What do you write or like to write?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What do you write or like to write?

I used to write on Themestream [anyone remember that website?]

Also have written a few other places as well ... mostly online places but nothing big [I'm mean, it's not like I'm a well known writer or anything. ]

As for writing, it's something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember [I want to write an Inspirational Romance book!]

So, why haven't I? I don't know [maybe I don't have stick-to-it-ivness?] Hmmm, is that a real word? ha! ha!

Anyways, I've decided that I can do this if I set my mind to it and so am going to go for it.

I have had no writing classes or training [have any of you?] Just curious!

Love,

Jen

Oh yeah ... back to the reason I started this thread, what do you write?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love to write! It's always been a dream of mine to write a book. However, lack of time is a big creativity killer. I do write some poetry...just not as much as I used to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Non-fiction books -- one published and three more at various stages in the computer.

No formal classes on writing books or articles if that is what you mean but I did much research and writing in college. You can certainly learn the mechanics of writing in classes but I think there are some things you just have to learn by experience -- like dealing with a publisher and editors. I know there are classes out there on that but when you are dealing with people there is not going to be one way that everyone does anything. All a teacher or any published writer for that matter can tell you about is their own experience.

Of course you can do it. Remember "a journey of a thousand miles beins with a single step."

Oh and by the way -- I do remember Themestream. They owed me money. That is one of the reasons I no longer bother with writing for the internet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jen, we sound alot alike. I love to write, it has always been a hobby. I was an English major in school, and had planned on teaching English. On my life's "to-do" list, is writing a novel. I am on my second try, now. I had half of it done and my computer crashed and I had never saved my work (lesson learned, btw).

I took lots of English classes, but that doesn't help you much with writing fiction, you need more creativity than anything. When I decided to finally write it, I went to my library, and checked out the writing section. You would be surprised at how many books are out there about writing books! If you check, you'll find something to help you.

To me, the hardest part is doing the leg work before you write. If you sit down and just start writing, then your story will be one dimensional and possibly confused.

In order to make your characters real and dimensional, they need to have histories. Basically, for all of my main characters and main support characters, I had to sit down and make a "life" for each of them. So I have notes on each character about what they look like, what their personalities are, and what has happened to them up to this point in their lives. Basically, you are creating a person, so they need some history to make them real. The more you do this before you start writing, the better you know your character and the more you can write about them!

Plus, I had to do town histories, town maps, location profiles, etc. It's alot of work to keep everything organized so I don't contradict myself while I'm writing, by I love it!

Maybe you and I can set up a challenge! One chapter a month (rough draft, of course). I'm 2 chapters in thus far...but you could do your research work, etc. first and we could add that into the challange! I could use some motivation. I try to write an hour a day, but with summer upon me, I have been tending not to sit down at the puter to write!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I enjoy writing poetry, I have been lucky enough to have one of my poems printed in a local publication. I have also entered a couple of competitions over time. But I mostly like to do it just for me. It keeps my mind ticking over, I don't necessarily care if others read it.
    cheers froggy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would love to write a book, definitely fiction.

Sarah, I love your hint/suggestion of doing the research before hand. Maybe that is where I've gone wrong, well that and lack of time. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I write about stuff, like a diary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My novel is a thriller/suspense story. Still shopping it around to get representation, however, not too actively right at the moment.

I also enjoy writing articles on a variety of topics. I've had a few published online and two in print.

Basically, I just like to write. I have a gajillion journals around the house with things I've written. One in my nightstand to write down my dreams in case they inspire a story, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like to write a fictional novel. It is actually my biggest dream, if you don´t count staying cancer-free or world peace.

I have read many books about writing, one of the most interesting ones was written by Steven King. I haven´t read his novels, not my type, but I liked this one. He tells how he writes and how he became a writer. I really recommend this book. Don´t remember the title.

A friend of mine used to write articles to magazines as a free-lancer. She had a major burnout two years ago and says she will never do it again. She had strict timelines and was always late, because IMO she wanted everything to be perfect and was never satisfied with her texts. Also, she didn´t get to write about things that interested her, but magazines asked her to write about certain subjects.

I have thought about writing something first and then trying to sell it.
    Last edited by iida; 07-30-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sarah,

I am so sorry that I haven't answered your post before now. Have had so much going on that when I need to do something that makes me have to "think", I shut down. Not a good excuse really but I've just been majorly stressed lately.

Anyways, I am so sorry that you lost all of your work you did on your 1st try ... that would be devestating!

Those are really good ideas about the characters and all the background work and I need to try them [first though, I need to figure out a plot. *lol*]

Haven't been able to even think about writing the past month or so [too tired to think basically.]

I'd love a challenge with you but for now, I can't commit to anything [I wish I could though!]

For me to do that, I'd get even more stressed and then it wouldn't be fun. Some people can get really motivated from challenges but I'm not one of them.

Again, thank you for all your great tips and ya know, sitting down and making them into real people with histories and so forth does really sound like fun!

(Hugs)

Love,

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Boyz View Post
    Jen, we sound alot alike. I love to write, it has always been a hobby. I was an English major in school, and had planned on teaching English. On my life's "to-do" list, is writing a novel. I am on my second try, now. I had half of it done and my computer crashed and I had never saved my work (lesson learned, btw).

I took lots of English classes, but that doesn't help you much with writing fiction, you need more creativity than anything. When I decided to finally write it, I went to my library, and checked out the writing section. You would be surprised at how many books are out there about writing books! If you check, you'll find something to help you.

To me, the hardest part is doing the leg work before you write. If you sit down and just start writing, then your story will be one dimensional and possibly confused.

In order to make your characters real and dimensional, they need to have histories. Basically, for all of my main characters and main support characters, I had to sit down and make a "life" for each of them. So I have notes on each character about what they look like, what their personalities are, and what has happened to them up to this point in their lives. Basically, you are creating a person, so they need some history to make them real. The more you do this before you start writing, the better you know your character and the more you can write about them!

Plus, I had to do town histories, town maps, location profiles, etc. It's alot of work to keep everything organized so I don't contradict myself while I'm writing, by I love it!

Maybe you and I can set up a challenge! One chapter a month (rough draft, of course). I'm 2 chapters in thus far...but you could do your research work, etc. first and we could add that into the challange! I could use some motivation. I try to write an hour a day, but with summer upon me, I have been tending not to sit down at the puter to write!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I write daily

I've kept a daily journal for 30+ years. Yeah, there's some stories in there. I won't ever "publish" them but I feel lost without my journal. If I'm stuck somewhere without one, I'll find paper and pen, pencil, charcoal, whatever and write. Ha! I've written with chalk on a sidewalk before! I just remembered that!

Registered User daughter of pearl's Avatar
    I live in an eastern suburb of Toronto in Canada, near Lake Ontario and lots of park land.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

And now for someting completely different...although I have always written poetry (published in various literary journals), lately I am into writing sketch comedy, and possible some stand-up bits...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's interesting!

Are you talking about the sort of writing to where you could someday be a writer for the script of like on comedy shows?

I think that'd be so cool but not the job for me [though I can be funny at times. *lol*]

Love,

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by daughter of pearl View Post
    And now for someting completely different...although I have always written poetry (published in various literary journals), lately I am into writing sketch comedy, and possible some stand-up bits...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What don't I write... I have the beginnings of a humerous novella, an in depth character study, a children's book, a travel guide, and a lot of episodes from my life I could turn into a memoir on everything from my son's ADHD, to my childhood, to my marriage. But I am my own worst enemy. I generally convince myself that it is crap and never finish it. I keep it all on my computer, can never bring myself to trash it, but still, I don't look at it.

Registered User daughter of pearl's Avatar
    I live in an eastern suburb of Toronto in Canada, near Lake Ontario and lots of park land.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

IN my wildest dreams, I'd love to have a sketch comedy troupe...don't know about full-length scripts...for me it is more about getting the laugh for a live audience...am also working up my nerve to do stand-up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast