Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have plenty of threads on how we are saving money....come on...try as we might...we're not perfect...(don't worry..i won't tell the outside world..)...:monke:

what are 10 ways that you seem to consistantly blow money but wish you didn't....

1) candy--(needs no further explanation)
2) trisquits & wheat thins (even if they are only $1)
3) food going bad in the fridge (only rarely-but does happen)
4) freezer burn on frozen food coz its been there too long
5) excessive cat treats (there can never be enough for my boys)
6) i love hot baths way more than showers
7) my electric blanket obsession
8) not walking enough for errands in my very small town
9) paying interest (although we just have real estate now)
10) dh--(needs no further explanation)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
We recently received a big check to repair our roof & replace and clean inside ceilings and clean carpets in our home.

My dh needs a truck for work really bad.......I keep mentioning that "we have that check". Seems to be burning a whole in my pocket even though he keeps saying "That money's for the roof" and "I'll manage".

I hate big checks!:traffic: They burn 10 holes in my pockets, lol.

I know that's only (1) way but it's my biggest. We should get a tax refund....there will be another burn! LOL

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When I have cash, I spend it on coffee without even a second thought! Something about driving through makes it not "register" in my mind.

So here is my list:
1. Iced Latte
2. Latte
3. Vanilla Iced Latte
4. Vanilla Latte

Reactions: Mom2-3

·
Registered
719 Posts
1) Coffee, I really don't need it...just want it, esp. the $1 McDonalds variety
2) Canned cat food, he BEGS for it, but I know he needs it even less than I need coffee....
3) Rum..not in an alcoholic type of way, but I consistanly buy it once a month or so, and we consistantly drink it each weekend..
4) Fast Food, it happens to us about once a week
5) Garlic, why oh why do I buy so much fresh garlic? It never fails, it's on sale and I think I need 3 whole bulbs, but do I ? NO
6) Frozen skillet dinners, OK so usually they are BOGO and I have a coupon for $1 or $2 off but still....waste of money
7) Clothes, my biggest weakness, though I've been very good lately

Ok so I can't think of anything else, though I'm sure there are others...

·
Registered
469 Posts
What a fun post. . .
-Lottery tickets at work (the one week I don't buy one with the group, THAT will be when they win 38 million dollars and I'll be WAY sad!)
-Petsmart (treats for my dogs, parrots, and fish)
-Sonic Diet 7up with good "fluffy" ice and peach syrup (half-price happy hour makes it hard to resist)
-Bookstore (I just have to stay out of them and go to the library)

·
Registered
268 Posts
1) candy--(needs no further explanation)
4) freezer burn on frozen food coz its been there 1)too long
7) my electric blanket obsession
1) Standing beside you on the candy thing...
FYI on the freezer burn issue, I had some boneless chicken that I thawed, cut into bite sized pieces and cooked in Cream of mushroom soup and a tad oinion soup mix. Not too bad.
Electric blanket? Well me too but since the temp in the BR is about 55 I figure that I am saving oil.
2, 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9)Guess my biggest splurge/waste is quilting items.

piney

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
1) Eating out. I will find the most ridiculous reasons to celebrate so I can justify it to myself.

2) Pet items. Some of this has been curbed by my pet's allergies so I no longer buy all the dog treats, bones, etc. but there is still plenty to splurge on.

3) Stuff for my daughter. Whether items or outings or just her favorite eating out place. She has a bad day, I'm all over it.

4) Coffee but I believe I have that curbed now.

5) Books but never new so I justify it saying they aren't new. I turned my spare bedroom into a library, which of course feeds the urge.

6) Heat. I love love love the house to be extra warm. I have pets that require extra heating but instead of getting them their own unit I prefer to heat the whole house. I have a waterbed cranked up as well. I am always wanting the latest cute blanket from Target, etc.

There's more, but the hole I've just realized the money is burning through my pocket has created a draft. I'd best stop now or I'll have to turn up the heat some more.

·
Registered
867 Posts
TigerGirl! I could have written that post!! I'm the same way:D

If I have cash, I'm going through the drive through at Starbucks, McDonald's or Sonic for a coffee. If I have to use my debit/credit card, I will only go once per week.

Strange but true. Cash only doesn't work for me.:confused:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Burning hole..., BUT working hard to correct:
1. eating out 3 to 4 times a week - not anymore, except for planned special occasions
2. food goes bad because eating out too much - this should be corrected by eating out less
3. kitchen gadgets - must stay away from that aisle
4. romance stories - cancelled subscription long time ago, but still bought them monthly. I only buy new releases of my 2 favourite authors-about 4 each quarter.
5. beer - this is a hard one, I like beer, not alcoholic, but just like a beer or two w/ dinner
6. shoes - I LLLUUUVVVV shoes. Just stop going to shoe dept, then I'll be fine.
7. perfume - now I limit my daily use, for my birthday, I shall give out BIG hints about which is my favourite one.

I think that's it, for now... hope there is nothing else

·
Registered
414 Posts
* Beer
* organic food
* lunch out (no more than once a week but still)
* fast food (once in awhile I justify this due to being busy)
* health food store purchases
* gifts (I'm a sucker for bdays and holidays)

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Strange but true. Cash only doesn't work for me.:confused:
I can't do cash either, I spend way more than I do with cards. I'm a numbers girl - my account balances have a concrete meaning for me, they are real and I don't like to see them move in the wrong direction. Cash is just this tempting little doughnut/iced coffee/hamburger in my pocket that has already been subtracted from my "real" money and no longer matters.

My (our) biggest money burners:
1) McDonald's
2) electronics
3) pop
4) beer
5) pizza
6) chips
7) baby spinach that I never eat

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
1. Fast food.....being in the car during work makes for easy drive thru

2. amazon...mainly books, but any quirky thing I have in my head that I need can be found there lol

3. 2 teenagers that are very active in sports/clubs

4. grocery shopping without a list

Those are my main budget busters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Rowdy, I absolutely love your black lab! What a cutie! My black lab is very spoiled and plays the role of the little princess in our house!

Okay, here are the ways money burns a hole in my pocket:

1. Lattes at Starbucks
2. Treats for Macy the princess
3. Candy
4. Books (I'm trying to use the library more)
5. Lipstick
6. Skincare products
7. Magazines
8. Purses
9. Clothes
10. Costume jewelry

Of course, all of the above has more or less been put on hold for the last year, except for Macy's treats, due to the crappy economy. Most of the money I spent on these items now goes to help support two of my adult kids who are really struggling right now. Basically, I'm just trying to enjoy what I have instead of buying more stuff.

·
19,119 Posts
1. Page dividers - always think I need more for three hole binders, really have enough for a lifetime
2. Buying too many veggies in hopes of eating more
3. Gifts - I love giving gifts to others

That's all that I can think of now, but I know there are others!!

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Well...if you promise not to tell... ;)

I loooooooooove DQ Blizzards!! Dang, they cost too much!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can't do cash either, I spend way more than I do with cards. I'm a numbers girl - my account balances have a concrete meaning for me, they are real and I don't like to see them move in the wrong direction. Cash is just this tempting little doughnut/iced coffee/hamburger in my pocket that has already been subtracted from my "real" money and no longer matters.
I can totally relate to that! I see cash as if it is "money already spent" too. I focus on my bank account balance that I check online nearly daily...so if the money is actually in my wallet, it's already "gone". :)

Reactions: Mom2-3

·
Registered
904 Posts
I only have one weakness.

I need a new washer, but its still half way working so I have no intentions on buying a new one until it completely dies. My TV is over 10 years old and was bought refurbished then. It's way too small for my living room, but that dosen't bother me enough to buy a new one. Cat dosen't get treats other than the water from a can of Tuna that I open.

My one weakness is Food. I love food. I can be eating and while I am eating be thinking of what I am going to eat next. I love all candy. Can't wait to try something new. I will gladly cook 5 meals a day and invite anyone and everyone in my house to break bread.

In with food is tools to prepare food. I have pretty much all of the kitchen tools you can think of, and the ones I don't have are on the list to get. I can look at a very expensive item and know that I would only use it once or twice and still be perfectly happy buying it. If I have a tool but see a better one, either with more options or a better brand name I will gladly buy it.

I have hundreds of pieces of cast iron including a few pieces of Le Crueset coated cast Iron. Guess what I told BF I wanted for Valentines day? A new bigger Le Crueset pot.

When I go on vacation I am perfectly happy staying in the hotel, but you better bet I am going to get a souvenir at the nearest outlet store. AND its going to be a cook book or new tool. Last year it was my first piece of coated Lodge.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1. Convenience foods @ grocery store.
2. House stuff. Would rather have this than clothes or makeup ANYDAY.
3. Fast food. Our crazy schedules and my failure to plan is making things worse.
4. Housewares @ Goodwill (when I already have stuff to remake)
5. DH. Sorry, rcannon, but I gotta agree. The man loves his snack foods, magazines, techy gadgets, and random items from Auto Zone.
6. Crafting supplies (although I'm trying to reroute the desire to do or make towards fixing/painting around the house so that it's more productive)

That's all I can think of for now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts