The Slow Slog.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep up the good work! It is hard to keep motivated when that writing doesn't flow, but it sounds like you have some good strategies for breaking through. Have you been part of the Nanowrimo challenges? I tried it one year, and got a lot of writing done. But usually, November is one of the busiest month of the year at my work, so I haven't been able to repeat it.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. No, I haven't done Nanowrimo. Never really felt the urge to do it. Right now, it's a case of "Butt in Chair" that works for me, even I end up with only a few hundred words each session. That's one of the reasons why I like the Sunday write-in sessions. I have most of the day to both look at the internet and focus on writing.

Eventually, I may try Nanowrimo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've done Nano a couple times. The last time was a huge help in getting most of of a rough draft done that had been vexing me for years. Nothing motivates like a deadline, and with the time constraint, I had no choice but to blast through the hard parts.

My favorite Nano song:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...u80LTTG3xCbWZB

Actually, Errol has a bunch of great Nano song parodies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, that didn't work. Trying again.
    https://youtu.be/FbIZK-UWtyM

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my friend got back into writing and had a short story published in a book of short stories published by goodreads. a fantasy/horror type. has more coming out. so it happens! don't give up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on one of my stories. I've changed Sunday writing spots as the one coffee shop where the writing group used to go to closed on Sundays a few months back. Now it looks like that shop has closed permanently. That's sad because it seemed to be doing a decent amount of business. I think I had heard that they had opened another store somewhere else, though. Oh well, I'm glad I changed sites long before then.

The writing group moved to a small "bakery" (more like a restaurant) at one of the local malls. It was usually too noisy for me. If I do need a group setting, I can always go to the group meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Panera's.

Anyway, I've been having a bit of a writer's block recently but I think worked past that. I've been looking at folklore online and collecting what interests me into notebooks, specifically for this situation. Last night, I started flipping through the folklore notebooks and was like, "yeah, that works". Just have to remember to bring my story notebook to the coffee shop next week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've decided to start my one WIP over from the beginning. I realized it took a totally different turn from where I thought it was going to go initially. Instead of doing a sort of road-trip, the plot demanded it be a 'local' story. I still have the draft I put so much work on, so I can reference what I had before since I want to use some plot points from there. Sigh. I put ~75,000 words into it and now the plot decided to change course. And all because I did some research on some folklore and the muse grabbed hold of it and started cackling in delight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hate when that happens. You have to watch your characters because they like to take over.

I hate when research wrecks a plot, too. My sympathies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, SD. I'm a 'pantser' plotter (plot by seat of my pants) so the plot's not exactly wrecked. The research actually made some of my ideas work better. Now it's just a matter of sitting down and working on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a pantzer too. Sometimes it causes me to write myself into a corner. 😄 I've tried outlines and idea boards and all that and it just doesn't work for me. But that's why rewrites exist. 🙂

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A common statement in writing is "First drafts are always crap." That and "Kill your darlings".

I realized, even as I was writing the first pass that just got scrapped, that even I was questioning the reasons why the characters were doing what they were doing. This time around, the reasoning's better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, it's a process all right.

Just found an e from my writers' group. I really need to look at my e mail more often. Apparently there's some kind of huge controversy going on that I know nothing about. The entire board and all the execs sent out an apology e. Guess I should be more active and keep up, but my mind isn't on writing right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ouch. That must have been something big for an apology email to go out like that. I used to be on a writer's board but I started having log-in/posting issues and I eventually left it. I also started not liking the feel/tone of it as well.

Sigh. It's slow going at the moment. At least I'm getting more work done with the virus having shut most places down for the time being. But I really enjoyed writing at the coffee shop. I got to see people there. Even if I was also getting distracted by the internet more often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been reading the monthly magazines for my writers group so maybe there's something in there about the controversy.

Writers groups can be tricky. I tried one here, yrs ago. This whole town is an art community, so you'd think there would be great support for writers. But they were all interested in literary noveling. I write pop fiction. There was no place for me. It was subtle, but clear. So that was the end of that.

Think of reworking your ms. not as a rewrite, but as a second draft. It's less depressing. Is this your first book? Also, don't think of it as starting over. You already know your characters' backstories, and have done a lot of research. None of that is wasted. Even your first draft is not a waste because you got to know your characters and got a lot of practice writing. First drafts are usually just part of prep work. Most writers do multiple drafts, so imperfect drafts can't be considered a failure. Embrace the idea of sharpening your scalpel and cutting out the excess, those inevitable dead ends our characters like to lead us down that have nothing to do with our plots. Now's your chance to show them who's boss. 🙂

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about the literary 'snobbery' in your town, SD.

Yeah, I'm thinking of this as a second draft and it's definitely a reworking. I do like a good portion of the first draft but it was too meandering and raised too many questions, even for me. The biggest one at the start was why one of the MC's would trust people he just met with such a big secret. Then there's another MC who decides to join the group far too easily. The way I'm starting now, these two MCs start off working together and join up with the others based on the second MC's established connection with the others.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast