Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 Cheap & Healthy Groceries to Buy When You're on a Budget | EatingWell

A lot of these are good choices but there is no way I'd suggest chocolate to someone on a tight budget as a "healthy" option. Yes, it has antioxidants, but so do a lot of foods that are much better for you, like kale, tomatoes, spinach and beets. And $2 worth of veggies will go a lot farther than $2 of candy.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
yes depending where you are. better to get something else then chocolate. or if you have the sweet tooth some sugar. put on oatmeal etc. or oatmeal packs. frozen mixed veggies are good too. bag of potatoes. just had a flyer from a good cheap store and it was all good deals on bulk amounts of potatoes, carrots, onions because case lot sale week. plus lots of other good basics. canned beans, tomatoes etc.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I agree with most of the items as being cheap, but dark chocolate and greek yogurt are pretty darn pricey. I think all yogurt is pricey, really. I used to eat it but my triglycerides went up tremendously and I was given a list of what not to eat. Dairy was on the list, so I don't partake of it much. Also, chocolate raises cholesterol and I believe it's the milk chocolate kind. Weird, eh?

·
Registered
548 Posts
heck ya on the coffee!!! I ask for 1lb of good coffee when someone asks what I want for a gift. Just got one in the mail as a thank you (which, since I am from the midwest, means I have to send them a thank you for the thank you...it will eventually peter out when we get down to post cards thanking for the real cards)

I like peanut butter as well, but the last few years, I end up eating the whole jar in 2 days so it's not thrifty. I just over eat it. I'm on a peanutbutter break.

I got a small pressure canner as a gift and am tempted to try canning dry beans for the convenience factor...they would be cooked up and ready just like the precanned stuff. Something to do in the winter when the woodstove is going maybe?

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
I've done that, Maggie. We avoid added salt that way. Still looking for a good chili bean recipe for canning.

I got my small canner for $2 at GW. It was missing the pressure weight, but I had a spare that was included with my big canner which I got at a garage sale, also for $2. Accidentally included, I'm sure, because the big canner uses a different weight. I love my little canner. It's handy. Gotta love secondhand shopping.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peanut butter is still one of the cheaper proteins you can buy. DH likes it so I keep a few jars for him. You can get it with less sugar in certain brands.

I keep canned beans on hand for quick meals. I love slow cooked Boston baked beans, but I'm not going to do that every time we have hot dogs. Likewise, I'm not going to spend hours with the stove on to make a bean salad during the summer.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I use dry beans mostly, but I do use canned as well.

I notice that a lot of cooking I see online focuses on food that can be made relatively quickly. It makes sense. If people work full time, they want food that doesn't take hours to get ready after they get home.

I wonder if this will start to change with more people teleworking full or part time on a permanent basis. It opens up the possibility for more slow cooking foods. When you are at home, you can have things going in the crock pot, soup simmering on the stove, things in the oven, etc.

It may be just me, but working from home has changed how I think about things in many ways. I feel more relaxed and slow in a good way. For example, there is no longer a big rush to get food on the table as soon as we get home. I eat breakfast at a slower, more relaxed pace.

·
Registered
29 Posts
While dry beans are cheaper, canned ones are still fairly inexpensive. When I have time and energy, I like to make a batch of beans and then freeze them in "can sized" portions. I don't do this as often as I used to before the stepkids moved in because they are QUITE anti-bean (or at least 2 of them are). Half of the family still enjoys eating them though, so I still have beans on hand for things like chili or bean dip or minestrone.

When I don't have the time or energy to batch cook dry beans, the canned ones are nice to have on the shelf and still save me money. A can of white cannellini beans in a can of minestrone soup adds cheap protein.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
yes and they go on sale quite often here. $1 or .99 a can which is using a couple cups. good for most meals. I like black beans for stretching stuff like tacos or making crockpot black bean chili. plus most people seem to like them and don't upset people's systems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts