The Slow Slog....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The Slow Slog....

I've been trying to write an Urban Fantasy story for a while but for some reason I've just set it aside. Well, not entirely but I haven't applied BIC (Butt in Chair) too much lately. Sheer laziness, mostly. However, I'm slowly working my way back to it. I've found that I'm starting to think of writing out scenes of things totally unrelated to this story. However, this is a good thing because I'm getting back into my writing mode again.

Now if only I could figure out the middle of my current WIP so I can finish it. Right now, it's mostly dialogue and not much action. Then again, it's only the first draft so I'm not too worried about fleshing it out. That's what's second drafts are for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Keep it up

Keep it up.
    Jenny

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on my WIP. I've put a bit more work into it. I found another writer's group which I think is helping a lot more than my old one. Not that my old one was bad. It just didn't have the focus I needed. This new group is not only one that shares my interest (sci-fi/fantasy) but we mostly get together to work on writing the stories, not just critiquing what we already have. This gives me the motivation to work on it since I'm with others who are doing the same thing. That and I can look up and say "hey, I got X scene and I'm not sure what I want to do with it" and get instant responses.

That and I'm going to the library more often since I realized I find it too easy to distract myself at home with other projects.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep reading, and read as a writer, not just a reader. Look at how other writers handle the middles.

When in doubt, throw more conflict at your protagonist to add some action and more drama to keep the pace moving along and reader interest up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well done

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. Spirit Deer, I have been reading but unfortunately, most of it has been sort of "research", rather than genre. Which is also necessary. Fortunately, I've found Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series which has gotten me back into reading genre.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Careful not to get bogged down in research. LOL. I have to fight that myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL - so true. I find that I have more books for 'research' than general reading materials. One thing I think is funny is that I was re-reading a series I like and I tend to notice how much effort the author put into the menu of the main characters. Ok, one of the main characters is a noble but still, she still puts a lot of effort into what the MC's ate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still slogging away on my WIP's. I currently have two WIP. I alternate between them so that when I get slogged down in one, I switch to the other to work on. Right now, I'm working on the post-apocalyptic fantasy WIP and the plot's finally coming together. I need to re-work what I have so far a bit but once that's done, I'm hoping it goes more smoothly.

One thing that's helped is making writing at the coffee shop once a week (for now) a habit. I go on the weekend so that I can go on the internet but still have time to do work as well.

I think the Great Courses lecture DVD's I've picked up have also helped, if only for prompts and ideas. Of course, I do have a couple of notebooks to jot notes into, when I think of something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

cool I love reading but not a writer at all so appreciate those who do

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am not writer, but like to read. I have noticed that the food thing seems to be a trend in books now. I have read a lot of books where the food is described in great detail. It is almost always done in such a way as to make the food seem especially delicious. Sometimes great emphasis is given to the preparation of the food as well.

Sometimes this is a major part of the story, with the main character owning or working in a restaurant or bakery. Of course the character is probably also solving mysteries, fighting monsters, having hot and steamy romances - or all three. It is almost a subgenre in romance and cozy mysteries. I have also seen it in fantasy and anime/manga. Google cupcake romance and a lot of books will pop up. The same with cupcake mystery.

There are a lot in anime/manga. I could fill pages, but I will just give you one of the most out there ones: Giant Spider and Me. In a post apocalyptic world, a girl befriends a giant spider like creature. And she cooks and bakes. Every chapter has a new dish - with a recipe included. Sometimes people will try to attack her giant spider friend, but mostly it is about cooking and baking. With bits on farming and restoring an old ship to be floating cafe.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That anime sounds like fun, Kathy.

I don't mind having the food described in detail when it's a major part of the story, such as in the way you describe (characters owning/working in the food industry). It's when the main focus of the story is not food industry oriented or has no characters involved in food prep that I find it a distraction. For example, I tried reading The Discovery of Witches and it seemed that most of the first half of the book seemed extremely focused on what the two MC's are eating/drinking than anything else. Or exercising. It's like "oh, look they're drinking/eating/exercising again", rather than pushing the story forward. It seemed like the author was showing off her own knowledge of wine.

On the other hand, The Discovery of Witches was a long book and the female MC was very much a Mary Sue. I might watch an episode of the TV adaptation to see if it's better. I found the Twilight movies better than the books but still didn't like the series in either form.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I am not writer, but like to read. I have noticed that the food thing seems to be a trend in books now. I have read a lot of books where the food is described in great detail. It is almost always done in such a way as to make the food seem especially delicious. Sometimes great emphasis is given to the preparation of the food as well.

Sometimes this is a major part of the story, with the main character owning or working in a restaurant or bakery. Of course the character is probably also solving mysteries, fighting monsters, having hot and steamy romances - or all three. It is almost a subgenre in romance and cozy mysteries. I have also seen it in fantasy and anime/manga. Google cupcake romance and a lot of books will pop up. The same with cupcake mystery.

There are a lot in anime/manga. I could fill pages, but I will just give you one of the most out there ones: Giant Spider and Me. In a post apocalyptic world, a girl befriends a giant spider like creature. And she cooks and bakes. Every chapter has a new dish - with a recipe included. Sometimes people will try to attack her giant spider friend, but mostly it is about cooking and baking. With bits on farming and restoring an old ship to be floating cafe.
    I think that is a great story. my kids would love it. would make my son feel better about spiders for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still slogging away on one of my WIP. Still 'editing' the stuff I've already written but I'm feeling better about where the plot's going. Having the notebooks is helpful. I can jot ideas and useful information in one place as they come up. I've started keeping one notebook for each story since they're not set in the same 'world'/setting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally through 'editing' the stuff I already wrote, tightening up the plot a bit. Now I'm onto new work. I've done a couple of pages worth in the past week. I think I'll go to both the Sunday write-in and one of the week write-ins. The week-day write-ins are good because there are other people there. It's helpful to have that working vibe going as well as the chance to brainstorm if needed. The Sunday write-in are good for chugging along for a few hours (and puttering around).

I have two notebooks on various folklore done and am working on a third. I plan on using these as sort of prompts to keep me going as well as a quick reference if I do using something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast