Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much are u paying? I know the last time I bought it at TS for $18.00..

·
2,688 Posts
Last 2 bags of layer crumbles I bought cost me $ 33 at Country Max. So $ 16.50 each with tax. Is TSC running a sale right now ?
The rest of my grain, I am getting from a local farmer at 60 % of what the store would charge. Thank goodness. I am up to 45 hens right now. In the winter, I end up selling eggs for less to keep them moving and to make sure I can cover the feed bill. I was starting to back up but thank goodness, I got a wholesale order today, and that will move out 12 dz on friday. And 2 other customers taking a several dz each, end of this week.

Reactions: brenda67

·
2,688 Posts
Has anyone else found this deal yet ?

I called around to 3 of our local stores and they don't have this deal.
And the way I understand it, there is no such thing as a TRUE Agway store anymore. They each are privately owned. These stores may or may not, carry a Agway name and can sell Agway products, plus other product lines.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This our local Agway in Millerton,NY......Claverack,NY.......Great Barrington,Mass....I think the sale is only at theses Agway stores though..

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea how I could store several bags? I would like to store a yrs worth.

·
2,688 Posts
I use those big heavy duty plastic containers like one would put garbage in. I also have one metal garbage container. You want a dry storage area where no moisture can get to your feed. Last time I went after feed, I got 7 bags at 50 pounds each. You also want a way to keep the mice and rats out. Not sure how far a bag goes for you. I have 47 adult birds.
I am thinking of switching over to a mash, maybe. It is cheaper at a local grain mill. However, not all chickens like it. Mine did not the last time I tried it. It is wasted easy if you don't have a good feeder. I need to buy a second hanging metal feeder. One thing I do is not to mix the grains. I have the hanging feeder in my first area and that is for layer only. Then I use 3 other small pans for misc grains. Currently one is for oats, one for cracked corn, and sometimes I use wild bird seed as a treat. If I mix the grains, the birds peck out what they want, and spillage occurs. It does get eaten off the ground. My husband mixes grain in the long feeder in the second part of the coop. It seems to work for the most part. I also have 2 hanging hay feeders that hold second cutting hay. I don't like waste and to see them walking on good hay is not a good thing.
One hay rack I made. I used to make wire cages for pets, and sell them. I also did my own sheet metal work for the pans under the cages. My other hay rack is 2 sections of metal rack held together with zip ties. Think 2 small wire dish racks with smaller openings. This way the birds pull the hay through by the piece, and not mouthfulls.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks....I only have 3 girls. I'm going to be buying some more babies @TS in the middle of March..I would like to take advantage of the sale...unless I do the back to eden garden where I grow all their food..

·
Registered
333 Posts
I bought 50# laying pellets and 50% chopped corn yesterday at our local farm store for $29.81. :sigh: That seems to be high, wonder if I could find it cheaper elsewhere. My DH gave away 7 of my chickens to a friend that didn't have any and to lower our feed bill a bit.

·
2,688 Posts
Thanks....I only have 3 girls. I'm going to be buying some more babies @TS in the middle of March..I would like to take advantage of the sale...unless I do the back to eden garden where I grow all their food..
If you buy chicks, then special order and get pullets. Most of the straight run are males. When we got Ameracaunas for niece...we ended up with 10 males and 2 females. Not good.

I I remember what Eden garden is...I think it is like $ 90 ?
You are better off just using small pans and growing your own. DIY.

·
2,688 Posts
I bought 50# laying pellets and 50% chopped corn yesterday at our local farm store for $29.81. :sigh: That seems to be high, wonder if I could find it cheaper elsewhere. My DH gave away 7 of my chickens to a friend that didn't have any and to lower our feed bill a bit.
I found a farmer on craigslist to buy grain from.
Oats are $ 7.75 a 50 pound bag. Cracked corn is $ 9.50 for 50 pounds. Last I paid was $ 8.75.
You can make your own scratch using half oats and half cracked corn.

Last purchase of 2 bags layer crumbles 50# each, cost me $ 33.00

I am going to try a 50# bag of layer mash this coming week at $ 11.45

I am going to plant quite a few sunflowers this spring. What the wild birds don't eat, the rest I can have for the chickens. Anything to keep the cost of grain down.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The grass is starting to grow and get green here in the south. Im going to let mine out to forage when I am home and can be outside alot to watch over them. They love to forage. We have copperheads and I saw a water moc. in my pond last year so maybe they will help clean up some of the small snakes they find too.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you buy chicks, then special order and get pullets. Most of the straight run are males. When we got Ameracaunas for niece...we ended up with 10 males and 2 females. Not good.

I I remember what Eden garden is...I think it is like $ 90 ?
You are better off just using small pans and growing your own. DIY.

I only want pullets..Im looking to buy Australorps only this time around( TS told me that they end up every year with different breeds even heritage breeds...this way I can just buy the minimum of 6 instead of 25)...... If I have no other choice then Ill buy RIR..I will hold the store accountable if I get any roosters at all...

The back to eden garden is on youtube if your interested...Also I can still contact you if you want me to about the Agway deal...jlmk..

·
2,688 Posts
I only want pullets..Im looking to buy Australorps only this time around( TS told me that they end up every year with different breeds even heritage breeds...this way I can just buy the minimum of 6 instead of 25)...... If I have no other choice then Ill buy RIR..I will hold the store accountable if I get any roosters at all...
The back to eden garden is on youtube if your interested...Also I can still contact you if you want me to about the Agway deal...jlmk..
Australorps are nice looking birds.
And so are Rhode Island Reds.
I have 5 black stars now and really like them. They remind me of a buff orpingtons only black in color. I also have 7 wyandottes, 5 red, 2 black/white.

You can call me if you want to. I think the deal is in your area. I would stock up if I could though.

·
2,688 Posts
The grass is starting to grow and get green here in the south. Im going to let mine out to forage when I am home and can be outside alot to watch over them. They love to forage. We have copperheads and I saw a water moc. in my pond last year so maybe they will help clean up some of the small snakes they find too.
Our girls get to go out a few times a week in the winter depending on how cold it is. They usually head for the garage, that has a gravel floor so they can dig holes and dust bath. I am glad we don't have copperheads or water mocs. Just a few grass snakes every now and then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts