The Slow Slog.... - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worked on the WIP for two hours yesterday. It was mostly trying to create a story "bible". It's just names of characters so far with a couple of words for quick reference. I do intend to create entries for each of the characters and locations, etc. I picked up small Moleskin journals for that purpose but now I"m thinking I might need a 3-ring binder so I can sort things more easily.

The downside of skimming through what I've written so far is I started tweaking things here and there, rather than putting my effort into continuing the story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Worked on the WIP for two hours again today. Got an early start since I couldn't sleep past my usual wake-up time. I was able to get some new material in. I was thinking of stopping at one point but wanted to get something down before I finished. I'm really enjoying working on it right now. I had thought I wouldn't be able to focus on writing if I worked from home due to other distractions (wanting to watch DVDs or other projects) but I'm actually getting more work done than I normally do at the coffee shop. (Although I do miss going to the coffee shop for the change of perspective and energy.) I'm even able to ignore distracting myself on the internet while writing at home. It's probably because I've been stuck at home during the shutdown and not doing/thinking of other things that might be pulling my attention elsewhere. Don't have much in the way of creative outlets other than home based stuff.

One character (the one I didn't really have fleshed out initially but turns out to be a big secret keeper) threw me another curveball. This time, he's thrown up doubts about his loyal to the MCs. Even I'm not sure how this will turn out at the moment. It's like he insisted on being involved in creating the original situation (the world's apocalypse) and then started getting cagey when I ran with it. He's turning out to be more of a red herring than the actual villain of the story. People want him and now he wants to run away from it all. Oh well. Red herring it is, then. Part of it is I haven't gotten all the MCs (or at least the right ones) together yet in order to get him to stop being so cagey. I think it's more that he's not happy that his secrets are bubbling to the surface at the moment, now that the action of the story is remaining in town, rather than having the MCs going on a quest journey story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thing I realized today is that I didn't really have a tangible villain in my first stab at this story. The MCs were trying to get some information and once they had it was a case of "now what?" I do have an idea of a possible villain (not the red herring character, at least I hope not). I just have to get to the point where the villain shows up. But keeping the story local to the 'town' was a better idea. I have more tools to work with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's a book called Goal, Motivation, and Conflict by Debra Dixon. If you haven't read it, give it a try. I need to read it again myself.

Take some time to write a short synopsis, 10 pages or so. That's your working roadmap. Putting your plot points on index cards to make a story board works, too, but that can be done after working up the synop on computer. Easier to edit.

Also do character bios. Each bio should include character's GMC, both internal and external. All those GMCs are what will drive your plot. Without conflict, there's no story.

I know you're a pantser, and I'm sure you're breaking out in hives just reading this. I struggle with it, too. But it's very important and makes your writing easier in the long run.

I'm not a big fan of writing how-to books, but GMC is a fast read that I think is worthwhile. I see Amazon has it on Kindle, but I prefer the print version so it can be read with a highlighter in hand and have notes made in the margins. Maybe your library has it. Then you could look it over to decide if you think it's worth buying.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I chuckled at the 'breaking out in hives' comment. But thanks for the suggestion of the book. I ordered a hardcopy of it so I can mark it up to my heart's content as needed. If I end up not liking it, I can pass it along to the local library since I bought a used copy. I saw this webpage when I was looking up the book: Goal, Motivation, and Conflict | Pub(lishing) Crawl. Nice, quick explanation and examples so the book sounds like it might be worth the price. And it looks helpful, even for a pantser like me. I'm going to keep writing until I get a chance to read the book. But having an idea of GMC is a good start. Thanks!!

I'm creating a book 'bible' so the character bios can go into there once I start working with the GMCs. Yeah, I know the bios will likely change over time but having the first passes will still be useful if I need to go back and look at them at some point.

Here's a website that looks interesting for writing: Pub(lishing) Crawl I checked out a couple of their posts and they're short but seem good. (I basically just did a quick skim of a couple things.) And the resources section looks like it has a lot of helpful posts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a great explanation of GMC. Too funny about Poseidon and all.

A mistake I've made in the past is not getting to know my antagonist as well as I know my protagonists. The protags are cool people and fun to hang out with. The antags are usually types I have very little interest in spending time with. But I have to understand them in order to figure out their GMCs, which of course have to conflict with with the protags or there's no story.

Doing bio pages and a synop doesn't mean you can't change or add anything as you go along, but if you can get your major plot points down from beginning to end, it can help keep you from going down rabbit holes that have nothing to do with your story, or help you identify holes in your plot before you write 75,000 words, or help you not write yourself into an inescapable corner. Bio pages help with continuity, too. They can help prevent dumb mistakes like your heroine having short dark hair in chap 1 and inexplicably morphing into a long haired blonde in chap 25. Detailed bios are great. I try to keep them updated as I write, so I can remember my character's favorite food or other stuff I'm likely to forget. Timelines are helpful too, so I don't have a character giving birth when she's 7 years old or some other stupid thing that didn't register when I wrote it that messes up the whole plot 15,000 words later. It's also helpful for backstories. It's how I found out my first protags, who didn't meet till their 30s, had lives that paralleled each other from childhood.

Apropos of nothing, here's the hook from the book I'm currently rereading, Savage Run by C.J. Box. I wanna learn to write openings like this!

"On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride Annabel Bellotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up. Until then, their marriage had been happy."

ROFL! How do you not keep reading? Being able to write a great hook is a true gift.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my - that hook is definitely funny!!

Yeah, I've heard that the villain is the hero of his own story many times. I think the problem with this current WIP was that the antagonists were too vague (I was just calling them "the critters") and the focus was on getting the lore from the ground zero site of the apocalypse. Then the muses decided that nope... the town was more important and the whole focus of the story shifted.

I've been doing comments on this story than on any other WIP I've done in the past. The highlighting has been helpful too. I've also starting creating notebooks and now am starting to create the story bible, which I've never done in the past. So I think I"m improving my writing skills. Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, get your antags fleshed out. They are the key to your entire plot.

Writing itself is a WIP. Every writer grows, learns, and improves over time. It's like any other skill, it improves with practice.

I need to get back to writing. I've been obsessed all summer with other projects and probably will be for a while yet. I don't think I'll be able to focus till at least January. My various projects are the distractions I need now, plus there are the usual fall chores to be done. I forgot we have to build a parcel box for UPS before winter and some other stuff, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a few possible antagonists set up, one is more of a red herring (not the secondary character I mentioned before) but another and possibly two are good choices. I can potentially tie them together as well.

As for not writing at the moment, think of it as letting the story ferment in the back of your mind and allowing the muses to chew on it for a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a book on creating character arcs, which as a separate workbook as well. I ordered both of those in the hopes they will be helpful, especially with the antags. Right now, one antag is basically just a teenager going through the brat stage. The one antag I'm thinking of using as the main villain of the story I'm still not too sure of his motivations. On one hand, he was a scholar doing research. On the other hand, he was a bit of a company man who wasn't too sure of the goals of the company he was working for until SHTF and the apocalypse happened. So he decided to side with the 'people' who were more powerful than anyone he ever encountered before. But I'm not to happy about that motivation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - I found a link that you might find interesting. (link wouldn't post.) It's a Tumblr post called "Let's Be Weird Together, It's Less Lonely that Way". It has some good information on world building and mythology and other stuff. Looks like it's mostly for fantasy world building but I'm sure a good portion can be used for other types of fiction.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Started to do some world building using the prompts from the SF/Fantasy worldbuilding site. Sundays will remain primarily writing days so I don't get hung up doing 'prep' or research. On one hand, I might not have started doing this if it weren't for the shutdown and not having distractions like I used to. On the other hand, I miss not being able to do stuff like this in the coffee shop. It's getting too cool to try and sit outside to do this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My copy of GMC came today. It does look like a good read. Now, I'm a bit annoyed that indoor dining is restricted because I would've liked to kick back in a comfy chair at a local coffee shop and read it. Mostly to get out of the house. It's too chilly to sit outside for any length of time.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415