Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It looks better than another year-supply that someone posted a little while back. I'm curious how big it is.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
I'm still not convinced that in an emergency situation a lot of it won't go to waste. Once you open a can with 40-50 servings of eggs or TVP, can you eat it before it goes bad? What if there's no electricity to store things properly?

Reactions: Booklover

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Seriously? I'm sure there are fools buying it. :jug:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I'm waiting for Soylent Green. I think it will be much cheaper.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Look just because you all don't want to know whats going on in the world and live in ignorant bliss, don't post sarcastic little snipes in threads that are aimed at those of us who DO prepare. I think it's ignorant to the max. If you have no interest in the subject then keep you opinions to yourself. I especially don't like the little dig about zombie apocolypse especially that it's coming from the owner of this site.I'm sure it has to do with the stupid CDC thing but still.

ON TOPIC

I think thats a good price. Emergency Essentials 1 year for 1 person is over that price, but they also go by calories. You can go 1600 - 2000 daily calories with their different packages. I've never checked Auagson Farms calorie count in this package.

I buy the seperate ingredients from different companies ( although AF has a better shipping time right now). I combine those I buy with the stuff I grow and can or dehydrate to make our meals

Checked the link. It says 84 cans but theres no carlorie count.

Everything is freeze dried or dehydrated so I don't see a problem keeping it from spoiling. Wheat doesn't go bad. It sits in silos for months at a time. Sugar just needs to stay dry. Same with everything else. Keep the lid on it and keep it dry.
And anyone with any sense knows not to leave stuff out in the sun and heat and weather. I should hope.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I think that's a good price for a 1 year supply for 1 person. I'd just have to get creative in ways to incorporate it into our menus so it wouldn't go to waste

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Everything is freeze dried or dehydrated so I don't see a problem keeping it from spoiling. Wheat doesn't go bad. It sits in silos for months at a time. Sugar just needs to stay dry. Same with everything else. Keep the lid on it and keep it dry.
And anyone with any sense knows not to leave stuff out in the sun and heat and weather. I should hope.
The dry stuff, sure. But how long does an open 2 gallon can of raw eggs last during an emergency when you are without power? I just can't see some of the wet/moist products in that list being safe to eat after about 2 days open without refrigeration.

I won't argue that it's good to prepare and have good stock of food for an emergency -- I have seen hurricane and tornado devastation first hand-- I just question the sensibility of buying items that can't be kept at safe temperature once opened. You just can't depend on refrigeration to be there.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
In case of a zombie apocalypse, I'm hitting up every canned good store in a 50 mile radius instead. I imagine that by then, it'll be free since the grocery store clerk will be missing an arm and drooling.

Reactions: annymoll

·
Unix Ninja
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Someone told me I might have came off wrong with my comment. Meaning they were implying I was making fun of folks that prepare for catastrophe.

I posted the link just to be helpful and show what was was available at Costco for preparing in case of a major event that could change things on earth. (Meteorite, thermonuclear bomb, EMP, earthquake, insert your favorite doomsday scenario here)

:)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Thefrug, don't get your knickers in a Knot. It's good to have a sense of humor from time to time. You should try it. ;) Everyone prepares and stocks up for different reasons, including me.

I would probably buy it if I missed the rapture though. :p

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I actually thought the price was pretty good. But since I need to rotate the food out I am trying to buy family favorites for the stockpile and keep using the older ones. I also look at growing and stockpiling items.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't buy that brand, I buy Harmony House from mail order. They are working on their organic certification. I don't like all the stuff they put in regular, everyday store-bought cans which is why I buy the brand I do. I don't want to stock up on frozen goods because both of my fridges are aging now and I don't want to run and stress if one goes out. It tastes much better than canned IMO also.

You do not need electricity to store it "properly". It is not like a store bought can of ravioli (wet, moist). It is dry. It doesn't become "active" until water is added. It can sit on a shelf and stay good. Scoop what you want and put the lid back on.

The kids like them. Just yesterday my oldest was hungry so he went into my sampler pack and got a spoon of all the veggies he likes, some seasonings and made his own veggie soup for a snack. (I refill my sampler packs for convenience and keep them in a pretty box)

When we got our tax refund, I bought their veggie package ($400ish). I ended up with a coupon (it was either10% or 15% - something I never find at the store for veggies) and free shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.