Children & Wedding Receptions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Children & Wedding Receptions

I'd like to get your opinion on this.... We have a family wedding to go to next Saturday. We were just informed that there are 'no kids allowed' which means my step daughter cannot attend. DH and I have no problem with this, but alot of other people are having a fit because kids can't go.

When I was married the first time, I had a big wedding and reception and the only kids in attendance were the kids in my wedding party.

So what are your feelings on this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It really depends. It doesn't bother me when they say no kids allowed. I have had 2 out of state wedding in which there were no kids allowed. For both I had to bring my daughter on the trip but had to find a sitter for both in the hotel. No big deal. If she's invited, I bring her along if not, I get a sitter. I don't see why people owuld throw a fit, it's not their wedding to decide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think its up to the bride and groom and if thats how they want it then thats the way it should be. I drives me nuts when people bring small kids to certain events, like parent-teacher confrences when your in the room and some little moster is just running around. Or like ods's h.s. graduation a few weeks ago. Someone with a baby and the baby is crying and crying. This person would not get up and go outside or somewhere and we were trying to hear the speakers etc. Get a babysitter and if you cant afford one then dont go. JMHO

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

in our case, we have no problem if that's what the bride and groom want, but then we usually dont attend, i wont leave my kids with just anyone...and usually those i could leave them with are at the wedding, and if i'm in an odd town, then i cant leave the kids close by, if they were older and could sleep over at friends...

so no hard feelings to the happy couple, but in return i hope no hard feelings towards us..no everyone has places to drop off their kids

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is up to the bride & groom to decide, since it's their party. If the invitation did not include my kids, I would simply decline. Perhaps the people who are having a fit were under the impression that their kids were welcome and are only finding out now that they are not. I would be pretty upset if I had made arrangements to attend a wedding, only to find out a week before that I couldn't go.

I don't have the option of hiring a babysitter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There have been those here to when my son was small.
    I just didn't go...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only kids at my wedding were from out-of-town guests, flower girl and ring bearer. I figured in town guests could find a babysitter-I couldn't afford to pay for the meals if everyone brought their kids!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a problem with a bride and groom wanting a wedding without children. I think the couple needs to make their intentions known from the get go. The problem that I have is waiting until a couple weeks before the wedding to make your intentions known or someone that can't make up their mind. I was in a wedding and found out a 1 1/2 week before the wedding that children weren't suddenly not invited. I was a little miffed about it because of the timing of their decision. I had to scramble around to try and find childcare at the last minute.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't see anything wrong with not wanting children at a wedding. It should be one the most special days in the couples life and it is their decision to have children there or not. It is annoying to attend a special event and have a small child suddenly become fussy, even if the parent removes the child as soon as the fussing begins, it still is distracting. JMHO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, unless there is a good relationship between the child and the married couple, having children at the wedding can be very stressful. This day is specifically for the bride and groom, not the four year old that cries during the reception because he can't have his favorite toys, or the little girls who get into a fight, or the little boy who spends all night running and hiding because the little girls are chasing him and want to kiss him. I don't have kids, and I don't have any young children that I am close to. In my opinion, unless there are children that are close to the bride and groom, a wedding should be an adult occasion and I see no reason why children should have to be invited simply because they are cousins or nieces and nephews.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, I think its up to the bride and groom and their preference however they should state their 'rules' when the invite and RSVP go out so its all out in the open. But what kills me is that they will state NO KIDS or ADULTS ONLY and then have 3 kids in the actual wedding party - like holy, make up your mind!

The last wedding I went to the best man just had a baby so his wife was there with the newborn. That was the only baby in the NO KIDS ALLOWED reception ... man did that ever cause an uproar!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If children were not invited to a wedding reception, we declined to attend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really can't think of a more boring place as a child. Yes, you can dance, but not much else. I really don't think kids belong at weddings/receptions. As a parent, I enjoy weddings much more when my kids aren't there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I still find weddings to be a bit dull. Whether children are invited or not, we always decline.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never been offended by 'no kids allowed' events. I think that any party, no matter if it is a wedding or just a party, should be age appropriate. Some parties aren't 'kid appropriate', whether it's because of content or the need for adult behavior, i.e. staying quiet for long periods of time. If I can't get a sitter, I've graciously turned down an invitation, or I've attended and DH has not to stay with the kids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast