possible.

We don't put pictures in the paper around here. And there is a silly superstition about cutting/breaking ribbons and the number of children the married couple will have. The ribbons/bows are saved on a paper plate to be used as the "flowers" for the wedding rehearsal, though I've never known anyone who actually used them for such a purpose.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here the maid of honor and the bridesmaids throw the shower. The mother of the bride is in on the planning if she would like to be.

It's held either at someone's home, or at a restaurant. My closest friends and I all had ours at each others mothers homes (if that makes sense) but, all the work showers I've been to have been at restaurants.

For the home ones, we served appetizers like veggies and pastry puffs, etc. Then we had either a ham or baked ziti or something like that, and a cake for dessert. At the restaurant ones, the menu was fixed and you served what the bridal party had ordered for the party. And, of course, there is cake. Alcohol is usually offered at either type of shower.

Sometimes there is something cutesy, like write down your best advice on marriage or something like that. There is also a game or two, like Bridal Bingo with prizes for the winners. What my friends and I do is address the Thank you cards ahead of time, and write down on a post-it note who gave what gift as they are opened and put them in the cards. Makes it SO much easier for the bride to write her thank-you's later.

The gifts are usually either gift cards or things that the bride and groom registered for. Guest list depends on the size of the bride and grooms family and circle of friends. I can't speak for other wedding parties, but my bridesmaids chipped in and got me a beautiful gold bracelet that was engraved. We've done similar things for other brides that I've been in weddings for.