Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I notice that some people stock the # 10 cans.

So I am thinking....once you open one....then what do you
do with the balance of the contents ?

Even when the kids were growing up, I don't remember
buying any of these big cans. Wondering if they would
be feasible for smaller households.

Any tips, hints ?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Are those the tall cans, like you get pineapple juice in?

Depending on what the contents are, I suppose you could freeze the excess or use them to make OAMC meals.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are those the tall cans, like you get pineapple juice in?

Depending on what the contents are, I suppose you could freeze the excess or use them to make OAMC meals.
The # 10 are bigger than that. I used to do food service work.

I thought about freezing. Just trying to decide if I want to
push the pencil and see if they would be cheaper for a few items.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I've only just begun to buy the #10 cans..I bought the powered milk,powered butter,small can (to see if I/we like them) of dehydrated blueberrie's & raspberry's...I opened a #10 can of powered milk today and I will continue to use that can every couple days as needed until it's gone..I figured once I open the fruits I will store the remaining in quart jars w/0'2 absorbers..Have you watched any of the video's from Tammy on the dehydrate2store on youtube or her own site? you will learn alot from her I think..HTH..

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
So are they like gallon size?

I would think stuff like peas or soft foods probably wouldn't freeze well. (Just guessing here.) Corn and firmer foods would probably do better. What kinds of things typically come in them?

I guess for the two of us I would get irritated having to deal with stuff that I couldn't use up fairly rapidly, or that wouldn't keep a long time. We do buy some things in bulk sizes but it's stuff like olives and pickles and gallon jugs of lime juice that will keep a very long time in the fridge without a problem.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, gallon size or a wee bigger.

Only thing I can think of that we would use that I could freeze, would be like spaghetti sauce, and maybe pudding.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only just begun to buy the #10 cans..I bought the powered milk,powered butter,small can (to see if I/we like them) of dehydrated blueberrie's & raspberry's...I opened a #10 can of powered milk today and I will continue to use that can every couple days as needed until it's gone..I figured once I open the fruits I will store the remaining in quart jars w/0'2 absorbers..Have you watched any of the video's from Tammy on the dehydrate2store on youtube or her own site? you will learn alot from her I think..HTH..
I think fruit would be manageable for here.

No on watching any videos yet.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You and me both on the pudding :)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
We used to buy ketchup this way - any type of tomato product really. And freeze the excess in ziplocks. (Who are we kidding, with four kids, the ketchup got used up pretty darned fast - I sometimes think they DRANK it)

·
Registered
217 Posts
marycarney lol- my kds are the same way with a1 and heinz 57... last night dd came walking out of the kitchen she had a small container (.5 oz) half full of H57 and a piece of bread...she dips, and has since she was little so I ration out both kids 'dippin'.

love the d2store- want shelves like she has for her mason jars. I finally 'found' my jar sealer attachment for my FS- oh people if you have a fs and it has the ability to use the jar sealer buy both sizes you'll save so much money on lost foods. (im on the look out for a wide mouth one).

if you live w/in driving distance (sadly I'm too far to drive) of a LSD cannery you can utilize their cannery- IF you know someone in the community who can invite you. google it- one of my friends was telling me "if you lived here, I'd set you up''.
right now I just do not have the space for storing #10's I so want H#3 :)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I do buy them occasionally. A #10 can of fruit can be wiped out in a day. I bought pudding in a #10 can and it lasted a few days (only because it was rationed). Jalapenos and ketchup are also bought in #10 cans. I also buy refried beans in #10 cans and then freeze the excess. Occasionally, I buy salsa in #10 cans.

Side note:
I am attempting to fill three teen boys' empty legs and whatever other body parts are empty at that moment.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'm sorry that I miss understood your question LTD..I wasn't thinking of the #10 can's that you can buy from a place like Samsclub..I was thinking of the dehydrated food...even the size of my family I wouldn't be able to use those huge cans..

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Yipes! We had to buy Heinz 57 the other day and it was about $6 for the bottle. I can't imagine buying it for people who dunk stuff in it on a routine basis. Can you thin it with water or mix it with catsup or something? We buy a big bottle about every two years.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I buy the 50 pound bags of grains or dried foods and do dry pack canning in the #10 cans. When I open one of wheat ( for example) I will grind it all into flour and then store in my fridge. The beans/legumes I transfer to another container until I finish using it up. I have done this for years. We started out with 7 of us here and slowly we are dwindling down. Soon there will be just the 2 of us here, but I will continue to do this.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I buy the gallons from sams club. I get all the veggies, fruits, ketchup things like that. We eat alot of veggies with meals so a gallon doesnt last long!

·
Registered
217 Posts
sp-I buy one bottle of each (only on sale-$2.98 or less) once a month so they portion out themselves..... when it's gone it's gone. I tried watering down.... not good.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Bent, I wish we could get Heinz 57 on sale here. It's NEVER on sale. Luckily we don't use much.

Here's a good recipe, which if you make it, will enable you to burn through a bottle even faster. :D

Quick Skillet 57
1 lb. hamburger
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 c. water
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 c. 57 sauce
1 c. uncooked macaroni
Brown beef with onion and drain. Stir in remaining ingredients, mix well. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and simmer uncovered 15-29 minutes, stirring occasionally, till macaroni is tender. Three c. egg noodles may be subbed for macaroni. Decrease cooking time by 5-10 minutes.

Feel free to sub any kind of barbecue sauce or steak sauce you like instead of the Heinz 57, if you want to try different flavors. A can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed, could also be added to stretch the meat, or eliminate it altogether.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion. :D

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
this might not be acceptable to some, but we use 'generic' catsup and after using it once or twice, I can't tell the difference. I'm being very honest here. I CANNOT tell the difference. The difference in price is staggering, and the ingredients list isn't scary. Of course if you need the sugar free or whatever, you have to get Heinz I think.

I have often wondered about the #10 cans as well. My dad bought a #10 can of catsup once (I think it was Heinz actually) and we all had great fun watching him pour it all over the kitchen counter trying to decant it into containers for storage. He never did that again!! (A funnel would have been sufficient - so I'm not saying this is a reason not to get it - just that it was hilarious.)

With just two of us, I think the risk of spoilage is far too great. I used to have a friend buy me Greek stuffed grape leaves from NYC when I lived alone in the US. They were in a #10 can. I basically had to eat them 2 meals/day for about 15 days and the last few days, I was nervous about them. It's just not realistic if it's something that can't be frozen, I think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts