Are many frugal ladies out there writers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Are many frugal ladies out there writers?

Hi,

This forum doesn't seem to get many posts. I was wondering if there are many of you out there who write for fun, as a hobby, or for work.

I have been writing since I was very young, journaling, stories, and poetry but I have never submitted any of my writing or participated in competitions. This weekend I bought a few writer magazines from Barnes and Noble and decided to do something with this passion.

Have any of you published your work or joined competitions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What kind of writing do you like to do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've had several articles published for nursing, for frugal tips, etc.

My daughter has had many poems published and various places have purchased her photos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I write for fun but have had a short story and a poem published in college journals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Writing practically IS my job and always will be if I continue to be an academic. Essays, research reports, paper, presentations, articles, etc. Writing, and especially academic writing, has always been one of my strengths.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wrote a lot in college, but I also do creative writing and keep a journal. I have never tried to publish anything. Most of my stories are short, or I get a few chapters into a "potential book" and stop writing. I keep telling myself to look into how to get published, but I don't know where to start. BlackstoneMama what kind of writer magazines did you find at Barnes and Noble? I have been feeling like I need to more with my love of writing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I write a lot for pleasure. I'd like to be published someday, but I don't know if I'll ever have enough drive to get that far. I've written, fantasy, fiction, erotica, historical, non-fiction, modern fiction, crime dramas, television shows, etc. -- just about anything you could try. Nothing has ever come of it, and I don't even know if I've ever tried to publish anything. But I would like to eventually. I actually have an idea I'm working on now for a fantasy novel -- my favorite type to write -- that I think could be pretty good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have two published magazine articles to my credit - one in Birdwatcher's Digest, and one in a medical newsletter (Pediatrics for Parents). I have another larger personal experience essay out for consideration with a BIG mag so I don't want to jinx it, lol.

I have only written three times for publication, so if this last one gets accepted I will still be batting .1000.

Crossed fingers and toes.............

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

............NO WAY TO EDIT.................

That should read "batting 1.000".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have written a Ph. D. thesis if that counts (> 200 pages). I have a number scientific articles and reviews that have been published. I like making up stories for my girls and think there are a couple I think I should put in book form. In my journals I have written poetry and several other things, but never really looked into getting them published. I hope to get back to some writing and actually try to publish the non-scientific stuff!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Similar to acidcookie, I've written tons of academic stuff. My thesis is probably the longest academic work I've written (114 pages so far), and once my papers are accepted for journal publication, I'll have two published pieces to my name. Other than that, I've been writing fiction since I was 16. Several stories are still in progress...the one I'm working on right now is Part 2 of a larger story and is 180 pages so far.

mom2three, if you don't mind me asking, which area of study did you do your PhD. on?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Only for college and for work (tech stuff), but I dream alot about writing a novel - and then I chicken out. I'm not chicken about very many things, so this is surprising, but I actually get sweaty hands, shakes, nausea, and all sorts of stress reactions when I seriously start to try to DO something about this. I can do public speaking, planned or unplanned, in front of groups from 5 to 5000 and never break a sweat, but putting pen to paper (or more likely fingers to keyboard) knocks me out. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My official Ph. D. is in Chemistry. I am actually a biochemist. I went to part-time studies for a few years while working full time managing an analytical services/research lab. Currently, it appears I am studying for a degree in mommyhood! Aheek and acidcookie - what are you studying/researching?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
    Aheek and acidcookie - what are you studying/researching?
    I am getting my Ph.D. in Mass Communications. I study the effects of media and lately am leaning towards Computer Mediated Communication. I'm also a huge methodology and statistics nerd.

Ani
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did a lot of technical writing and publishing in university, and I write a lot for my job now, but I haven't really had anything published outside of those realms.

My mom had a column in a newspaper for a few years called "Confessions of a Crazed Housewife." I seem to have inherited her talent for column-writing, quick little witty dialogues etc. I may try to do something with that at some point. Not too sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast