Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The apples are going to get us. DS loves them and eats one everyday.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The apples are going to get us. DS loves them and eats one everyday.
Apples
Current average price: $1.56 per pound
Price change (from Q1): up 11 cents
Percent change: 7.6%
Projected change for 2011: 3%-4%
11 cents is going to get you? Its still cheaper than a doctor's visit.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
are those really staples though? bagged salad, bacon, and orange juice?
Hm. According to wiki, (ha ha yes I had to go there) it would depend on your household. But I certainly don't consider those staples, I think of things like breads and grains as staples. Although in my house hot chocolate is a staple 'cause I have it every morning with my coffee.:coffee3:

·
19,119 Posts
Interesting - our bacon is over $6 a pound.

Yes, you can freeze milk - thank goodness!!

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Probably not staples but I buy most of those every week or two except for deli ham which I buy in a pack with coupon and bacon which i totally quit buying my family loves it bought turkey bacon this weekend going to try it. Groceries are so expensive now food is a luxery? can't spell

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The only things we buy from that list are vegetable oil, flour and sometimes apples. We get whole wheat flour in 50# bags from the co-op but I assume that price will go up too. We grow all our potatoes and buy apples from a local orchard in the fall for applesauce and to store for a few months. We have several apple trees too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Interesting article.

Potatoes - we find out we cannot buy in bulk, (like from costco), there always 1/4 bag of the spuds starting to sprouts before we finish the whole 15-20 lbs.

Eggs - the tips from the article will not work for me, in our local farmer's market, the cost is $4.99 per dozen & those are regular eggs, for organic eggs would be $9 per dozen. We buy from costco instead.

We buy from CSA for beef, pork & lamb, pay every 6 months. I think it will be reasonable to assume the price will go up this Aug.

I notice that the costs of all kinds of fruits have gone up considerably, not just apples.

The tomatoes in farmers market is about $3.99 per pound, again, those are regular ones; for the organic or heirlooms types, another $1-1.50 more per pound.

Thanks for the link to the article. Need to plan ahead how to budget the rising of food costs.

Edit: I notice the price of veg. oil went up since last year. We now buy 3 types, canalo oil for cooking, veg oil for deep frying, ext. virgin olive oil for salad dressing.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Lowest I saw on apples this week was $1.29 per pound.

·
8,714 Posts
The whole milk is going to kill us. Both kids have to drink whole milk and we go through a gallon every 2-3 days.
~ A $.16 increase X 3 times a week X 52 weeks is a $25 increase over the entire year.
My older kids were your kids ages when we lived through $4-4.50 a gallon milk. You just have to cut and trim things from other areas of your budget to make up the difference.
I decided that dd#2 will have organic milk when she starts drinking it later this year. I don't even wanna think about the cost of that. :thud:~

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
~ A $.16 increase X 3 times a week X 52 weeks is a $25 increase over the entire year.
My older kids were your kids ages when we lived through $4-4.50 a gallon milk. You just have to cut and trim things from other areas of your budget to make up the difference.
I decided that dd#2 will have organic milk when she starts drinking it later this year. I don't even wanna think about the cost of that. :thud:~
I like looking at the small picture and the woe is me aspect of this thankyouverymuch. ;)

Over the course of a year, $25 isn't much. On top of everything else that is rising that we need, it all adds up. Other things will make the chopping board before the whole milk though. Such as pop. I am on day 4 with only 1 pop and I haven't had the DT's yet.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The problem is that the price increase of one or two items is fairly easy to absorb or work around but when everything is up that is when it gets to be a challenge.

I think for me some of those items are definantly staples I like to have on hand: milk, apples, etc.... others you could easily eliminate or cut back.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I became a vegetarian to combat the high grocery prices. I've also cut back to drinking only water, milk and coffee. (The milk is about 1/2 cup a day for said coffee).

It's easy to break down the prices to one thing adding up to 11 cents. It's when that 11 cents is multiplied by 3 or 4 family members, 7 days a week on about 50 food items each. It doesn't sound like much but try adding 33 cents to 3 meals a day 365 times a year.

Rounding slightly for the sake of ease, $365 per family member per year. And that is if every food item ONLY increases by 11 cents.

Yeah, you know me. Always looking on the bright side.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I became a vegetarian to combat the high grocery prices. I've also cut back to drinking only water, milk and coffee. (The milk is about 1/2 cup a day for said coffee).

It's easy to break down the prices to one thing adding up to 11 cents. It's when that 11 cents is multiplied by 3 or 4 family members, 7 days a week on about 50 food items each. It doesn't sound like much but try adding 33 cents to 3 meals a day 365 times a year.

Rounding slightly for the sake of ease, $365 per family member per year. And that is if every food item ONLY increases by 11 cents.

Yeah, you know me. Always looking on the bright side.
Here, coffee alone has went up close to $2.00 a cannister...that's more than 11cents.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Oh no, not my beloved potatoes. :cry: That is a staple in my diet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts