Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting TMMO. Thought Baby EF was the beginning, but can't seem to get current on everything. Paycheck behind (2 wks). If tithing will be $1000 to the negative a month. My husband working as much OT as he can. I had surgery,but go back to work this week.

$55000 CC debt (medical loss on house) $4800 Student loan(child) $23000 HELOC $140000 Mtg. I don't have car notes, boats, etc. to sell. I've put more in my 1999 windstar this yr. than it's worth. 2 kids in college now and one in 9th grade on the way. No retirement age 48 and husband 49.

Any hope?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Just starting TMMO. Thought Baby EF was the beginning, but can't seem to get current on everything. Paycheck behind (2 wks). If tithing will be $1000 to the negative a month. My husband working as much OT as he can. I had surgery,but go back to work this week.

$55000 CC debt (medical loss on house) $4800 Student loan(child) $23000 HELOC $140000 Mtg. I don't have car notes, boats, etc. to sell. I've put more in my 1999 windstar this yr. than it's worth. 2 kids in college now and one in 9th grade on the way. No retirement age 48 and husband 49.

Any hope?
If I recall from the other thread, your household income is $98,000 a year?

So what you've got is a mess, a big hole, but you've also got a decent sized shovel.

Now - I *personally* do not hold with giving to charity if it means not keeping up the commitments you made to other people. If you have a CC, for instance, you agreed to make the minimum payments - those were the terms of the debt. If you give money to the church but break your word of honor to your creditors - well I personally can't understand how that's "principled".

But - leaving tithing aside - cause that's all I'll say on it - have you put together a budget for your household? Do you know where every dollar is going? Would you be willing to post your budget here? People here are masters at finding leaks.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I agree....if you could post your budget, we may be albe to help. I also agree with the tithing, or just give a much smaller amount....I personally don't think God would mind as long as you are using the money wisely and getting yourself out of a huge hole.

Reactions: Lora88 and piney

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i also agree with holding off the tithing until you are able to meet your monthly expenses- i dont think God would want you not paying back your earthly debts - but thats just me. You can always donate time to the church which is free out of your pocket but something they may really need .

how are the two in college paying for it - are you payimg for it what kind of colleges do they go to local etc??

my kids knew they were on their own for college its either that or we move in with them when it comes time to retire because we cannot afford to pay for college and pay off our debts save for our future. 10 years ago we thought we could but health issues intervened with that idea.

oldest decided to live away and take loans- he is now at home FT working FT and paying them off.

second works PT as a waitress and goes to local CC right now and is paying for her college in cash each semester .

can you or your dh pick up a a way to make more income .
sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and realize that you need to cut back or make more and if theres no where left to cut back making more is the only choice there is .

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any hope?
I think everyone here would say that yes, there is always hope if you're willing to put the effort in.
I hope that your cc has met the shredder. If you are $1000 short a month, where does that $1000 come from? Or is stuff just not getting paid?
How much is your monthly tithe? Your post makes it sound like that's the only thing putting you under. I agree with Greebo (I usually do) that tithing could be amended or suspended until you're in a more stable place. I also understand that is a highly personal decision, it will just make your task a lot more difficult if you don't consider stopping or reducing the tithing temporarily.
A budget would be great. Do you currently know where your money is going? I mean not where you *think* it's going, but where it's really going?

Welcome, and good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Budget

We make $93000 not $98000 sorry typo. I am going to be 2 wks late on my house note and equity this month (it was either that or late on every card and take on all of those fees etc. all loans are current)

One college kid is away- he has scholarships and loans I contribute $300 a month to him-(he works and brings home about 300 mo.)

2nd college kid lives at home. He has loans and works. I pay what loan doesn't cover $2000 yr. He pays gas, books etc.

I just made a budget:

$5758 monthly bring home together

$904 mtg (27 yrs left)
$469 equity(12 yrs left)
$90 Home ins.
$334 car insurance
$400 util (light gas and water)
$700 groceries ( we all take lunches etc)
$200 gas/repairs
$250 meds/copays (premium already deducted)
$150 personal/clothing
$1845 minimum on CC
$300 College #1
$165 college # 2-
$175 cell phones
$185 cable internet home phone

-$409 w/o tithe
-$1159 with

I am going back to work this week after surgery and am trying to get a part time job. We have sold misc. items and my Husband is just now getting OT. We are committed to doing whatever it takes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Could you start to cut back on groceries? $700 for 4 people? I would start canceling or downgrading services that you don't need. Cable, phones, etc. Re-evaluate your insurances. Unplug things that are not in use.

Good luck! :vibes: We all had to start somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Budget

The $700 includes food, cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc. This past two weeks I spent $250 instead of $350 so I'm looking at that, Insurances I've done (^ ded) Cable is only entertainment and in bundle pkg. about to drop landline and downgrade pkg. Will only save $50 though b/c of bundle rate. Cell phone is primary communication with kids.

I have applied for parttime job and probably will get it, but working around other job will get about $200 bring home. My husband's company is giving OT right now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We make $93000 not $98000 sorry typo. I am going to be 2 wks late on my house note and equity this month (it was either that or late on every card and take on all of those fees etc. all loans are current)

One college kid is away- he has scholarships and loans I contribute $300 a month to him-(he works and brings home about 300 mo.)

2nd college kid lives at home. He has loans and works. I pay what loan doesn't cover $2000 yr. He pays gas, books etc.

I just made a budget:

$904 mtg (27 yrs left)
$469 equity(12 yrs left)
$90 Home ins.
$334 car insurance Why is this so high? Because of college students? I would suggest they pay their share.
$400 util (light gas and water) Turn off all lights, unplug things when not in use, turn a/c up or heat down
$700 groceries ( we all take lunches etc)This seems *really* high to me. We have 6 in our family and last month only spent $340 for the month.This is without coupons, you can definitely get that down some.
$200 gas/repairs
$150 personal/clothing Do you need this much *every* month?
$1845 minimum on CC
$300 College #1 I know you'd like to help, but you can't really afford to. Can your child get a few mores hours at work?
$165 college # 2-see above
$175 cell phoneshow many phones? This seems really high, can you lower it at all?
$185 cable internet home phoneCall around, we get all of this for $99 a month, see if you can lower it

-$409 w/o tithe
-$1159 with

I am going back to work this week after surgery and am trying to get a part time job. We have sold misc. items and my Husband is just now getting OT. We are committed to doing whatever it takes.
Welcome!! :) My comments are in red above. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Could you start to cut back on groceries? $700 for 4 people? I would start canceling or downgrading services that you don't need. Cable, phones, etc. Re-evaluate your insurances. Unplug things that are not in use.

Good luck! :vibes: We all had to start somewhere.
I was just going to write the exact same as a start. I usually have a lot of organic grass fed beef, organic pasteurized chicken and turkey, organic grains, brown rice etc many organic fruits and veggies, and tons of food more or less stocked up in my monthly amount. This also includes all my personal HBA products and cleaning. All those are organic and high quality but I make most things from scratch. My budget for the month is less then 500.00 and I could stock warehouses if I spent this every month or more. I have lived in the North, west and midwest and have been able to do this where ever I live. But I do have a garden. I am not saying everything I get has to be organic but I do well on how little I spend, have tons left over, and lunches out of this as well. In fairness I shop in bulk etc. Good luck to you. See where you can cut in the groceries, clothing, cable etc for now.

Also was wondering why your car insurance is so high and wondered if you could shop around for the same insurance at lower cost?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I don't know where you are but $4000. yearly for car ins?? We pay $2500. for 4 people on 2 cars full coverage and MI. is high because of that fund. Does someone have accidents/points. We have Progressive(full coverage/ $500. deduct.)

Groc-depending where you are -that high-imho. Can you bulk cook and freeze. Coupon/stock up.

Clothing-$1800./4 can be reduced. Try out resale. $5/5.00 Fri/Sat.
College cost-You can't afford to help. I can't either. Breaking my heart.
Cell phones we pay $80./4 w/o texting. Sprint. Do you qualify for any work discount from DH. We get $20. knockeed off every month. I told my DS NO tech pkg. doesn't need GPS. Only free phones.
Just chip away,reevalute,shift.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
we have 7 of us i am spending 580 a month for food- personal -cleaning- paper- etc

one of the younger kids does buy lunch so add 60 $ to that a month ( at highest ) so still thats 640 for 7 of us and thats me dh a 22 yo a 19 yo a 16 yo 14 yo and a 9 yo .

ds 22 may buy lunch but he works FT and thats out of his pocket - dh usually takes fruit in to eat and buys a cup of coup for under 2$ so even adding in soup thats only 40$ more so 680$ at most .

when ever we are having money issues two places get cut- any free spending money and food .

and i dontlive in a cheap area many with familys of 4 spend 200-250 a week on groceries its just how i spend it all. just more careful with it .

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i am in NJ we pay ~ 5000 a year for 4 cars 4 drivers no points gpood student discounts etc .

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I don't know where you are but $4000. yearly for car ins?? We pay $2500. for 4 people on 2 cars full coverage and MI. is high because of that fund. Does someone have accidents/points. We have Progressive(full coverage/ $500. deduct.)

Groc-depending where you are -that high-imho. Can you bulk cook and freeze. Coupon/stock up.

Clothing-$1800./4 can be reduced. Try out resale. $5/5.00 Fri/Sat.
College cost-You can't afford to help. I can't either. Breaking my heart.
Cell phones we pay $80./4 w/o texting. Sprint. Do you qualify for any work discount from DH. We get $20. knockeed off every month. I told my DS NO tech pkg. doesn't need GPS. Only free phones.
Just chip away,reevalute,shift.

Yes , just went and got my policy to make sure and we pay 1, 200.00 a year for 3 cars, one a convertible and two high end luxury, 3 drivers full coverage with Progressive. I love Progressive they are so professional, efficient and we had an accident no fault ( deer herd....sigh) and they took care of everything with no hassle. ( Eta: we have no points and good student )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Budget

I am calling cable tonight.

I am watching every penney at the grocery, but don't really know where to cut it. I too buy in bulk, cook every meal, take lunch and use coupons. I think I can get it to $500 a month maybe. This budget was made 2 wks ago and I tried to include everything that I could think of. The personal $150 a month was to cover the average for clothes, hair cuts, school activities for my 9th grader. I do not spend this each month it's just a ball park.

Car insurance is for my car and both sons. My car has full coverage which if I had an emergency fund I would drop, but am too afraid too right now. There's is liability only.

I'm robbing peter to pay paul every payday and it's killing me. I pay all of my bills, but something is always late and I have to pay those fees.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My husband and I are determined to get out of this. Most of the CC is from medical bills and a job loss in 2006 along with my daughter getting sick and my brother being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that year so I didn't work as much.He passed away 19 months later. We also put lawyer fees on CC to get out of a house that the builder had to buy back

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I am calling cable tonight.

I am watching every penney at the grocery, but don't really know where to cut it. I too buy in bulk, cook every meal, take lunch and use coupons. I think I can get it to $500 a month maybe. This budget was made 2 wks ago and I tried to include everything that I could think of. The personal $150 a month was to cover the average for clothes, hair cuts, school activities for my 9th grader. I do not spend this each month it's just a ball park.

Car insurance is for my car and both sons. My car has full coverage which if I had an emergency fund I would drop, but am too afraid too right now. There's is liability only.

I'm robbing peter to pay paul every payday and it's killing me. I pay all of my bills, but something is always late and I have to pay those fees.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My husband and I are determined to get out of this. Most of the CC is from medical bills and a job loss in 2006 along with my daughter getting sick and my brother being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that year so I didn't work as much.He passed away 19 months later. We also put lawyer fees on CC to get out of a house that the builder had to buy back
I am sorry things are so rough right now! Keep your chin up you are coming up with plans, wiling to tweak things as needed, determined and it always seems darkest before the dawn. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

You can do it. Do you happen to have a food co-op near you?

Sending blessings and hugs your way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Budget

In TN. Have 3 cars 1999 Windstar full coverage, 2 2001 Jeeps. No points and both have good student discounts. Will call Progressive. Had my company check last month and they gave me quotes from different places, but this was their best.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
In TN. Have 3 cars 1999 Windstar full coverage, 2 2001 Jeeps. No points and both have good student discounts. Will call Progressive. Had my company check last month and they gave me quotes from different places, but this was their best.
:clap: I hope they can help you. There is a bigger discount if you can pay it all at once. If you tell them you current company, what you have currently they are good at finding a matching policy ( meaning they are at least very ethical and honest if they can match or lower price but not leaving you trying to figure out if you have the same coverage).

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Please rethink this. The alternative is putting your HOUSE AT RISK.

Priorities are:
1) Food
2) Roof
3) Transportation
4) Utilities
5) Essential Clothing

Budget to keep those current FIRST - then other non optional bills, then debts, then optional expenses.

$904 mtg (27 yrs left)
$469 equity(12 yrs left)
$90 Home ins.
$334 car insurance
$400 util (light gas and water)
This is very high.
$700 groceries ( we all take lunches etc)
This is obscene. You can cut that in half. Your kids need to start earning more money and buying their own food
$200 gas/repairs
$150 personal/clothing
For how many people? How many clothes are you buying, and where? Cut this down to $50 and learn to shop thrifty.
$1845 minimum on CC
OUCH - this is gonna hurt.
$300 College #1
$165 college # 2-
Tuition or living expenses? Actually, I don't care. Kids can earn more money.
$175 cell phones
$185 cable internet home phone
Consolidate - cut back. I'm a techie and my cell/cable/phone bills are half yours.

Reactions: LuLuBleen

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.