The Slow Slog.... - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My characters seem to tell me things when I need to know them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear you about the characters telling things when they want to you need to know them. A couple of characters that were going to be one-offs who later insisted on being more involved. One was even supposed to phone it in but noooo! He wanted to be front and center and part of the action!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a FB page for the Thomas Crane Library (not sure where it's located off the top of my head). They've been hosting webinars. Today (May 26th), they had/are having a webinar on "Documenting an Ancestor". Although the Great Courses has a course on Genealogy and researching Ancestors. http://thomascranelibrary.org/sites/...n_Ancestor.pdf

I'm getting more into these type of webinars (I also saw one on colonial cooking/preservation recently).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL! Oh, yeah, they can be pushy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a short outline about how plot a mystery novel. They make it sound so easy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, they usually do. But you know what they also say... Practice, practice, practice..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So true. No time to write today, but I spent lots of time thinking about writing. Which IS actually writing, come to think of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some folklore research in this evening. I hope by letting it stew a bit, I'll be able to work it into one of my WIPs. I think being able to do the research and write at home has helped keep the ideas fresh in my mind. I keep meaning to do some research when I'm in the coffee shop but I keep getting distracted. And sometimes I forget to bring my research notes with me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A soft briefcase might be useful for you, something big enough for your laptop in one section, and all the other supplies you need in the rest of it. Then you wouldn't forget stuff. Or keep a checklist with your laptop so you can fetch everything before you leave. I'm a big fan of lists, too.

I love my bags because I keep everything I need in them, like a mini office. That's because I have to commute all the way across the yard, so don't want to run back and forth to my office for red pens or highlighters or little stuff like that. Love having it all in one compact spot. I used to swap mss. in and out of the same bag, but Iike the idea of a bag for each project now. It should be easier to keep everything organized and not get assorted pieces of paper all mixed up. Since I have the bags, might as well try this idea out. I've gotten most of my bags cheap at thrifts and garage sales.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do have a bag for my laptop but my notes and stuff is getting a bit much for the bag. I do need to take some stuff out of the bag but I like having a separate bag for just notes so I can leave my laptop in the trunk of my car while I pull out the notes to work on when I'm not writing. Especially if I'm writing in my apartment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Makes sense. Maybe you need a laptop case plus a bag for everything else. On wheels. Mss. plus laptop and other assorted crap gets to be heavy. You know I love Magna Carts! Very handy and fold to nothing. Leave cart and laptop in car, carry bag with ms. into house. I will need a similar arrangement, because I don't plan to haul my laptop to my office that often.

I'm trying to decide which novel I want to read for autodidactical writing purposes. Something by John Sandford for mystery/thrillers, I think. And a series romance for the line I'm targetting. Lots to do. It'll give me something else to think about while my arm hurts and my state falls apart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep my mss on a flash drive so I can take it multiple places and use it on different computers. Yeah, bags can get heavy.

I need to get back to reading again for writing purposes as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I use flash drives most of the time too. But I print stuff for proofing and editing. I see stuff on hard copies I don't pick up on with a screen, and it's not as tiring.

Just read chapter one of a romance and took notes. The author sure knows how to cram a lot of detail into few words, without it seeming like an info dump. I have much to learn.

Also found 2 more critiques from the contest I entered. More good advice. Consensus seemed to be the judges liked my characters, style, and hook but not some of the premise. Overall it's positive, and I tend to agree with most of the negatives, so will fix them. I'm going to work on the biker story for Harl and see if I can get it ready for submission over the next yr, maybe less. The mystery series is a massive project and I need to start smaller. That's why I have to learn to switch between projects, but the pacing is so different between shorter and longer stories it messes things up for me. I'm going to try working on Biker in total, while also doing a detailed synop/outline for the first mystery. That should give me an idea if I can handle both at once. And some practice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, proofing and editing on a hard copy is a lot easier. I've heard people remember/learn easier when they physically write something than typing it into a document.

Good luck on getting your story ready for submission. I help with submitting scientific journal articles as well as some general editing on other documents at work so I do know somewhat about preparing for submissions and the need to edit based on reviewers' remarks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard that too, about remembering and learning better from writing vs. typing.

Your job sounds interesting.

I'm still reading the romance. I'm starting to remember why I dislike series romance novels. Oh, well, it's still teaching me things to read it. I need a refresher on pacing and writing tight, and the author does well with both.

I'm looking into taking online classes through U of M Bemidji. Tuition is deeply discounted for seniors, like $20/credit. Not sure that's a current price, but I've looked into it before and it'svery cheap. I'm trying to figure out what they offer for creative writing courses, and I'd like to pick up my Indian studies again. My credits will transfer to Bemidji because that school is partnered with our local community college I attended 20 yrs ago, if that wasn't too long ago. I'm also going to look into UMD in Duluth. Heck, I could take classes at any college in the state. Suddenly I have lots of open doors for continuing my education. Maybe. Research to do! What college? What classes? How many? Work for a degree or not? (That would limit me to Bemidji, I think.) So many questions. I'm not sure colleges know what they're doing yet for fall, with C19 and all. I would expect lots more online options though. A tiny bright spot in covid hell.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast