Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I can wait 6 months in between washing my jeans, but the other tips for keeping clothes are good, and the suggestions for produce are sensible, too:
10 tips for making your stuff last longer

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Some good tips.........I have been horrible at saving my celery this year.

Not sure about that not washing the clothes thing........that is a long time.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
It's not washing jeans, it's drying them...that is way worse. I happen to like clean clothes and that includes jean material. :)

But, yeah, the produce tips works. :)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i sweat when i teach so i have to launder the clothes everyday. i have found that washing the jeans inside out keeps them nice.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I soak my dark or bright coloured clothes in diluted vinegar before my first wear. After the soak I rinse them in cold water and hang to dry. This procedure will fix the colours to the fabric.

Reactions: mamamia

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not sure I could wait 6 months for the Jeans. By then thy could walk themselves to the washer :)

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Eeeeeew on the jeans.
Ditto. :ack:

Besides, I like my jeans to look/feel old. I don't buy super-expensive jeans anyway. Mom-jeans from WM do me just fine.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
the sniff test??? are they nuts? dirty is dirty. wash it!! crazy!

i do line dry alot of my clothing as it saves them. the dryer breaks down the fabrics quickly (even on expensive items). i line dry then throw a few items in the dryer on air fluff w/ 1/3 of a dryer sheet and wala...

i wash my bra's by hand in dreft and air dry. makes them last alot longer (at least 1-1/2 yrs) same goes for any spanx or other "body armor" (as i call it!)

i like good quality denim. once i purchase them, i wash in vinegar and hang to dry. then in dryer for a bit on air fluff. then off to the tailors so they fit perfect. then i wear them usually 2 - 3 times then wash inside out w/ minimal detergent and vinegar rinse and hang to dry.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I generally wear my jeans and khakis for my entire 4-day work week. I'll do the same with hoodies that I wear around the house, as well as either nighttime shorts or pajama bottoms. Other than that, everything gets washed after one wear.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I wear pants a couple times before washing, as long as they still appear clean and aren't to wrinkled. I could never imagine more than that though. 6 months turns my stomach.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Some good tips.........I have been horrible at saving my celery this year.

QUOTE]

Martha Stewart mentioned on her show one time that the best celery "saver" is so simply wrap well in foil. And it really does it, and for weeks too.

Also, wrap your well dried off lettuce and stemmed strawberries in paper towels. We all know how fast those items "turn". And I also found that separating bananas from the stem seems to help them last longer too.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The wine section was really lame. Sorry, but that article did nothing for me. I feel like the person copy/pasted tips from random sites. It just didn't flow and the person didn't seem to know first-hand about any of it themselves.

I've gotten better advice from people on this site. Maybe they copied and pasted from this forum. :toothy:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The wine section was really lame. Sorry, but that article did nothing for me. I feel like the person copy/pasted tips from random sites. It just didn't flow and the person didn't seem to know first-hand about any of it themselves.
This is typical for a good chunk of the internet, regardless of topic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm used to these types of articles being the same old, same old, but this actually had some good new information. Not least of all is the jeans thing. I think that's a bit too hard core for me, but I do agree that washing after every wear is a little excessive. I mean, c'mon, it's not like I've got oozing pustules on my legs or anything. This tip reminds me of the hairdressers that tell you should only wash your hair once a week MAX and should only use a dime-sized squirt of conditioner. Gimme a break. I have a feeling that while 90% of experts say these things, only 1% actually do them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts