The Slow Slog.... - Page 16
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - I'm pretty sure the antag is going to end up being the project manager from the island, at least for this story. He ties into both the larger Critter situation and the group that initiated the whole situation in the first place. I'm pretty sure his GMC is that he needs to find two minor MCs (his goal) to appease the Critters he's allied himself with (his motivation). But the two MCs are not where he expects them to be and the main MCs have their own magic to be a threat (and have the ability to defend themselves and the mMC the PM wants).

The kids from the caravan are a red herring and have been hired by people remaining from the group who started the whole situation but who may or may not be associated with the Critters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spent two hours on my story today, although I didn't really add anything. There was one scene that I needed to change since I felt it was too early to share the information that I had in it originally. Didn't take it out entirely, just changed it to be more foreshadowing than an actual reveal. I probably would've continued writing but I had other plans just before noon. Still, it felt good to put that much time into it. And I'm thinking about it more often during the week.

Still reading the GMC by Dixon. I think I'm about halfway through it and it definitely has made me think more about character and plot and the relationship between the two. I have a couple of other books I picked up recently that I'll get to next. One's on character arcs. The other's on world building (The A-Zs of Worldbuilding by Rebekah Loper). The worldbuilding book literally goes through the alphabet and uses each letter for individual topics to consider in worldbuilding. That should be an interesting exercise to think about the different pieces. I've been bad about worldbuilding so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't get any writing done today. Spent the morning waiting for my mattress to arrive, although I am happy for next day shipping. I did get a little bit of work done on world building yesterday. Right now I'm going through a list of world building questions/prompts from a world building website. Then I have a worldbuilding workbook that looks really interesting (The A-Z's of Worldbuilding). Each letter is a prompt for a different topic (J = the Judicial System, K = knowledge, M = military, etc.) with further questions to help prompt ideas for each topic. I plan on using the moleskin notebooks when going through that, rather than filling out the notes section of each letter, so I can use it for other WIP's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did get an hour's worth of work done on my writing yesterday. Not much but I did get a few more paragraphs completed. I've been working trying to do some worldbuilding during the week.

I picked up a book called "Plot versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction" by Jeff Gerke a few years back. I started reading it a few days ago. So far it's good and I've learned a few things already. Right now, it's focusing on character (which is good) but I'm looking forward to looking at the plot sections.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a bit of writing done yesterday but not as much as I would've liked. But I'm coming along with reading the Plot vs. Character book. I've learned a few new things and a lot of it makes sense. I've actually come up with a "moment of truth" moment for a few of my characters (the ones I've gotten GMC's for so far) where the character has to make a major decision in the story. Having those will make things a bit easier when writing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you're doing well. I haven't thought about writing in a long time. Too much else going on. Maybe I'll get to NaNo next yr.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never did NaNo. I'm sure it helps some people and a lot of people like doing it.

I've been thinking about my story more during the week than I had been. Now it's a case of getting more time doing the actual writing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

NaNo is good because there's a hard deadline that forces you to focus and do the work. It also gives you something to work with when you're done because you can't edit a blank page. I actually think stream of consciousness writing is helpful for first drafts, as long as you don't allow yourself to go down too many dead ends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, NaNo has a deadline but I'm not sure if I'd keep to it. I have enough deadlines at work that I would probably put the NaNo one off instead. But I try and make sure to stick to writing for at least one hour every Sunday and I'm trying to increase that to at least two hours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got about two hours of writing time in today. I felt really good about it, although some of it was going back and tweaking some things to match new stuff. Between the GMC and the Plot vs. Character books, I think I'm really starting to get to know the characters better. That's starting to make the plot a bit easier to deal with as well. I felt a little bad for stopping when I did but I wanted to pick something up from the bookstore (and get some lunch).

I think I'm going to try and focus on writing either Thanksgiving Day or that Friday since I have a long weekend next week.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516