What a find!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a find!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What a find!

Today we hauled out a big load of trash, and like always, we checked out the metal recycling pile. Our transfer station allows us to salvage items for free and we've found some great stuff over the years.

Today I found a wire pen. I think it's the top of a bunny hutch or something. I salvaged that to put over garden plants so the deer can't eat them.

I also found another stainless steel double sink. I'm collecting those to make a table garden with. They're easy to come by and the price is right. When I get one or two more, I'll make a stand for them and have durable planting boxes with drainage holes built right in.

But the best thing I've found out there in a long time is this:

It was just sitting there all by its lonesome today, waiting to be taken to its new home. It doesn't even need paint! I'm going to find a scrap of board out in my garage, paint it black, and make a temporary shelf on top . Then I'll keep my eyes open for something unique to make a permanent shelf, or else just leave well enough alone. It's going to make a dandy plant stand in our south window.

I just love these little bonuses!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

our stainless steel double sink in our house (that we built) came from the landfill. I contend that if you had enough time, you could build an entire house out of dump finds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Such fun and love the finds!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That Singer sewing machine stand is just like the stand on my Singer cabinet. I love how old furniture seems to last forever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I salvaged a sink years ago but never got it installed in another house we had. The sink I got today has a badly bent corner, so I wouldn't want it in the kitchen. But it's perfectly fine to use in the table garden. I agree, you can find pretty much everything secondhand or in the junk pile if you're patient enough.

I am so excited about the sewing machine stand. My husband loves it too. He never says anything about this kind of stuff, but I can tell by how he acts. When I asked him to load it for me out at the dump, he was all like "what do you want that thing for?" But just now when I started tightening up the bolts to firm up the stand, he suddenly appeared out of the blue and got right down there on the floor with me. Too funny! Not only do I appreciate old things more and more now that I am one, but I'm also an avid seamstress and have been all my life. And I love cast iron, too. It's just so perfect for me in so many ways.

I used a piece of black lamp chain and attached it so the foot platform is level. We have a beaver figurine that holds a welcome sign, and that (or something like it) can sit on the platform now to add even more visual interest and tie it all into our northwoods decor. Then I tightened up the part that protected the sewer from the wheel where the belt went, and that stays in place where it should now. I can't decide if the paint is original. I think it almost has to be because of how perfect the gold accents look. The paint is in exceptional condition, so that's all I care about. I'm working sooooo hard not to bring home any more projects, but I'll admit I'd have probably dragged this thing home regardless of the condition. The fact it needs next to nothing done to it is a huge, huge bonus, as if getting it in the first place wasn't bonus enough! The base is all done already and it only took a few minutes. All that's left is painting the top. I found a scrap board and got the diagonals cut on the corners and slapped the first coat of paint on, so that process is in progress and won't take much hands-on time. The entire project is going to end up being absolutely, completely free. Love that!

A fast and dirty search on eBay showed that these list for about $150 including the shipping. Not bad for a trash-picked item! Some of the info I found states this was made in the 1920's and that sounds about right.

I can't wait to get this all fixed up! It's going to be so darn cute!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wtg!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Such a cool idea! Glad it got rescued. You're right, the paint is just beautiful. I love the idea of a table garden with the sinks! Are you planning to put anything underneath, or leave it just grass/earth/gravel underneath?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll build a framework for the sinks to sit in, at counter height. It's too hard on my back to work on the ground. It won't cost much to build a simple frame.

I also salvaged some flower pots at the dump (it's not really a dump, so everything is pretty clean). One of them is a really nicely shaped terra cotta pot with saucer, and I'm starting to like the thought of that to go with the cast iron. I'll see what else I come up with. I had some interesting pots already, so I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice find!
    That is nice that the transfer station will let you bring stuff home. I bet you can find some great deals there.
    I enjoy watching Nancytoday on youtube go to shopping at the dump. In her case her transfer station has a store where everything is free. Sometimes the nicest things are in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours is not a store. They have a huge trailer inside a building, where you throw the icky trash over a rail and it slides down into the trailer. Nobody can salvage there, and I can't imagine wanting to. Ew! There's a bundler for cardboard in the same building. In the space between the trailer and the bundler, they let people set things that they think others might want. I snagged a half dozen nice flower pots in that area today. It's usually just a few things sitting around there. I got a cute sauna bucket there once. It won't hold water anymore, but I put our pet brushes in it and set it by our living room heating stove.

Most of the rest of the stuff is outside. There's an area for recycling appliances, and a pile for recyclable metals. I like to scavenge both of those. A lot of times we find nothing, but once in a while there's a real gem.

There is also a construction debris pile. We don't usually look through there. But that area has a shed where people can drop off stuff that may be reusable, like doors, windows, cabinets, etc. Anyone can just take stuff they want.

It's a nice arrangement that helps keep stuff out of landfills and helps people save some money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love it! It's beautiful! Congrats on such a fantastic find.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Your lucky to be able to do that. We have a landfill and it cost $40. to go in. I think that would have gotten sold as scrap here. such a waste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice find

Many years ago, at the town dump, I found a wooden sewing table. I asked the guy working there, if I could go get it. It was further out in the area, and I had to walk over some interesting stuff to get to it. Just the table, no machine, but my Singer dropped right into oh so sweet. I still have the stand and it is used when I do sew

When it was dump day, I always got kidded, I brought home more than I took. It was not safe to let me go with the pickup.

Now that same dump, has this small building, where people can put the better stuff in case someone else wants to salvage. The metal pile is off limits however. The town sells that scrap to generate income.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep thinking ... if the treadle still works then you could use a little leg muscle to power all sorts of things ... a nut sheller? a grain mill? an ice cream bucket?

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My mom has a Singer base like that. She had it converted into a sewing table. It has a nice wood top on it. She pins her blankets on it, puts her sewing machine on it. One of her favorite things ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast