·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and make sure you click on the link at the top of the article for 9 more tips :)

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
That's why I use a real butcher. Local beef from this area, they cut it in their store. I can get anything cut any way I like it and it hasn't been injected with anything or flipped over to cover the brown parts.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I used to be a butcher and many of those things are spot on.

Here are some tips for you as well...

Stocking up...
Buy steaks in the dead of winter.
Buy roasts in mid summer.

They mention Prime as the best beef to buy. I disagree. IMO, Choice is tastier due to more marbling, but that is just my personal preference.

Info you may or may not know...

A Porterhouse steak is actually a NY strip on one side and Filet Mignon on the other side of the bone. T-bone is the same except there is less filet.

A chuck roast or blade roast is excellent for stew meat.

Prime rib- there is a lot of confusion with this cut of beef.
This piece is where the following cuts come from:
Rib steak - I would take this over a porterhouse any day.
Delmonico steak is just a fancy way to say rib eye. Take the "cap" off of a rib steak and there you have the rib eye.
Prime rib is also known as a rib roast.

Don't always buy the leanest possible piece of meat, it may not be that tender.

Lastly- If you shop at the chain stores, watch for deals on whole boneless pork loins. This is one of the pieces of meat I see most often on sale at a good price. It's boneless so you can cut it yourself for roasts, chops... whatever.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I know we have an honest butcher, plus he doesn't have any real competition here so no need to lie.. My brother also has been one for years so I got a lot of do and don't do..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I didn't check out the web site but my brother is a butcher and he told me not to buy pork ribs if the bone is wide because that is from an old hog not a young one....young ones taste better...I was buying ribs on sale in one store and could never figure out why they just didn't taste as good now I know

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
This is one reason I like to raise as much of our own meat and have the local butcher process it as I specify.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts