Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
J12-Sometimes it rains hard in the budget. Try an anticipate instead of react in your budget. And yes easier said than done. I have a certain amt for car repairs built in esp since we have older cars and now 1 new one for the 1st time in years.
I have it down to what we do every month. Both cars get oil changes the same month every 3-4 months w/ coupon. All our pets are vaccianted in June -Sept. for cats and dogs have their months. Dental 2x a year each person 1 month off. I allow dental budget the month after because after ins. I will owe a bit. I know we spend $116. a month on meds but any extra goes in my $100. a month medical budget. I know Aug. is my life ins.and the home ins. and that May/Nov. are the 6 mon. car/van ins. bills.
It took a long time and surprises do happen. I just wanted to let you know you can do it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm of course joining this challenge. I think for the first part I will post savings goals and after we get our taxes and allocate it accordingly- we can list our debt goals.

We really need to have some savings goals tho. I will think about them hard and come back to post them.

Welcome to the new people joining!!! :) hi again to all my friends from the last thread.

T2Budget) FW gave you great advice. Look on Pinterest for crockpot meals and once a month mom for ideas on once a month cooking. That way you make your own grab and go food. You can for sure PM me for ideas- I know all about being busy. I feed a family of 5 on $400 a month, DH and I work full time jobs, we both go to school currently, and our kids are 7,4,8 months (she eats baby food so it's in the budget!!)

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Yeah! to my squirrelly ways!!! I was looking for nail clippers and opened a jewelry box I hadnt been into for some time $260. put there when Dh and I were fighting.lol
Also $20. in quarters.
Need to get DD to the bank for her rent.
Then off to Aldis. Broccoli for soup I have but I want Cauliflower for cheese soup.
peppers for chili. and many other aast. money extenders. Hate their bread,soup and cereal but caesar salald mix $1.99 delicious.

Time-we do a lot of Casserole,soups,spaghetti,and chili. I also make a whole loaf of french toast at a time,cool it and freeze in the bread sleeve. 2x down in the reg. toaster to eat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lots of great suggestions…I’m definitely going to look into bulk cooking and post how it goes.

Warrior - I really like the idea of making french toast but don't you think its cheaper to buy on sale than making and freezing it? just curious

·
Registered
83 Posts
Boy it was a busy week. I have the majority of my holiday baking done. Yea, considering two days was making lefse. This will save me a lot of money versus buying treats.

I don't know how much my car repair bill is going to be. I am getting an alignment done on monday for $50 after work will pay for that out right. Will probably have to clean out my savings to cover the tires, oil change on my car and new battery cable on the expedition (glad it was just that). Then time to start a new year.

I will have to look at how much I will designate for bill paying/bef saving. Again I think taking out my grocery, splurge and clothing budget will help a lot.

I have been making lots of freezer meals. This has saved me several times over.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Time-ok. You have to go 2 ways w/ this thinking. I shop at Aldis to get the best price regular eggs and also clearance on bread. So when I do it you can bet i got the best ing. at the best price I can.
Then part 2 is mine is better than store bought anyday. And that if you have stuff in reach at home you can nip restaurant/fast food eating out of the budget. My family would rather be home eating my french toast than go to the restaurant. Or have Aunt Jemima or whoever. No tip/no gas. 1 pan washed once. See how it cascades. More time to do other things.
I used to make casseroles in the morning before they went to school and cool it outside so I could get it in the fridge so the teens came home to dinner and I came home to NO nagging and whining (at least not about food).

I get a sale loaf of bread from Kroger for $.49-.89. and cartons of eggs maybe $2,50 these days. I use non stick pans so no oil or butter. I do thin the 12 eggs (prob. fewer) w/ a bit of milk 1/2 cup. So I estimate $4. for a loaf. 20 slices in a loaf.10 breakfast for a loaf so .40 per breakfast plus syrup/jelly/butter all of which I get on sale. OK .80 for piggy Dh's. So for me no. But i value the HM more than frozen from a store too. You will find thats what works for me and you have to figure out what works for your family. Things lie this were imperative when I had teens and worked.

Made sloppy joes from clearance 1# frozen baggie of ground beef $3.39/2 and clearance buns .89 and canned sloppy joe mix $1. sale. We have enough for Dh to take to lunch Mon.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm in! We became debt free except the house last year, but continued to use the cc and pay them in full monthly. Well, usually I put too much on them and ended up borrowing from savings. After paying for all our Christmas using the cc (and paying it off) we now have no savings. We also need to pay for a spring Disney trip. After those things I want to fully fund my sinking funds and start doing several car repairs as well as some family doctor trips.

GOALS:
Disney: $2400
Other Disney expenses: $1000
Savings: $1000
Car Repairs: $500
Doctor visits: $500
Sinking Funds $3000
increase savings

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
871 Posts
Savings goals:

I would like our medical deductible funded-$1500
I would like new tires on the Nissan $400, and car repair funded $1000
Start a PTO envelope for hubby so when he has a short week it's not a biggie.

I would also like to start putting money more reliably into our subcategories (kid fun, April, Easter, st Nic, Halloween, date night, hunting, etc) because I'm sick of trying to budget it in that moment. I already have an automatic transfer set up for medical, Xmas and land up north. I need to make some for the others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a boat load of debt right now. I intend to attack it full force this upcoming year! I need to budget my money more carefully, and account for every penny. I did this a few years back and it really helped. Had a notebook on hand and wrote down what every penny went to! I will get back to it! I have credit cards to pay off, a car, mortgage, those are the biggies, the rest are reoccurring monthly bills.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Paid $140 towards loan principal after regular payment made. Used overtime pay and money saved past 15 days on no junk food or soda or eating at work. Also a while back our respite client parents gave us Badger football tickets for Christmas gift. I had to work so mine was sold to dh's friend for $80. I decided to add this as well. Added a little extra so the balance came out an even number :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 7-night Caribbean cruise coming up in March that I need to save every penny for so I probably won't start any savings goals until then but here are my 6 goals for 12/16/16:

-Increase my income to at least $2,500 a month. I work from home and publish reviews and informational articles on a few websites that I own. I get paid from the advertising and the affiliate links. I plan on increasing my income by publishing more posts on my websites. I will write some of the posts myself and then pay others to write some of the posts for me. I hate the idea of spending money on writers but I don't have the time or energy to write all the posts myself. I would like to have at least 100 articles, 800 words each, posted on each of my websites by the end of June, I own 15 websites so that would be 1,500 articles. Unfortunately, I may have to use my line of credit to get these articles written. I should be able to pay off the line of credit within a few months after the articles are published online. As the saying goes, "you have to spend money to make money".

-File and pay my taxes by April 15 and then figure out how to pay quarterly estimated taxes. Take the estimated taxes out of every paycheck (I get paid once a month) and put the money into a savings account dedicated just for taxes. Then use that account to pay my taxes quarterly.

-Invest 25% of every paycheck back into my business. This is so I won't have to use a line of credit in the future when I need articles written or if I decide to start a new website/business model (I would love to try selling private label products on Amazon but the initial investment is very high).

-Save up at least $2,000 and buy a new-to-me car. I might need more than $2k for a decent car, especially since I would like a small SUV, but $2k should be a good starting point. I currently don't have a car and, although I don't leave the house very often, it sucks trying to find a ride when I need to go somewhere.

-Save up at least $1k for an emergency fund.

-Figure out my expenses for the next year (taxes, insurance on new car, vet bills for my beagle, flea and tick medicine for my beagle, Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, etc) and start a sinking fund.

-Pay off one of my student loans. I have approximately $35,000 in student loan debt - broken up into 7 different loans. The loan with the lowest balance is around $1,500. I should be able to get that loan paid off by 12/16/16.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Got my first Christmas present...and unexpected $10. It isn't much, but it is the beginning of a Disney payment! Also, it looks like two utility bills are about $60 lower that I budgeted! If I get Disney gift cards from Sam's Club I can get $300 worth of gift cards for $285, saving an additional $15, so that is my first goal: $285!

Reactions: NikoSan999 and KimB

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Payday yesterday-$100 of overtime pay to loan principal-also continue to spend less not buying soda and drinking tap water. When we are on the road and dh fills with gas, I stay in the car, if I go into the station/store I get tempted with snacks. I bring my own water bottle and something to snack on from home, lately it has been gifted treats from friends. Saving $2 most work days by bringing my own food from home. Keeping house slightly cooler and dressing warmer at home, it makes for better sleep as well. Letting dh do most of the grocery shopping, he works part time in one and he sees the good deals when stocking the shelves. (His only downfall is potato chips). He looks at the competitor sale flyers and knows the best deals. If they are at the store in the town I work he has me pick the item up. Little changes and planning can make a big difference in saving.

·
Registered
870 Posts
My goal is to pay off my car. Only about $5,600 to go after I make my first-of-the-month payment! My second goal is to build up my baby emergency fund.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in!

Right now are finances are pretty extreme - we're struggling to pay all of the bills. So the first goal, while not very concrete, is to up our income. My husband is on the hunt for a better job with more hours, he's partway through the registration process with Uber, and I'm hunting for something part time to fit in around kids and school.

This last year we improved significantly on controlling where and how our money goes out, so I'm looking forward to an even better year!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Welcome in Batsheva, we will be delighted to see your progress.

It is ok TDN, thanks for wishing us the best.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have 2 bills, will begin the small one and then snow ball.

21 - 40 of 200 Posts