Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The programme that I follow originates from the programme first used by alcoholics anonymous.

I have used many 12 step meetings and fellowships in my time starting at A.A. with my father and also moving to Coda (for co-dependants) and O.O (Overcomers outreach for Christians in recovery)

There are many 12 step groups now covering all sorts of recovery.
Narcotics, Over-eaters, Smoking, Depression to name just a few!!

I believe that the 12 step programme has grown so large because it works! (my own opinion of course)

It is a spiritual programme and one that I can share with you. I will always answer any questions that I can and I welcome private messages and e-mails from others who do not feel ready to post.

I am working on sharing my story, although I'm worried about how 'appropriate' that is here in the village.

So for our groups (taken from the 12 steps and traditions of R.A - Adapted from the original 12 & 12 from A.A.) here is what I try to live:

Our common welfare should come first: personal recovery depends upon (R.A) unity.

For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants: they do not govern.

The only requirement for (R.A) membership is a desire to recover.

(this is three of the 12 traditions)
I apreciate that the 12 steps may not seem applicable to 'some' peoples lives, I respect that and the only reason I post them are to give you an insight into the programme that 'I' follow so as you can more understand my other posts.

And the 12 steps as adapted from A.A. are:

1. We admitted we were powerless over (self-destructive behaviour ) *different groups have different lines here.* And that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power Greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Thank-you, Bev.:) I imagine we take it one step at a time? Is there litturature on each step, we can read somewhere, to help us more?

Thanks so much.:heartsm:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Thank you sharing this Bev. When I come out of this jittery feeling I'm in right now I will read it more throughly.

I appreciate all you have already done to get this set up. Just found it today and you give me hope.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
{{{{{Bev}}}}}

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are all very kind and I hope that those of you suffering are doing well in your recovery. :hugz: to you all.

There is lots of info on-line about the 12 steps and there are also books following the steps for all kinds of recoveries.

There would be far too many for me to keep posting them but if you have a recovery in mind e.g. depression, over-eaters, alcoholics, narcotics etc. You can either post here or e-mail me privately and I will do my best to find you some helpful links to follow.

There should also be numbers you can call in your local phone book for local meetings - If you can't find them I could probably help again through web links.

I haven't abandoned the depression support I am ALWAYS here to speak to if you would like and I will be posting more information as time and family commitments allow. Hopefully some of it will be of use.

Much love to you all in recovery - Bev. xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts